LTIR CBA Rules changes?

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
If the end result leads to massive southern us teams success then bettman wont lift a finger. It will end when toronto does it it.

Reactions: HolyCrap

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
So no then?

I really hope you aren't trying to suggest it's unfair simply because some other team is doing it and the Leafs aren't.

Because that's the vibe I'm taking here. I'm sorry but it doesn't work that way. The rules are the rules and the Leafs were leaders in gaming the LTIR rules.

Just because somebody else is doing it differently now than they did doesn't make it unfair.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I really hope you aren't trying to suggest it's unfair simply because some other team is doing it and the Leafs aren't.

Because that's the vibe I'm taking here. I'm sorry but it doesn't work that way. The rules are the rules and the Leafs were leaders in gaming the LTIR rules.

Just because somebody else is doing it differently now than they did doesn't make it unfair.
I'm suggesting that any team that puts players on LTIR to gain regular season cap relief and then activates these players as soon as the playoffs begin are not using the rule as it was intended.

My question was have the Leafs ever used LTIR in that way, and it seems the answer is no.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Get rid of the Cap or implement a Game Cap for all NHL games.

So a team could have $1 billion payroll but can only dress Cap amount of players for every fricken game.

How about, for every $5mm over the cap you start a game with the other team gets 1 goal awarded to them.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
They might as well just move to a no cap system after the trade deadline.

One, LTIR nonsense is functionally the same thing as a luxury tax.

Two, You’re not introducing more salary to the system. Just moving players to different buckets anyway.

Three, the financially challenged, tanking teams can just lighten their salary burden and get to where they want to go anyway.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
They might as well just move to a no cap system after the trade deadline.

One, LTIR nonsense is functionally the same thing as a luxury tax.

Two, You’re not introducing more salary to the system. Just moving players to different buckets anyway.

Three, the financially challenged, tanking teams can just lighten their salary burden and get to where they want to go anyway.

Lift the Cap 1 week prior to trade deadline. Let teams trade their big contracts during Trade Deadline Week.

If you wait until after the deadline those players can't play in the playoffs.

That way teams can try and be as competitive until the end of February before they throw in the towel.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I'm suggesting that any team that puts players on LTIR to gain regular season cap relief and then activates these players as soon as the playoffs begin are not using the rule as it was intended.

My question was have the Leafs ever used LTIR in that way, and it seems the answer is no.

So you are suggesting these other teams are using the LTIR rules to gain an unfair advantage.

The rules are open to interpretation. The league has determined there is nothing in the way these teams are using LTIR is against the either the spirit or the integrity of the rule. You can disagree all you want but I'm sure there are all kinds of high priced lawyers and accountants that have accepted this as legal and fair practice.

Same as when the Leafs bent the rules to suit their needs and everyone else was crying about it then.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
So you are suggesting these other teams are using the LTIR rules to gain an unfair advantage.

The rules are open to interpretation. The league has determined there is nothing in the way these teams are using LTIR is against the either the spirit or the integrity of the rule. You can disagree all you want but I'm sure there are all kinds of high priced lawyers and accountants that have accepted this as legal and fair practice.

Same as when the Leafs bent the rules to suit their needs and everyone else was crying about it then.
:laugh: This is a part of an agreement, not a law.

Reactions: SprDaVE and egd27

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I don't know why the Leafs didn't put Tavares on LTIR.

He could easily have had a fictitious operation that has a 5 week recovery time.

Just put a nick in his lower left side of the belly and call it something.

I think they are covering up a major injury here ... NHLPA should investigate.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
:laugh: This is a part of an agreement, not a law.

Without being a part of the process I can still 99.99% assure you there are lawyers involved in the formulating, and interpretation, of legally binding documents involving millions upon millions of dollars in players contract salaries.

I don't know why the Leafs didn't put Tavares on LTIR.

He could easily have had a fictitious operation that has a 5 week recovery time.

Just put a nick in his lower left side of the belly and call it something.

I think they are covering up a major injury here ... NHLPA should investigate.

Because they still thought he was good.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Come on everyone knows this rule is garbage and players showing up on game 1 of the playoffs is all you need to know that the player was healthy before the end of the regular season.

Two easy solutions:

1. Easy solution, no player who has been on LTIR prior to the trade deadline should be eligible for the first round. This leaves open the cheating window.

2. Salary Cap in the playoffs. This doesn't hurt or advantage any team, as it is just the continuation of existing rules.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

I appreciate your permission for me to disagree.

Though it is clearly not against the rules as they are currently written, IMO this use violates the "spirit of rule" and should be changed.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
TBL took advantage of this loophole by having Kucherov practice with his team about 6 weeks before the start of the playoffs. He had obviously some rehabbing to do with his shoulder injury but he was clearly ready to play well before Game 1 of the playoffs, and he played Game 1 of those playoffs.

Ain't nothing wrong with taking advantage of it. But teams keep pushing the limit and keep making it more obvious. And then making a mockery of it by making t-shirts and mocking that they did it.

I do think making a simple rule about if they aren't playing by Game 82, the player injured can't be eligible for round 1 at the very least only IF the team is using LTIR cap space. If they aren't using LTIR cap space then I don't see the big deal since they aren't over the cap anyway.

Last edited:

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
Rules are fine. Leafs could of did this with Muzzin a few years ago but brought him back for 1-2 games before playoffs. How come we didnt do it then?

Sep 18, 2009
They should hire an independent investigator like George Parrots to determine if a player is truly injured

Reactions: OddyOh

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3