Sportsnet: Lucic waives NMC for expansion draft

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Honestly I was never worried. Why wouldn't he?

Team likes him and no one is picking him

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
That's probably an easy call for him. I'm sure he wouldn't mind playing closer to home in Seattle.

At the same time, I wonder if him waiving comes with the condition that Calgary won't incentivize Seattle to take him.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Phaneuf refused to waive his last expansion draft and the Sens lost Methot due to it.

It was Dion's right since it was part of his contract so can't be too mad about it even though losing Meth sucked.

Good on Lucic. He didn't have to do this.

Sure but Phaneuf is a prick haha. He probably did it just to piss them off.

Brad could just tell him they aren't going to trade him, no reason to not believe it

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Lucic's contract, alone, is a no move commitment. He didn't need an NMC in the first place. But good on him for waiving.

He's been pretty good for Calgary the last two years.

I think if Seattle retains they could easily get something for him given what he is actually owed.

That being said, there is too much else that makes sense for Seattle to grab from Calgary.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
That's probably an easy call for him. I'm sure he wouldn't mind playing closer to home in Seattle.

At the same time, I wonder if him waiving comes with the condition that Calgary won't incentivize Seattle to take him.

Why? I would guess that he would be more than happy to move closer to home. And is not like Calgary will be competitive soon, especially if they have to keep his anchor of contract.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
He's been pretty good for Calgary the last two years.

I think if Seattle retains they could easily get something for him given what he is actually owed.

That being said, there is too much else that makes sense for Seattle to grab from Calgary.
We obviously see different players. I think the Flames should have just spared themselves the original trade and reallocated that salary towards the new arena.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I'm sure all the Oilers fans who insisted that Lucic wouldn't waive will come in here to admit they were wrong.
Considering how frequently we were told by all fan bases how his contract could never be moved and we'd be stuck with him because he'd never waive, I wouldn't hold your breath.

It's cute how the narrative around him changed the instant he became a flame though. So very cute. But more to the point, anyone speaking in absolutes is generally an idiot anyways so who needs their validation.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Considering how frequently we were told by all fan bases how his contract could never be moved and we'd be stuck with him because he'd never waive, I wouldn't hold your breath.

It's cute how the narrative around him changed the instant he became a flame though. So very cute. But more to the point, anyone speaking in absolutes is generally an idiot anyways so who needs their validation.

You do realise though that him waiving his contract is not the same as being able to move him, don't you?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I'll admit that I am wrong, but to be honest I didn't expected the Lames to be this bad.... I can understand why he want to escape the sinking ship.

This is what we call "deflection".

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Phaneuf refused to waive his last expansion draft and the Sens lost Methot due to it.

It was Dion's right since it was part of his contract so can't be too mad about it even though losing Meth sucked.

Good on Lucic. He didn't have to do this.
A lot of players, looking bad, could have waived, but didn't, and would not have been selected.

this time around, with a flat cap for another season or 2, teams are going to be placing some high cap hit players on the exposure list. And with some guys with existing NMC, they may now waive as it's been another 4 years since the Vegas ED and they are closer to the end of their careers, like a Parise.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

How’s Neal doing

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

You sound upset.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Now watch the Flames work out a trade that sends him to Seattle anyway.

I wonder though if the Flames might not be better if they go in rebuild mode. In which case trading an asset to get rid of Lucic contract makes no sense.

As an Oiler fan though I would love if they do some retolling and they do not go into a rebuild:)

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
This is what we call "deflection".
I have nothing to deflect because I never said he wouldn't waive.

What I do take umbrage with is how quickly people seem to forget that what you said is exactly what Oilers fans said when he was in Edmonton. We heard all the same tired shit from every fan base out there. Lucic would never waive his NMC, nobody would ever want him, he was the worst player in the league, and the team would be stuck with him for the duration of the contract.

Then wouldn't you know it, the day he becomes a Flame suddenly he's not the worst, he'd be willing to waive for ED, and his contract wasn't the worst in the league because Edmonton retained a bit.

I'll say it again though, because the first time obviously wasn't enough. Anyone who speaks in absolutes like "He'll never waive" is an idiot anyways.

Reactions: PBandJ

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
How’s Neal doing
For the same reason you're happy with Lucic I'm happy with Neal.

Why does it have to be a pissing contest between two overpaid players? I'm simply pointing out the ridiculous hypocrisy people displayed with regards to Lucic.

Reactions: Ragdoll

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad