TSN: Lottery Odds Revised

arsmaster*

Could you imagine where Pittsburgh would be without Crosby and Malkin? Probably in Quebec.

If the league went forward with your plan you could end up with some really bad teams end up getting screwed by the lottery year after year, eventually completely eroding the fanbase and needing to relocate.
The league has bad teams that win the lottery. Bad teams are bad teams.

More competitive hockey I'm the stretch drive makes for better entertainment.

Teams icing AHL lineups to cement pick placements are not entertaining.

"Getting screwed" by the lottery happens to teams now. Florida got screwed out of Mackinnon just last year. Columbus the year before. Buffalo were screwed out of the top pick this past draft. If the very worst team doesn't win the lottery their being screwed in your eyes. I don't really care too much about eroding fan bases, fans are either fans or they aren't.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
If the team sucks and is not going to make the playoff they will still trade away UFA.. no matter what the draft format is.. Trades will happen either way

Doing it where all non playoff teams get the same odds would make for better hockey as the season winds down as they know they still have the same chance to get 1st overall..

Curious how it makes it better? Players generally give their all regardless of where they are in the standings, so I'm not sure this changes. GMs all made their moves at the TDL and as you stated, they still likely move "now" assets for futures either way. Only difference I can see is giving fans of the 8-14 teams more of a reason to tune into the draft lottery proceedings, which is not much of a reason to do anything. Am I missing something here?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
The league has bad teams that win the lottery. Bad teams are bad teams.

More competitive hockey I'm the stretch drive makes for better entertainment.

Teams icing AHL lineups to cement pick placements are not entertaining.

"Getting screwed" by the lottery happens to teams now. Florida got screwed out of Mackinnon just last year. Columbus the year before. Buffalo were screwed out of the top pick this past draft. If the very worst team doesn't win the lottery their being screwed in your eyes. I don't really care too much about eroding fan bases, fans are either fans or they aren't.

What teams have iced AHL lineups? Buffalo? I outlined earlier in this thread why they likely still trade Vanek and their other pending UFAs etc even with no incentive from the draft. Edmonton still dumps Hemsky, heck Florida actually picked up a better goalie close to the TDL. I'm not sure I've seen a ton of evidence that teams dump perfectly good assets solely to cement high draft positions, outside maybe of Edmonton trading Ladislav Smid and even that was so early in the season that it doesn't make sense as tanking.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Its good but honestly i wish the NHL would try a reverse lottery of sorts to ensure teams don't tank. By reverse lottery, i mean the 17th place team (or whoever has the most point not in the playoff so they might be higher depending on the difference in conf) gets the highest odds and go from there for all the non-playoff teams. At least that gives every team something to play for. The worst team still gets a pick higher than any playoff team so they still should be gaining on playoff teams tho for poorly managed organizations (i.e. Florida, Edmonton, NYI, etc), they will probably have more issues than before until they fix their management issues (either GM or in the case of NYI, probably a new owner).

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
Yes let's give the bubble team the highest odds for the best player in a given draft.

People don't seem to understand what the draft is supposed to accomplish.

arsmaster*

Yes let's give the bubble team the highest odds for the best player in a given draft.

People don't seem to understand what the draft is supposed to accomplish.

Reward ineptitude right?

They make a bloody tv show out if the lottery as it stands now. Imagine the people that would actually tune in if it wasn't essentially a formality.

I like the nba's lottery best.

Forgive me for not wanting to see all the best young players go to the worst teams. You know the kids themselves would rather not ply their craft in a place that doesn't give two poops about hockey.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
Reward ineptitude right?

They make a bloody tv show out if the lottery as it stands now. Imagine the people that would actually tune in if it wasn't essentially a formality.

Forgive me for not wanting to see all the best young players go to the worst teams. You know the kids themselves would rather not ply their craft in a place that doesn't give two poops about hockey.

Right, and I've spoken my mind that I wasn't a fan of the current lottery system either. I believe that every team should have the ability to move up up to 4 spots (or in the case of the worst team, keep that position) and move back at least 4 spots with percentages calculated accordingly, which effectively hinders teams from banking on the tank in an attempt to rebuild.

Like yourself, it absolutely sucks when players like Tyler Hall go to black hole teams such as the Oilers but at this point, I've accepted it as a necessary evil to provide the most logical and fair (read: not great, but meh) method of introducing a sense of parity in the league. Also, it's not like players are locked to the teams forever; Hall et al could have jumped ship long ago by forcing low term contract deals in their RFA years and jumping out in their first year of UFA if they hated it there but they chose to sign long term deals.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Reward ineptitude right?

Ovie went to DC and they became a highly entertaining team. Crosby went to Pittsburgh and they won a cup. Kane went to Chicago and won two. The point of the best young talent going to the worst teams is kinda so they don't remain the ... ah forget it, just send them all to Detroit and Toronto cause that makes more sense I guess.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
I've accepted it as a necessary evil to provide the most logical and fair (read: not great, but meh) method of introducing a sense of parity in the league.

In my mind, the best way to introduce parity is having something close to true revenue sharing. The "have" teams (like the Canucks) would never go for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad