Injury Report: LTIR for Smith

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Skinner had miserable numbers in the ECHL and AHL.

There’s got to be another way !

Oh he was bad... but all our Condors goalies were garbage. I have no faith in any of them but Skinner is the best of the steaming pile of poop. Starrett fell off a cliff after his injury (concussion?)

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Hands up how many people were angry at the time when we declared our 23 man roster and didn't see Forsberg's name on it?

Bingo. Nobody really saw Forsberg getting claimed.

I still don't understand why Carolina claimed him only to waive him right away.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He filled it pretty early on by signing Forsberg, and now in hindsight he screwed up by not having him on the 23 man roster. Curious how many other teams had 3 goalies on their initial 23 man roster, going to guess not many. If we had done that and lost Lagesson, would have had a lot of people mad as well. Hands up how many people were angry at the time when we declared our 23 man roster and didn't see Forsberg's name on it?

There is definitely some hindsight. But that's why Holland is being paid what... $5M per year. He needs to be able to foresee these situations.

Bingo. Nobody really saw Forsberg getting claimed.

I still don't understand why Carolina claimed him only to waive him right away.

Because they had the foresight that Holland didn't. They wanted to ensure that they had a backup plan if the guy they wanted to sneak through ended up claimed. Once he made it through they no longer needed that backup plan. The Oilers backup plan is Stuart Skinner and Olivier Rodrigue.

Reactions: Aerchon

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
They really need some kind of expedited system for goalies and quarantine.

Even if they got someone and got them to Edmonton tomorrow, they probably wouldn't even be ready until early February.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
They wanted to ensure that they had a backup plan if the guy they wanted to sneak through ended up claimed. Once he made it through they no longer needed that backup plan.

10 teams waived goalies. Not sure if that means 9 of those GMs were bad for not having a backup plan and claiming a goalie they might not need.

Reactions: Porkleaker and TB12

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
It's amazing how fast people will go from happy to telling us how badly Ken Holland has botched everything when something completely random and unforseen happens. Just like with AA and covid shutting down the season.

"Should have for seen a global pandemic coming and flattening the cap!"

"Should have forseen Mike Smith getting injured a day after the season starts and Carolina claiming his insurance goalie that they let walk away but a few months ago!"

Good lord:laugh:

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
It's amazing how fast people will go from happy to telling us how badly Ken Holland has botched everything when something completely random and unforseen happens. Just like with AA and covid shutting down the season.

"Should have for seen a global pandemic coming and flattening the cap!"

"Should have forseen Mike Smith getting injured a day after the season starts and Carolina claiming his insurance goalie that they let walk away but a few months ago!"

Good lord:laugh:

Neither of those are examples in Holland's favor. AA wasn't an unknown quantity to him and he should've known better than to give up two 2nds. That's on him.

Re: Forsberg, he had a very simple path to not having this happen (waive Chiasson or another poison pill skater) and didn't do it. He also clearly hasn't gotten a handle on the loose lips around this org, because Jason Gregor of all people actually got valid intel that Smith was out long-term. That shouldn't happen and now he somehow has less leverage than before.

You can be happy with the signings he made but also be unhappy with how he's handled the goaltending. I don't see how those are mutually exclusive.

Reactions: harpoon

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Predictable.. 38 year old goalie who relies on athleticism does not scream reliability. He should just stay on IR. IMO the 3rd goalie is a huge problem and shouldn't be put off. If Koskinen gets injured/covid we are f***ed. You then have to make a panic addition where that player has to quarantine anyways. This is a big deal honestly.

Reactions: rboomercat90

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Neither of those are examples in Holland's favor. AA wasn't an unknown quantity to him and he should've known better than to give up two 2nds. That's on him.

Re: Forsberg, he had a very simple path to not having this happen (waive Chiasson or another poison pill skater) and didn't do it. He also clearly hasn't gotten a handle on the loose lips around this org, because Jason Gregor of all people actually got valid intel that Smith was out long-term. That shouldn't happen and now he somehow has less leverage than before.

You can be happy with the signings he made but also be unhappy with how he's handled the goaltending. I don't see how those are mutually exclusive.
That wasn't the point I was making about AA. Criticism was that it was a waste of picks on top of not resigning him, when in reality the plan was very likely to resign him but then covid hit and f***ed up the cap. Not something anyone could have seen coming and planned for.

Nobody had anything bad to say about our goalie situation other than they didn't like Mike Smith. Up until yesterday morning nobody was complaining that he didn't go out and sign other goalies because nobody had a damn clue that Carolina was suddenly going to reclaim a goalie they moved on from months ago when they could have signed him.

Much like a ton of players who were forced to go through waivers this past week,I'm sure most GM's had to do things they hadn't planned on.

Once again people are just using hindsight as some sort of I told you so about poor management again and I don't buy it. Have some faith that the man can navigate this without freaking out that our season is suddenly hanging by a thread and it's all because we have a GM who doesn't know how to run a team. Everyone seems to expect this team to be super mentally tough and resilient and it's funny because half the fan base turn into snivelling whiners at the mere thought of adversity.

Agree to disagree.

Edit: Was a little more aggressive than I intended but I'm just amazed at how quick the script flips in 12 hours. Yesterday it was peaches and cream all of a sudden the whole season could be a wash.

Last edited:

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
The quarantine rules make a trade really hard.

Koski would have to probably play 10 more games straight before Kuemper would be available unless they give Skinner some games.

No back to backs for the next eight or so, limited travel, so doable for the next while.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
That wasn't the point I was making about AA. Criticism was that it was a waste of picks on top of not resigning him, when in reality the plan was very likely to resign him but then covid hit and f***ed up the cap. Not something anyone could have seen coming and planned for.

Like I said, if he never trades for him, he never wastes the picks. Holland should've known what he was (and how big a pain in the ass he would be to sign).

Nobody had anything bad to say about our goalie situation other than they didn't like Mike Smith. Up until yesterday morning nobody was complaining that he didn't go out and sign other goalies because nobody had a damn clue that Carolina was suddenly going to reclaim a goalie they moved on from months ago when they could have signed him.

Again, you're (willfully?) ignoring it wasn't the claim itself but the lack of execution that Holland is getting and deserves flak for. He had a way to keep Forsberg as the third goalie. Other teams have held onto a third for this very reason. He didn't do it though and that's on him.

Once again people are just using hindsight as some sort of I told you so about poor management again and I don't buy it.

Agree to disagree.

If I tell you not to put your hand on the stove and you do it, leading to a second degree burn, is that "hindsight" in your opinion or just common sense?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Is everybody drunk? How is Smith getting hurt Holland's fault? Sheesh.

It can be argued that Forsberg shouldn't have been waived in the first place but I don't see how Smith getting hurt creates responses like "Nice signing Holland", "Boy, he really botched this".

Anyway, so many of you hated the Smith signing from the beginning calling him the worst goalie in the league so this is good, right?
In any event, he needs to find a goalie now. Waiving Forsberg was obviously a mistake.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

You mean the team gave info to the media and the media released that info. How Scandalous!!!

seriously you’re constantly trying to make mountains out of molehills.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
There is definitely some hindsight. But that's why Holland is being paid what... $5M per year. He needs to be able to foresee these situations.

Because they had the foresight that Holland didn't. They wanted to ensure that they had a backup plan if the guy they wanted to sneak through ended up claimed. Once he made it through they no longer needed that backup plan. The Oilers backup plan is Stuart Skinner and Olivier Rodrigue.

Holland’s problem was not having a decent third string goalie who didn’t require waivers, like many other teams have, which is primarily a failure of previous management regimes.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $685.00