LTIR CBA Rules changes?

vpasla1

Mar 24, 2018
Sounds like an idea.

I think there should be roster cap compliance in the playoffs.
For mid-season acquisitions, only the portion after acquisition would count towards the cap (e.g. Player with 8 million cap hit acquired 3/4 of the way through the season would count as 2 million).

I'm sure there would be fine tuning, but it's a good start.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Big, mid season moves are entertaining, making it harder for for teams do them doesn't help anything.
I think LTIR is great, when you have a situation like a Muzzin, who isn't going to play again. But when it allows teams to add players to to their roster, when they know the injured player is coming back, that just isn't right.

I think your roster should be cap compliant at all times..

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I don't know how the NHLPA would feel about it, but presumably requiring teams to be cap compliant during the playoffs would be the cleanest solution.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
NHLPA would tear up this idea as it'd "rush" injured players back
I wonder if they could add on something like or your post season roster can be cap compliant instead.

Realistically they could throw away the just game 82 piece and make it a small number of post TDL games. Basically you want to prevent teams from "hiding" players on LTIR

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
No easy answer to this one. It’s getting out of hand, and a cap compliant playoff roster is a sledgehammer putting a square peg through a circle, but it’s probably the answer.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
My solution would be another "tier" in the IR stream

-IR -> No cap relief, you get the roster spot
-LTIR -> Cap relief equal to the max buriable amount, you get enough room to recall a replacement player
-Season ending IR-> full relief, player is not eligible to return
Reasonable ideas too.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
I don't understand why the rosters are currently not cap compliant during the playoffs... Why have it the full year and exclude 3 months of hockey?

Tbh, kind of unrelated, but I would favour a soft salary cap as opposed to a hard salary cap. Also, make it so teams can only have a max amount of dead cap salaries/LTIR trades that can count towards the salary cap... Looking at your Arizona.

Last edited:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
To be honest, I like seeing great teams load up. It’s gonna really neuter that. That’s why people love the NBA. Most people love that much more than parity non-sense and random teams making it to the final.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
To be honest, I like seeing great teams load up. It’s gonna really neuter that. That’s why people love the NBA. Most people love that much more than parity non-sense and random teams making it to the final.

I liked seeing the all-star Colorado, Detroit, and New Jersey teams bully the rest of the league every year too.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I liked seeing the all-star Colorado, Detroit, and New Jersey teams bully the rest of the league every year too.

New Jersey bullied us. But I don’t mind seeing a team take on one of these great teams and try to beat them. if we beat those NJ teams at least once, that would have been amazing. That means you really earned your way to the next round.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Cap needs to be compliant throughout the entire season and playoffs, makes no sense.

I’ll settle for softening the cap.

Every 4 years a team should be allowed to null and void 1 NTC.
I've long been a proponent of 1 yearly buyout. You don't perform you get bought out. Player gets his money and team doesn't get cap penalized.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
New Jersey bullied us. But I don’t mind seeing a team take on one of these great teams and try to beat them. if we beat those NJ teams at least once, that would have been amazing. That means you really earned your way to the next round.

Seems like they lost to the Devil's every year no matter how much they spent on the roster.

All this talk about LTIR and cap circumvention. The Leafs not only spearheaded the use of LTIR but also were the first team to utilize using more than one contract at a time. The term "Robidas Island" was invented for a reason.

But I guess it's only unfair if other teams are doing it.

Reactions: Bigleaffan48

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Cap needs to be compliant throughout the entire season and playoffs, makes no sense.

I've long been a proponent of 1 yearly buyout. You don't perform you get bought out. Player gets his money and team doesn't get cap penalized.
That’s too big of an advantage

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Seems like they lost to the Devil's every year no matter how much they spent on the roster.

All this talk about LTIR and cap circumvention. The Leafs not only spearheaded the use of LTIR but also were the first team to utilize using more than one contract at a time. The term "Robidas Island" was invented for a reason.

But I guess it's only unfair if other teams are doing it.
Did any of the "Robidas Island" players ever return to play in the playoffs?

I don't understand why the rosters are currently not cap compliant during the playoffs... Why have it the full year and exclude 3 months of hockey?
Completely agree. If they're a cap league, then be a cap league from opening night until the final whistle and the Cup is awarded.

Last edited:
Reactions: OddyOh

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Yeah I'd rather them just remove the cap in general. Let teams spend money and create some entertainment, isn't that the point of the whole business? Stop limiting the fun of the game with restrictions, it's so disappointing that teams want to make fun creative trades but are stifled by anti-fun rules for the sake of made up parity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad