Confirmed with Link: Luca Sbisa. 1 year $800,000.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Trevor Van Rymsdyk signed for the exact same amount as Sbisa and ~400k less than Beaulieu. f*** off Chevy.

Should have no expectations. They could not be bothered to sign Lee Stempniak at basically league minimum who went onto have a career year. Year after year they are just awful during free agency. And don't give me the crap about "these players didn't want to sign with winnipeg", that may be true for high end UFAs but guys making basically league minimum are in no position to be picky about where they go.

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Trevor van Riemsdyk just signed for the same salary as we gave to Sbisa. GM of the year, Chevy is not.

What makes you think a guy from New Jersey would want to sign in Winnipeg?

If you are expecting the Jets to win the free agents sweepstakes, you have to expect Chevy to overpay guys, like Kulikov.

I'm actually surprised Sbisa wanted to sign in Winnipeg. If it wasn't for Maurice we might not have any cred with NHL players. Imagine if Claude Noel was still coaching us. It's a damn good thing Chevy drafts well, or we wouldn't have a team at all. But this is the year where we have only one remaining Atlanta Thrasher left, and in our 10th year, most of our roster is comprised of Winnipeg Jets draft picks. 4 players through trade. So far 4 through free agency/waivers.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
What makes you think a guy from New Jersey would want to sign in Winnipeg?

If you are expecting the Jets to win the free agents sweepstakes, you have to expect Chevy to overpay guys, like Kulikov.

I'm actually surprised Sbisa wanted to sign in Winnipeg. If it wasn't for Maurice we might not have any cred with NHL players. Imagine if Claude Noel was still coaching us. It's a damn good thing Chevy drafts well, or we wouldn't have a team at all. But this is the year where we have only one remaining Atlanta Thrasher left, and in our 10th year, most of our roster is comprised of Winnipeg Jets draft picks. 4 players through trade. So far 4 through free agency/waivers.

Didn't we get our biggest UFA signing ever, Perreault, during Noel's tenure?

If you're taking $800k, you probably don't have tons of offers at all. Making the first offer may have been enough to get him instead of Sbisa, we don't know what the circumstances were.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Didn't we get our biggest UFA signing ever, Perreault, during Noel's tenure?

If you're taking $800k, you probably don't have tons of offers at all. Making the first offer may have been enough to get him instead of Sbisa, we don't know what the circumstances were.

Only because Anaheim didn't qualify him, and we were first to the chase to upgrade in talent. Especially with Burmistrov bailing on us. And Setoguchi busting or blowing.

I'm sure TVR would get more than one offer. And again why would someone from New Jersey want to move to Winnipeg? He's probably got no familiarity with the place whatsoever. Who knows if he'd liked the visit. 31 teams competing for free agents and Winnipeg is 31st in places to go. I'm a fan of whoever signs here, because that's respect they've shown for us as the underdog market. Maybe not last year though. I wasn't fond of Bitetto, Bourque, Letestu as the immediate help. Sbisa at least has experience, playing with Maurice in the World Cup, and with our team now. He showed himself to be a very good leader last year. Was willing to play hurt, badly hurt. He's the kind of toughness you need to have a solid PK. I'd say he is one of the best shot blockers in the league.

Reactions: BlakeScheifehlaine

Polar Vortex

Jul 4, 2012
This is a good signing for the sole reason that it gives me entertainment watching everyone flip out :laugh:
Chevy watching HF Jets after this signing:

tenor.gif

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Luca Sbisa career xGAR/82: -3.7

Thanks Garret, doesn't look too good for Sbisa.

Are there any free GAR/WAR sources available anymore (non-x versions)? Also cheap(ish) non-free options would be nice.

Corsica model seems to be down and I can't find anything more recent than 17-18. Also while Corsica Player Rating is fun and probably valuable, it seems to be totally black box.

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
Why are Winnipeg "fans" sounding more and more like Leafs "fans". Complaining about every depth signing. If last season proved anything, it's that this team cannot have enough defensive depth with NHL experience at their disposal. They need guys like Sbisa too. Perhaps the way to look at it is that the team is only paying 300K for his experience (assuming the min salary is still 700K. Can't remember for sure). It doesn't sound so bad looking at it that way. BTW - I'm no fan of Sbisa's game, but I'd rather have him in there in a pinch than Stanley (at the moment)

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Thanks Garret, doesn't look too good for Sbisa.

Are there any free GAR/WAR sources available anymore (non-x versions)? Also cheap(ish) non-free options would be nice.

Corsica model seems to be down and I can't find anything more recent than 17-18. Also while Corsica Player Rating is fun and probably valuable, it seems to be totally black box.

Daily faceoff has one that's free although it's more fantasy value based than true value based.
I think natural stat trick has gamescore available, which doesn't account for usage but does get at on ice results fairly well.

Unfortunately I think both Hockeyviz and Evolving Hockey which have the best versions are under pay wall.

Reactions: Halberdier

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad