Lou Lamoriello - Contract year

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I'm sorry but this is terrible post. Not even sure if this was serious or you are just some sarcastic internet troll like pixelated boat.

If this was serious then I 100% disagree.

He poses as a Leaf fan and posts some real stupid shit.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
It's an interesting question, to re-sign Lou or not. I think a lot will depend on what he accomplishes at this year's trade deadline. Management has consistently said that the Leafs have a plan moving forward. What that plan is, how it changes day to day (Lou's words) and how they wish to adapt to the realities of how the team is performing at the TDL is the question. Unfortunately for the fans, we don't know what that 'plan' looks like and thus much of our daily handwringing is speculation. My speculation: That Shanny is closely monitoring the play of the team, in daily discussion with Lou and Babs and weighing the chances of this team being a 'presence' in the playoffs or simply a 'pretender'. Should the management team conclude that the team is not yet ready to contend I suspect they will be cold-hearted and sell off some our UFAs for youth and/or prospects/picks. Should the management team conclude this group has a chance to compete in the playoffs the question asked would be how to improve the team at the TDL without compromising the overall plan. Regardless of choice, the implementation of the decision will be Lou's responsibility. It is here that he has to make good if he wishes to gain another contract as GM of the Leafs. If the decision is to sell, I think Lou has to at least manage a return that includes a quality Dman (not necessarily a 1st pairing) who is young(ish) and signed at reasonable cost + a high end prospect or high end pick in the draft while managing to improve our team's contract situation v cap. If we are buying, Lou has to identify the most attractive pieces we have that can be moved with the least impact to the team's plan while gaining the piece or pieces that improve our team for the playoffs. The Leafs are not yet a contender, IMO. I would be selling and solidifying the move forward for next year. However it shakes out, Lou's task is not easy.

Reactions: 54thecup

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Lou has done a great job so far, Leafs/Marlies playing great, good prospect pool, nice UFA signings, good trades for the team, Professionally run, etc.

Reactions: 54thecup

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I think Hunter should be given more control. Selections like Bracco and Marner are looking really good, and should continue to happen. He is doing great work unlike Dave Poulin who loved making dumb long term signings. No wonder no NHL team wants Poulin right now.
geez we ve come along way from BLOWHARD BURKE and taking the best American coming down the pike

Reactions: Daisy Jane

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
All he has to do is find that #1, blue chip dman. One of Nylander or Marner will have to be dealt to do so. It is becoming increasingly obvious. I think he will get a contract extension, because let's be serious.. Dubas isn't going to be GM LOL.

Lou has done a very good job and now must find that dman.

On a side note I think Mark Hunters seat should be getting a little warm.. selections of Bracco and Marner are selections that just can't happen. You can't cheat in the NHL like he always did in the 'O'
I don’t think neither Nylander or Marner have to be included. A 1st, top prospect Timothy Liljren, a young forward on the team and another high pick would do it. Depending on the team and how many years left on his contract.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I'd like to see him a little more aggressive on the trade front, especially when we had a big opportunity to add something really good this summer. Marleau was good but obviously not a huge need.

On the flip side, I guess we didn't make a bad move either... so at least we're even in that aspect.

Overall I'm very indifferent if he retires or not. I like our support staff to take over.
You never know about the Marleau signing. They could be doing much worse without his leadership.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Big 3 need contract extensions, although Marner may opt to bet on himself next year

The team doesn't have a circus atmosphere like previous years

On the downside, the defense hasn't been fixed and it's been an issue since he came on

He did get us a top goaltender in Andersen and traded Phaneuf without retaining.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Lou has done a great job so far, Leafs/Marlies playing great, good prospect pool, nice UFA signings, good trades for the team, Professionally run, etc.

I want Lou to be the one negotiating the 3 Amigos next contracts particularly Matthews $10-12 mil deal.

No way I want Dubas/Hunter in charge of that.

Reactions: Faltorvo

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I want Lou to be the one negotiating the 3 Amigos next contracts particularly Matthews $10-12 mil deal.

No way I want Dubas/Hunter in charge of that.

I tend to agree, though I think Dubas might become adept in the years to come.

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
I tend to agree, though I think Dubas might become adept in the years to come.
Would almost be unfair to throw Dubas into a situation where he has to get those three signed in his first year. Let Lou handle those deals and takes a huge amount of pressure off Dubas if he is he successor in the future.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He’s goig to have s full interview with the Atheltic tomorrow (for those who read it).

Lou will be Lou and obviously won’t say anything, but will be interesting to “read between the lines” of his answers to see if we can infer anything of interest.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think Hunter should be given more control. Selections like Bracco and Marner are looking really good, and should continue to happen. He is doing great work unlike Dave Poulin who loved making dumb long term signings. No wonder no NHL team wants Poulin right now.

Okay. but what makes you think that Poulin wants to work in the NHL though?
It's one thing that his name keeps coming up and he gets passed over but he has a great thing going on with TSN. it's the same when people go on about how "No one wants Craig Button." yah, but Button has a great job doing what he's doing. Did it ever occur to you that as much as the NHL doens't want them, they don't want the NHL either? Using that as a rebuttal is a weak one.

He is just a Dave Poulin fan who is upset Poulin was an unmitigated disaster. There is a reason nobody wants him.
If anything, Bracco and Marner selections should be a priority as they are terrific draft picks.

reasons (where i forgot to quote your other posts you'd be wrong about) ie: Poulin wasn't the one in charge of contract negotiations. That was Loiselle. Poulin managed and ran Marlies which as far as I remember still was relatively competitive under his control.

My bet is he steps down but stays on as an advisor.

that's the plan from everything i've heard

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He’s goig to have s full interview with the Atheltic tomorrow (for those who read it).

Lou will be Lou and obviously won’t say anything, but will be interesting to “read between the lines” of his answers to see if we can infer anything of interest.

Yeah...his interviews tend to suck lol. Babcock gives you a bit more.

Reactions: Menzinger

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Babs is defintely more inclined to speak his mind - Lou is just so guarded in everything he says

Lou is a master politician/lawyer, seriously. Talks but nothing comes out. Babcock was just like "Yeah we're going to sign some Euro free agents" and we did.

I would like people to ask some tougher questions of both. Not because I want to run them out of town or create a witch hunt but for Lou; man we need a defenseman, please pull a rabbit out of your hat.

With Babcock, yes we're winning but someone has to call him on how he's using some players. Komarov's ES Pt production is among the worst in the league. Good pk guy but not deserving of the minutes he gets. Polak is awfulllllll, like someone needs to put the stats in front of him and ask, is this the best guy to have out there?

Reactions: Menzinger

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I'd rather watch paint dry than read that, 20 minutes of my life wasted for Jack **** out of Lou

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad