Sportsnet: Lucic waives NMC for expansion draft

Ledge And Dairy

I'd have assumed Gio - either as a 1 year shot of leadership who maybe goes at the deadline for a good price, or as an instant flip - would be an attractive asset. Which might be me being out of touch with what's going on in the west tbf.
Hes expensive and has taken another regression. They could take him and try to flip @50% but not keep. If Skjei and Graves are available (I think tbey will be) thats who you want as your top 4 LD

Reactions: G Backup and Peat

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
The narrative was ALWAYS the bolded minus the much better player part. Neal had a really good start to last year which was more of a bonus than it was an actual expectation of how he would perform in Edmonton.

At the end of the day, both teams moved on from contracts and players they didn’t want. No need for a pissing contest.
BS, the trade thread was full of oiler fans crowing about the massive win.

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Everyone thought the trade was a massive win for the Oilers. Not just Oilers fan, the buyout difference alone was a huge win for the Oilers let alone the 19 goals or whatever Neal scored last year.

I’m saying the narrative for why it was a win for the Oilers has never changed, it was and always be about the buyout factor. Not sure what Oilers fan bragging have to do with that. Flames fans are happy with Lucic and what he’s brought so who cares. It was a win-win.

Reactions: PBandJ

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Flyers should pick Lucic up. Need to start DOGGING these guys and bring back broadstreet hockey. At least that was entertaining instead of...whatever the **** current Flyers do. Need MORE Morin, Simmonds, etc.

MAKE IT HAPPEN

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga

It's also really funny to now see some Oilers fans going "it's a win-win, lets not go into a pissing match". Funny how those comments started to show up just recently, before that a pissing match seemed to be ok for them

Reactions: Larry Hanson

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It's also really funny to now see some Oilers fans going "it's a win-win, lets not go into a pissing match". Funny how those comments started to show up just recently, before that a pissing match seemed to be ok for them

We were happy to get rid of the biggest bum our team had in decades. Trading him for a bag of sweat socks with a $5M contract would have been good for us then. I know that Flames fans feel similarly about Neal. As the trade gets further in the past, its easier to look past the initial thoughts of "Oh my god, I can't believe we found a sucker to take that bum". And in all fairness to that point, we were told for over a year that we would never find a sucker to take that bum. It was only a few weeks prior when the discussions were rumoured between the two teams that Flames laughed at it and told us we would have to do a lot better than just take James Neal and a small top up to dump Lucic. It's worked out because Lucic rebounded in Calgary. At the time of the trade, it did look pretty lopsided, but as is typically the case, how the trade looks on the day it is made isn't how it looks a year or two down the road.

Reactions: Ragdoll

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
We were happy to get rid of the biggest bum our team had in decades. Trading him for a bag of sweat socks with a $5M contract would have been good for us then. I know that Flames fans feel similarly about Neal. As the trade gets further in the past, its easier to look past the initial thoughts of "Oh my god, I can't believe we found a sucker to take that bum". And in all fairness to that point, we were told for over a year that we would never find a sucker to take that bum. It was only a few weeks prior when the discussions were rumoured between the two teams that Flames laughed at it and told us we would have to do a lot better than just take James Neal and a small top up to dump Lucic. It's worked out because Lucic rebounded in Calgary. At the time of the trade, it did look pretty lopsided, but as is typically the case, how the trade looks on the day it is made isn't how it looks a year or two down the road.

What I'm saying Oilers fan seemed to have no problems to participate into a pissing match before, but suddenly it's a different thing

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
What I'm saying Oilers fan seemed to have no problems to participate into a pissing match before, but suddenly it's a different thing

Both teams were participating then, just as many are trying to now. But yes, when one teams fans feel like they ripped off their rivals in a trade, there is bound to be some celebrating and razzing over it. Like I said, it was a few years ago now, circumstances have changed a bit, and its close to an even trade, so why bother anymore? Both teams are better off having made the trade they made, assuming neither player would have bounced back had they stayed with their original team. It's time to move past the pissing match I think. Flames fans are happy. Oilers fans are happy. I know our fanbases hate to see each other happy, but its time to move on.

Reactions: Ragdoll

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Both teams were participating then, just as many are trying to now. But yes, when one teams fans feel like they ripped off their rivals in a trade, there is bound to be some celebrating and razzing over it. Like I said, it was a few years ago now, circumstances have changed a bit, and its close to an even trade, so why bother anymore? Both teams are better off having made the trade they made, assuming neither player would have bounced back had they stayed with their original team. It's time to move past the pissing match I think. Flames fans are happy. Oilers fans are happy. I know our fanbases hate to see each other happy, but its time to move on.

So you are saying when Oilers fans thought they won the trade pissing match was ok, but now that we can see what really happened, the pissing match is not so fun anymore?

And it's two years, not few

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
So you are saying when Oilers fans thought they won the trade pissing match was ok, but now that we can see what really happened, the pissing match is not so fun anymore?

And it's two years, not few
Two doesn't count as a few?

I mean, if you want to pull it out and have a measuring contest only to realize that both sides have the same size, knock yourself out. It's clear that both teams made out well with that trade so there really isn't anything to keep going on about.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Considering how frequently we were told by all fan bases how his contract could never be moved and we'd be stuck with him because he'd never waive, I wouldn't hold your breath.

It's cute how the narrative around him changed the instant he became a flame though. So very cute. But more to the point, anyone speaking in absolutes is generally an idiot anyways so who needs their validation.

Lucic is an all star now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad