ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
EWOlnqnXgAYAfV2

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Lukas Vejdemo’s ability to adapt earned him an NHL shot

“The centre brought everything to the table, and will look to stick in the NHL. Vejdemo is one of the most versatile players in the entire Montreal Canadiens organization in terms of his skill set. This year in the American Hockey League, he played on every line. He played on the power play and on the penalty kill. And he excelled in every role.”

“That isn’t to say that Vejdemo doesn’t have skill of his own. When the puck is on his stick, he can make plays. It’s not a major part of his game, but he doesn’t look out of place in a supporting offensive role, which makes him fit up and down the lineup in the AHL, and a sneaky bottom-six option in the NHL.”

“Despite the drop off in production, Vejdemo continued to contribute in other ways, including the penalty kill and defensively. He provided leadership on a team lacking professional experience.”

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He should get a couple more years on a two way deal without too much difficulty. He's a good contributor at the AHL level and he showed that he can be an injury call up on the big team and at least look decent playing jabroni minutes. You need to have a few of them around .

And selecting those kinds of guys in the 3rd round is good.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I doubt he's ahead of Dauphin or Evans.

Needs to show more to make the 4th line.

I would agree with you that Evans and Dauphin are ahead of him. But he's not too far from a 4th line role, either. He needs some more time in the AHL for sure.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I would agree with you that Evans and Dauphin are ahead of him. But he's not too far from a 4th line role, either. He needs some more time in the AHL for sure.

Ideally I have Byron and Lehkonen on the wings of the 4th line, with Dauphin at center. I hope Evans can win a top 9 wing spot. Imo he at least has the potential to bring more offense than Lehkonen. And we need his size over Byron. But Byron was really playing well down the stretch. He may force his way back into the top 9.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think it's over for Vedgy, he will stay in Sweden, with all the new contracts.

it's possible but I would think it's more likely he's back then not although I had started to wonder as he was terrible after being sent down to Laval at the end of the season. That said he was having a career year before the NHL call up so I don't see the harm in giving him another year to see what he can do although now the covid situation could change things for him as the Habs could give him his QO and retain his rights but if he opted to say play in the SHL vs not knowing if the AHL will have a season or not.

The other thing of course is the roster and what plans management has for it in the off-season. Currently we are at 34 contracts plus Domi and Mete we know will be signed so 36, leaving us with 10-12 spots open. With Domi we would have only 10 forwards for the Habs unless Kotka is there which would be 11. Laval badly needs some AHL vets at forward that can put points on the board in a big way. But even after that plus maybe a NHL backup, outside of trades there should be room for him on a 1 year deal.

Carl182

Mar 31, 2019
it's possible but I would think it's more likely he's back then not although I had started to wonder as he was terrible after being sent down to Laval at the end of the season. That said he was having a career year before the NHL call up so I don't see the harm in giving him another year to see what he can do although now the covid situation could change things for him as the Habs could give him his QO and retain his rights but if he opted to say play in the SHL vs not knowing if the AHL will have a season or not.

The other thing of course is the roster and what plans management has for it in the off-season. Currently we are at 34 contracts plus Domi and Mete we know will be signed so 36, leaving us with 10-12 spots open. With Domi we would have only 10 forwards for the Habs unless Kotka is there which would be 11. Laval badly needs some AHL vets at forward that can put points on the board in a big way. But even after that plus maybe a NHL backup, outside of trades there should be room for him on a 1 year deal.
I agree Vedjemo is good depth, can play all three forwards positions, can play the PK and Jojo seems to like him. I hope he is back but doubt it.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Which in my mind is a huge indicator of the Habs' current thinking regarding his future

I wouldn't read too much into that. The team had a limited amount of roster spots they can bring in the bubble.

The only Europeans that came were the ones that were in the line-up (Kotkaniemi, Armia, Lehkonen, and Tatar). And there was Folin who also came from Europe, and even though he didn't play, he is a player with NHL experience. And we know Romanov was there mainly because they wanted to help him get acclimated.

As for Vejdemo and Leskinen, they weren't going to bring them all the way from Europe, go through the quarantine, and attend camp when the Habs already knew they weren't going to bring them to Toronto. I'm sure if Vejdemo was in North America, he would have been at least at camp, even if he would be cut.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I wouldn't read too much into that. The team had a limited amount of roster spots they can bring in the bubble.

The only Europeans that came were the ones that were in the line-up (Kotkaniemi, Armia, Lehkonen, and Tatar). And there was Folin who also came from Europe, and even though he didn't play, he is a player with NHL experience. And we know Romanov was there mainly because they wanted to help him get acclimated.

As for Vejdemo and Leskinen, they weren't going to bring them all the way from Europe, go through the quarantine, and attend camp when the Habs already knew they weren't going to bring them to Toronto. I'm sure if Vejdemo was in North America, he would have been at least at camp, even if he would be cut.

Vejdemo is good injury replacement depth while he's still in the organization.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
On Vejdemo from AVSLÖJAR: Klubbarna som slåss om NHL-forwarden:

On Sunday, Södertälje can face Vita Hästen in the Skoda Trophy.
At the same time, the two clubs are fighting, according to Sportbladet's information, to sign a contract with NHL forward Lukas Vejdemo, 24.

NHL loans are pouring into the hockey allsvenskan on a broad front. Another name that is highly topical is Montreal's Lukas Vejdemo . The farm-raised forward, who has SDE as his mother club, left Sweden in 2018 and has for the past two years belonged to Montreal's organization.

Last season, the skilled center made his NHL debut and was registered for a total of seven games. In the seventh game, against Nashville, he also had to score his first NHL goal.
Vejdemo is now highly relevant for games in the Hockeyallsvenskan, but a prerequisite is that he first completes a new contract with the Montreal Canadiens.

Since SHL has banned short-term contracts for NHL players who do not have a contract in Sweden, it is in that case the Allsvenskan that applies and preferably a club near Stockholm, where Vejdemo has an apartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad