Rumor: Lots of smoke around the Hawks tonight ...

Mckay

I find your lack of gravy disturbing.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
BACK ON TOPIC!

Hopefully Pittsburg wins tonight and the offseason can begin! Maybe this Chicago trade thing goes down!

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
If Chicago needs to get rid of a huge contract, always look to Uncle Dale.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I wish I could explain in depth how much 'bad contracts' and 'overpaid' don't matter to teams nowhere near the cap ceiling, unless they are low budget teams. Get good players--players are not their contracts when they are on the ice.

What do you think the Oilers did when they signed Milan Lucic to that long-term contract. They took the exact same risk--they paid a premium for his prime years and are paying him well into his 30s. Not everyone on your team is going to have a bargain contract. It just doesn't happen.

Brent Seabrook today is a top pairing defenseman. Today top pairing defensemen are IMPOSSIBLE to acquire. Considering the Canucks will be nowhere near the cap ceiling in the near or far future, it's extremely easy for them to fit that contract into their structure.

Farther down the road, if his career does fall off of the rails, it gets cheaper and cheaper to buy him out as time passes. But today you get a player who can allow you to trade Chris Tanev for his maximum value without your team falling completely off of the rails.

Regardless, I don't care whether or not it happens--in fact I prefer not, because I am an Oilers fan and it would mean Vancouver is doing something right for once.

Your condescension is hilarious. Just so many things wrong.

1. The entire point is WE DON"T KNOW what the Canucks' cap situation will look like many years out. Yes, they shouldn't be a cap ceiling today, but in the future, they may need that cap space. And to your point about getting good players, Seabrook's deal will likely hinder the Canucks from acquiring good players in the future.

2. Your point about contracts "not being on the ice" is quite moot. Contracts matter. It's a cap league. Every roster choice is an opportunity cost. If having Seabrook means losing out on million of dollars in more useful players, that's not good.

3. Seabrook is nowhere near as good as you think he is right now. In terms of shot/chance suppression, he's in the dregs of the league. Offensively he still has it, but his defensive game has already fallen of a cliff.

4. If we want to acquire a defenseman to prevent our team from falling off the rails (lol, have you seen the Canucks anytime recently, I think the rails are already off) then we can just sign a cheap UFA to replace Tanev.

6. The Lucic situation is completely different. The Oilers are competing now. They willingly took on the risk, for a better shot now. They know where they are, and know what Lucic is right now. The situation for the Canucks is completely the opposite. We don't need Seabrook's services right now. The only reason to take him on would be an insane sweetener. We don't know what the Canucks or Seabrook will look like in the future.

So please, stop chastising us on the virtues of taking on Seabrook. We don't want him.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If Hjalmarsson is guy they trade

Then they better get a great haul for the future (Prospects/Picks) because he is a player team cant replace now or anytime soon in lineup

So in a futures package, I assume d-men taken in the 1st or 2nd round would be of higher priority than forwards?

Something like BOS 1st + Zboril (before expansion so you can keep TVR)?

If there is one thing Chicago should do, its not to wait to settle this issue. Thats how you end up moving Boychuk for two 2nd round picks* :cry: :cry: :cry:

* although, one of those picks turned into Carlo so :phew:

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Agreed but how many can comfortably commit to that cap hit for 7 more years on a declining asset without it having a serious negative impact on their future?
I can't think of any.

Devils say hello.

Even if he declines the D-core is so poor that he'd probably still be a valuable asset.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Bolts going to trade Garrison to Vegas. Then maybe add a little something to take Killorn in the draft.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Now that it looks like the cap might stay at the current $73 million mark, Some teams that are up against the cap might need to get creative to shed a bad contract or two depending on how many RFAs and UFAs they need to resign.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Dallas has like 20 million in cap room with a need for a winger and a top 4 D. I know it's in division, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if they were able to swing Hammer with Hossa's contract thrown in.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Dallas has like 20 million in cap room with a need for a winger and a top 4 D. I know it's in division, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if they were able to swing Hammer with Hossa's contract thrown in.

I doubt Hossa moves, simply due to the risk of the recapture penalty.

But damn, I'd be all over that. Maybe another Sharp-esque trade, or something along those lines. We definitely have some decent young assets that Chicago could probably make the most of, especially on defense.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005

Lol, would never trade two of our core players to a division rival. Sharp was the absolute limit in terms of improving a rivals roster. And Hossa will not and can not be traded. We'll deal with his possible negative situation down the road.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If Hjalmarsson is guy they trade

Then they better get a great haul for the future (Prospects/Picks) because he is a player team cant replace now or anytime soon in lineup

And that's why he could be the guy to get traded. He's one of the guys on the team that has great trade value and Chicago could use a re-tool while Kane& Toews are still u30.
A team can't be a contender for 15 years straight.

I can't see any of Kane/Panarin/Keith/Toews get moved, Seabrook& Hossa would be more like pure cap saving trades.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So seasons over and still no trade happening. Knew it was BS :shakehead

Oilyveins97*

Jun 11, 2017
Manitoba

You have it all wrong....

You want Eberle(20% retained) for Faksa + 2nd round pick

;)

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I doubt Hossa moves, simply due to the risk of the recapture penalty.

But damn, I'd be all over that. Maybe another Sharp-esque trade, or something along those lines. We definitely have some decent young assets that Chicago could probably make the most of, especially on defense.

If Hjalmarsson + Hossa is at all possible, I would hope the Devils would be in on it.

I think that's too much of a core-changing move for Chicago though. What would they be looking for in return if something like that went down?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad