Prospect Info: Lukas Vejdemo

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Yeah, I think there is a 100% correct decision. It's charging. Leave that one up for debate, and the line between right or wrong will get a whole lot blurry. This is how you know if it's charging if setting this precedent (ie. do you want to see these hits every game) puts other players in danger.
It’s not the hit that was dangerous, it was the arm extension....arm extension is not a hit, it’s a clothesline

Reactions: Natey

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
He took three strides before the hit, charging is accelerating to make a hit from a distance.

Charging definition: "Charging in hockey is when a player charges an opponent and makes contact with them, whether it be by skating, or jumping, into them. This can occur anywhere on the ice, and what differentiates it from a standard body check, is the distance traveled to make the hit.
The general rule of thumb is that if a player hits another from three or more skating strides away, it will likely be called a charging. However, it is at the referee’s discretion to determine what that “distance” is."

He went from his blue line to on the other side of the red line, while gaining speed. A clean open ice hit cannot accelerate into his target. He was clearly accelerating into his target.
Took three strides of which two of them was when he was skating backwards....after he changed direction I see one stride, maybe a second last second but I don’t believe as it looks like he’s bracing more for the hit.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
He is taking 3 strides. A stride in the definition of charging is any movement of the skate that leads to acceleration. Therefore stride or crossover, there is no difference made.
42.1 Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner. Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.

This is what the NHL rulebook says.

It's also vague as f***.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
He took three strides before the hit, charging is accelerating to make a hit from a distance.

Charging definition: "Charging in hockey is when a player charges an opponent and makes contact with them, whether it be by skating, or jumping, into them. This can occur anywhere on the ice, and what differentiates it from a standard body check, is the distance traveled to make the hit.
The general rule of thumb is that if a player hits another from three or more skating strides away, it will likely be called a charging. However, it is at the referee’s discretion to determine what that “distance” is."

He went from his blue line to on the other side of the red line, while gaining speed. A clean open ice hit cannot accelerate into his target. He was clearly accelerating into his target.
Ugh. He was skating with his head down and got punished for it. Ne needs to defend him, he messed up. Clean hit

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
Can't find the link right now, but the head of Allsvenskan's referees in Sweden called it a clean hit.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Ugh. He was skating with his head down and got punished for it. Ne needs to defend him, he messed up. Clean hit
If you call a hit clean where the hitter has his arms up, then I question what you think this sport should be.

If I'm walking down the street in a shady neighbourhood and get murdered, is that my fault?

Reactions: Et le But

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Took three strides of which two of them was when he was skating backwards....after he changed direction I see one stride, maybe a second last second but I don’t believe as it looks like he’s bracing more for the hit.

He turned his back to his target, as Ds do. This isn't a grey zone, they do this to stay safe.

Again, it doesn't matter at all in what direction the strides are, strides = speed = distance.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
He’s having a pretty good year with Laval.

He’s been playing as the 2C and put up 9 points in 11 games so far.

What’s the verdict here? NHL future or not. He’s 25.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013

As much as I like what he is doing right now in the A. Nhl is big time faster. He will have to adjust. He is 25. Not that old, but not that young either. He should certainly deserve a test. But imo, if you ask me whos has the best futur imo in the A is Ylonen..

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017

I think he is NHL ready. He will need a break to get into the roster, but the fact that he has size, plays a strong 2 way game and can play C is very helpful.. Especially as it's looking like Poeling is going to be a winger at least to start. If we end up trading Danault or there is an injury I expect him to get a shot.... most likely scenario is that he ends up bouncing around before establishing himself as an NHLer or KHLer...

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

If that was is first season in NA maybe but after 3 years he isn’t dominant enough to think he can translate to the NHL. he could play in the NHL but he won’t be a factor...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I never believed he could put it together consistently, I would think of him as around what Evans is but maybe likely not as good.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Would there be any merit to playing him at 4C over Byron when Evans is scratched? Or are we better served just having him helping out our better prospects in the minors?

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2021-12-12_16-33-39.png

upload_2021-12-12_16-33-50.png

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Vejdemo skates well, has decent size and is very smart. I don't see how he can't carve himself out a career similar to Nate Thompson.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
Vejdemo skates well, has decent size and is very smart. I don't see how he can't carve himself out a career similar to Nate Thompson.
European players generally don't stick around in North America to have Nate Thompson-like careers.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
There’s really no reason why we have to watch Paquette when Vejdemo could easily fulfill the same role.
Vejdemo is Danault for Laval. He is excellent in shutting down high octane players.

Reactions: 417

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
European players generally don't stick around in North America to have Nate Thompson-like careers.
Perhaps but if he is realistic about what his upside is as an NHLer...this is what he is.
He could play reliable 4th line minutes right now and probably help.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Vejdemo could carve out an NHL career, but he would have to want to stay in NA and probably bounce around a bit...

Cookie007

Mar 23, 2011
Don’t see a long term future for the guy. Reminds me of a de la rose. Solid defensive that will make coach happy. But his offensive side sucks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad