Sportsnet: Lucic waives NMC for expansion draft

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
The narrative and why it was a positive trade for the Oilers was always the buyout factor, what are you talking about? Neal having a decent year was just a bonus but basis of the deal was always the ability to buy out Neal.
The narrative has changed multiple times.

First it was that "Neal is by far the better player, Flames have to protect Lucic and if Neal doesn't work out they can buy him out. Massive fleecing by Holland."

Then it changed to "Flames have to protect Lucic and will lose a good player plus Neal can be bought out."

Now it's just down to "Neal can be bought out", meanwhile Lucic won't be bought out because he is still a productive player.

By the way, the buyout cap hit of both players at this point is down to a difference of about $1.8M more for Lucic over the 4 years, real dollars are almost the same. Cap hit is cheaper for Neal the first 2 years and cheaper for Lucic the last 2 yrs.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Flames are lucky he saves tbem an ED spot. Having said that, he won't get picked, it was still a terrible trade, and honestly do they even have many players worth protecting?

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
The narrative has changed multiple times.

First it was that "Neal is by far the better player, Flames have to protect Lucic and if Neal doesn't work out they can buy him out. Massive fleecing by Holland."

Then it changed to "Flames have to protect Lucic and will lose a good player plus Neal can be bought out."

Now it's just down to "Neal can be bought out", meanwhile Lucic won't be bought out because he is still a productive player.

By the way, the buyout cap hit of both players at this point is down to a difference of about $1.8M more for Lucic over the 4 years, real dollars are almost the same. Cap hit is cheaper for Neal the first 2 years and cheaper for Lucic the last 2 yrs.
The narrative was ALWAYS the bolded minus the much better player part. Neal had a really good start to last year which was more of a bonus than it was an actual expectation of how he would perform in Edmonton.

At the end of the day, both teams moved on from contracts and players they didn’t want. No need for a pissing contest.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I wonder if Carey Price might be convinced to waive in order to protect Allen. Worse case scenario is he gets picked and is much closer to home, and given the Vegas example, a better chance to win than in Montreal and out of the insane pressure cooker. Actually I think he might want to be picked.

Reactions: Sweetpotato

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If he didnt waive they had to expose Backlund or Dube

Also that trade was a win for the Flames, Neal was a lockerroom cancer and Looch is lockerroom leader
That trade was a win for both teams. It's just hard to see it because Neal wasn't a fit in Calgary and Lucic wore his welcome out in Edmonton. Both fanbases can't believe that the player they got could ever be as bad as they player they traded.

WestCoastFinnie

Oct 20, 2018
Considering how frequently we were told by all fan bases how his contract could never be moved and we'd be stuck with him because he'd never waive, I wouldn't hold your breath.

It's cute how the narrative around him changed the instant he became a flame though. So very cute. But more to the point, anyone speaking in absolutes is generally an idiot anyways so who needs their validation.
L of a comment. Go next

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Flames are lucky he saves tbem an ED spot. Having said that, he won't get picked, it was still a terrible trade, and honestly do they even have many players worth protecting?

How is it a terrible trade? Signing Neal was a terrible signing. The Flames managed to get a useful player back and a 3rd, plus a slightly lower cap hit. Lucic is overpaid by 2-3 million, but that was sunk cost the moment they signed Neal.

As far as a buyout goes, I'd rather have Lucic for $5.25 and $5.25 than a buyout plus retention for $2,666,667, $2,666,667, $1,916,667, and $1,916,667.

Ledge And Dairy

That trade was a win for both teams. It's just hard to see it because Neal wasn't a fit in Calgary and Lucic wore his welcome out in Edmonton. Both fanbases can't believe that the player they got could ever be as bad as they player they traded.
I said both teams were happy to you in a different comment already. A win for the Flames does not necessarily make it a loss for the Oilers. The person I quoated in this one made a very ignorant comment regarding the trade and "Calgary not having enough players worth protecting"

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
If I was Seattle, I'd claim him. It would be similar to the Knights trading for Reaves shortly after expansion. More money attached, but he's a rich man's Reaves.

Good leader for the youth. Good enforcer to draw in fans to the Kraken. Only 2 years left, with some cap already retained.

RyCanadian

Apr 23, 2021
He could be a good fit in Seattle but I don't think they will select him from the Flames. Maybe they will. Time will tell.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If I was Seattle, I'd claim him. It would be similar to the Knights trading for Reaves shortly after expansion. More money attached, but he's a rich man's Reaves.

Good leader for the youth. Good enforcer to draw in fans to the Kraken. Only 2 years left, with some cap already retained.
As a fan of both teams, I don't know how else to express hox mixed my feelings would be if Looch was taken.

Flames fan in me:
  • f***. I love Looch, he's one guy that gives an honest effort every shift, is great with the youngers guys and is one of our few physical players.
  • Yes, love saving that cap hit.
Kraken fan in me:
  • Yes! I love Looch. He'll be a great leader for a new team and guarantees us fans something entertaining to watch.
  • He's not worth his cap hit.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
As a fan of both teams, I don't know how else to express hox mixed my feelings would be if Looch was taken.

Flames fan in me:
  • f***. I love Looch, he's one guy that gives an honest effort every shift, is great with the youngers guys and is one of our few physical players.
  • Yes, love saving that cap hit.
Kraken fan in me:
  • Yes! I love Looch. He'll be a great leader for a new team and guarantees us fans something entertaining to watch.
  • He's not worth his cap hit.

Who do you think Seattle will be targeting from Calgary? Looks to me like that blueline situation is too ripe for exploitation for Seattle to consider Lucic without a nice bribe, but I might be off my rocker.

Ogi1Kenobi

Dec 25, 2008
Who do you think Seattle will be targeting from Calgary? Looks to me like that blueline situation is too ripe for exploitation for Seattle to consider Lucic without a nice bribe, but I might be off my rocker.
I'm guessing Seattle is taking either Giordano or Kylington. It really depends on if management want a veteran leader, with name recognition, but a high cap hit, or if they want a young player with potential but has not been given a chance to prove himself.

Reactions: Peat

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
It would be nice if older, less productive, higher and longer cap Zach Parise would do the same for the Wild.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
That is a classy move by Milan. Say what you want but he just did that team and the room a solid by helping the Flames be better.

If Eriksson didn't nix the deal he was going to Edmonton for Lucic. Blocked a Vancouver guy from living his kid fantasy.
That extra year would be awful but at least Milan would have made us a tougher team and been able to produce vs carrying around the cheque cashing muppet known as Loui Eriksson like a Weekend at Berney's movie.

Hated him in 2011 but just got some respect from me.

Ledge And Dairy

Ripe with exploitation? Who a 38 year old Gio or a pushed down the deth charts Kylington isnt exactly cream of the crop. There is no chance Calgary exposes any of Hanifin, Andersson, or Tanev, and Valimaki is exempt.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Ripe with exploitation? Who a 38 year old Gio or a pushed down the deth charts Kylington isnt exactly cream of the crop. There is no chance Calgary exposes any of Hanifin, Andersson, or Tanev, and Valimaki is exempt.

I'd have assumed Gio - either as a 1 year shot of leadership who maybe goes at the deadline for a good price, or as an instant flip - would be an attractive asset. Which might be me being out of touch with what's going on in the west tbf.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad