Lou Lamoriello - Contract year

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
Wondering what to expect from the Lou contract situation. Respected team builder, had enough time to decipher strengths and weaknesses.

Also on an expiring contract, and much like any player, wants to have a good season for the next contract.

Despite some flaws this team is easily in the discussion for a contender.

I think it's time for Lou to step up and make a mark and pull a last bit of brilliance out of his bag of tricks and finish the puzzle. Not saying use every asset, but we have some, and about a 3 year window to make some noise. Outside of FA signings we have not taken any bold steps.

Lou, time to show your stripes.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
All he has to do is find that #1, blue chip dman. One of Nylander or Marner will have to be dealt to do so. It is becoming increasingly obvious. I think he will get a contract extension, because let's be serious.. Dubas isn't going to be GM LOL.

Lou has done a very good job and now must find that dman.

On a side note I think Mark Hunters seat should be getting a little warm.. selections of Bracco and Marner are selections that just can't happen. You can't cheat in the NHL like he always did in the 'O'

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
A Number one in a trade is a tall order in any era of hockey. But neither Marner or Nylander should ever be included for cap reasons, both under control for a few years.

Not sure what you mean about Marner with that comment, clearly a very capable point producer.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
We just need Jake moved out of the 2nd pairing and replaced with a D'man that can play against any top line, Pk and shutdown. This will take pressure off the other top 3 d'men. I would wait a year or so before considering a marner trade, lets see how he rebounds.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
We just need Jake moved out of the 2nd pairing and replaced with a D'man that can play against any top line, Pk and shutdown. This will take pressure off the other top 3 d'men. I would wait a year or so before considering a marner trade, lets see how he rebounds.
Agreed, if possible I'd try to make Gardiner the main piece and add prospects and picks.

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
It blows my mind that anyone can be this upset (or upset at all, really) about the Marner selection.

The kid has 81 career points with still more than half a season to play before he turns 21. Gaudreau had one career point before he turned 21. Marner's skill is undeniable, how about a little patience? Not everyone is McDavid.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I think Hunter should be given more control. Selections like Bracco and Marner are looking really good, and should continue to happen. He is doing great work unlike Dave Poulin who loved making dumb long term signings. No wonder no NHL team wants Poulin right now.

Reactions: Menzinger and Kurtz

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
A Number one in a trade is a tall order in any era of hockey. But neither Marner or Nylander should ever be included for cap reasons, both under control for a few years.

Not sure what you mean about Marner with that comment, clearly a very capable point producer.

He is just a Dave Poulin fan who is upset Poulin was an unmitigated disaster. There is a reason nobody wants him.
If anything, Bracco and Marner selections should be a priority as they are terrific draft picks.

Vintage93

Apr 2, 2006
Toronto
All he has to do is find that #1, blue chip dman. One of Nylander or Marner will have to be dealt to do so. It is becoming increasingly obvious. I think he will get a contract extension, because let's be serious.. Dubas isn't going to be GM LOL.

On a side note I think Mark Hunters seat should be getting a little warm.. selections of Bracco and Marner are selections that just can't happen. You can't cheat in the NHL like he always did in the 'O'

I think Hunter should be given more control. Selections like Bracco and Marner are looking really good, and should continue to happen. He is doing great work unlike Dave Poulin who loved making dumb long term signings. No wonder no NHL team wants Poulin right now.

It's almost like it's too early to tell on these selections :D

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I might get laughed at and I am actually contradicting myself from what I had earlier said and believed for but for some reason I am having a feeling (note: feeling not logical thought process but a feeling) that Leafs are gonna win the cup this season.

Reactions: Rogie

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm

I'm sorry but this is terrible post. Not even sure if this was serious or you are just some sarcastic internet troll like pixelated boat.

If this was serious then I 100% disagree.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'd like to see him a little more aggressive on the trade front, especially when we had a big opportunity to add something really good this summer. Marleau was good but obviously not a huge need.

On the flip side, I guess we didn't make a bad move either... so at least we're even in that aspect.

Overall I'm very indifferent if he retires or not. I like our support staff to take over.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
If Lou wants to stay on, you keep him.

If he wants to step down, you move him into an advisor role.

One thing he instantly brought to the Leafs, is reputation and respectability. Respect when dealing with other teams, GMs, and player agents. That's something that I don't think the Leafs front office has had in a while, and that's the reason why Lou should have the job until he doesn't want it anymore

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I’m... not sure why no one has mentioned Liljegren... in respect to finding that “elusive” #1 dman.

Lou doesn’t have anything more to prove other than starting to cycle players to better adjust to the timeline of our team.

But really that’s a 2019 problem.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Watching the Soo Greyhounds tear up the OHL at an unprecedented pace with a team and organization mostly built by Dubas, I want him to take over next summer. 75 is just too old -- the cognitive decline will make Lamoriello worse at the job as every year goes by.

The Leafs are at a pivotal moment in their history where they have the chance to set themselves up for a lot of success over the next decade. It would be a disaster if they squander that by being too conservative and hanging onto a GM who is 20 years past his best-before date because they're afraid to go with someone who isn't a big brand name.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

What? So far it seems like most of his picks have been developing quite well, especially the mid and late round picks.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010

You are one pathetic troll.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad