Confirmed with Link: Luca Sbisa. 1 year $800,000.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Cool. The price is right for a short term depth piece.

Those complaining about this probably never bother with health insurance, life insurance, travel insurance ...

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
My guess is if Vegas signs Pietrangelo, we'll be trading for Martinez, and Sbisa will be going back in said trade. Think something similar to the Statsny trade.

If that doesn't happen... :help:

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
The yearly overreaction to a press box fill in defenceman is upon us :laugh:

And the yearly posting saying "______ is only being signed for the press box (fill in the blank with any of Peluso, Bitetto, Sbisa, Thorburn, Hendricks, Borque, Letestu)" when they end up playing 40+ games. There is a good chance that one or both of Sbisa/Beaulieu is gonna end up playing 40+ games.

Reactions: Bigfish and AKAChip

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I would honestly rather have one of Heinola/Samberg/Niku as the #7..... who ever doesn't crack the top 6. You can even rotate who it is every once in a while to get them playing time between the Moose and Jets. But who says there is even an AHL season. If it is a short NHL season or no AHL, Sbisa just took a spot that could have been filled by a young guy to learn/develop/ practice with the big boys. If he is only there for emergency and never plays as a young guy from the Moose jumps over him then i guess it's fine

Exactly this. But...

Experience teaches that there is little chance that PoMo doesn't play the grizzled vet, however terrible, over the prospect with some warts. Samberg/Heinola/Niku/whoever will make a mistake, and Sbisa will be drafted in, play generally badly but perhaps less obviously so, and there will then be a post-game presser where his "experience," PK abilities and "stabilizing presence" on the ice and in the room will be lauded, and there he'll be, until he's injured, displacing someone with more upside and more to learn into the PB or onto the Moose.

We already signed Beaulieu. How many 7/8 D do we need in a development year?

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
Maurice wouldn't let Stecher kill penalties, so it doesn't really matter.
Interesting as some Vancouver media saying Stetcher is not appreciated by Green, has to prove him self every year. He starts on the 3rd pair, but by the end of the season he is playing #1 minutes beside Elder. Maybe someone worth a short term deal?
A better signing than Sbisa maybe? But no grit!

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
i'm only confused by this signing because i'd assume Sbisa's our #7 or 8 D. it means Niku may not get a qualifying offer? which means that we have exactly 1 offensively gifted d-man?

the positive? Sbisa had zero desire to play in Winnipeg. clearly, once he got here, he liked it enough to re-sign. either that or there were zero other options for him. but signing on day 1, to me, means that he liked wpg

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Why does Chevy sign garbage players on day 1 of free agency? He does it every year. He ties up salary with the easiest players to replace. It's incompetence. There is no reason for it.

Hard to call Sbisa a garbage player. I think with Beaulieu, Poolman and Sbisa Maurice has 3 guys he can rotate into the bottom of the lineup, and on the PK. Samberg might be another, though with Maurice you have to earn his trust before he's going to put you in a spot where the team is relying on you. PK is the hardest job in the NHL, you get to break a lot of bones, with the way everybody can shoot now, with these new sticks. It's not certain we can rely on guys like Stanley to step up this year, so there's some depth becuase injuries are a guarantee. I'm happy we went the best options, and let go of Dahlstrom and Bitetto this offseason. I'm not sure there are necessarily better options out there. And a huge turnover again on our defense probably puts us in a spot where everybody is learning each other's game again, like was the case in the PK tire fire to start the season. It wasn't until Sbisa joined the team and Beaulieu came back that we had any stability on defense. De Melo's addition for sure pushes one of them into a depth position. Adding another defenseman might push Niku off the roster, or in competition with Samberg to make it.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
i'm only confused by this signing because i'd assume Sbisa's our #7 or 8 D. it means Niku may not get a qualifying offer? which means that we have exactly 1 offensively gifted d-man?

the positive? Sbisa had zero desire to play in Winnipeg. clearly, once he got here, he liked it enough to re-sign. either that or there were zero other options for him. but signing on day 1, to me, means that he liked wpg

Niku was qualified already. Could see an impasse on one-way vs two-way deal.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Can’t be bothered to feign indignance over signings like this. As long as he doesn’t block any young talent, he’s just PB fodder and injury depth.

Reactions: surixon

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Sbisa has historically been one of the worst defensemen in the league, but he was actually pretty decent last year. I don’t mind this as a 7-8 kinda guy. Plus everyone complains we don’t have any sandpaper, but then they started whining when we brought back Beaulieu and Sbisa, who are actually physical.

Reactions: BlakeScheifehlaine

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
If Heinola, Samberg and Niku aren't good enough to beat out Luca Sbisa, then they probably shouldn't be in the lineup.

:)
Two of them should beat out Sbisa, but Maurice is the road block here.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
Press box / 7th D man

I don't have a problem with it at all, IMO he wasn't bad last year.

Krauser

Oct 3, 2017
Troy Stecher: actually pretty good defenceman signs for 2 years, 1.7 per.

Sbisa and Beaulieu: two bad defencemen sign for 2+ combined.

This isn’t difficult.

Sbisa’s bad but Beaulieu is OK on the 3rd pair.

Stecher’s no better than Beaulieu by one metric:

upload_2020-10-10_15-17-59.png

Dom Luszczyszyn: No deal: Analyzing 9 intriguing players who weren't tendered qualifying offers
After the 2018-19 season, it really looked like Stecher was starting to figure things out. He became a much better puck-mover in his previous two seasons and it started to show up in his 5-on-5 results. He was among the team leaders in expected goals and had the highest goal share among defenders in Vancouver. It looked like a top-four role was in his future. But in 2019-20 he failed to build on that. The strong goals share was still there, but a lot of it looked like smoke and mirrors given his poor scoring chance share. His puck-moving ability took a dive, too. There may still be a decent defender here, one who can defend well and stay out of the box, but at this juncture, Stecher looks to be closer to a run-of-the-mill third-pairing option. There’s nothing wrong with that though, and for teams looking to plug a hole he could be a reasonably cheap option with OK upside.

You can see by that graphic that $3.4M/2 is an overpay of about $800K.

Reactions: hn777

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
This is a fine deal. Short term, base salary. I thought he played decently as a 7 th defenseman last year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad