McKenzie: Lots of Jonas Brodin trade talk coming out of Twin Cities

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Brodin is indeed protected, as i said he would be. Fistpump.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
weird **** could happen. Zucker to LV would be a HUGE PR talking point. a bit on the silly side if you're talking rational team building though he's a very good player. really not likely to happen but would be sort of cool if LV traded for him...A possible reason to protect him vs Staal. I'm not a fan of the provincial thing but for an expansion team that probably isn't expected to do much right away anyway, the hometown angle (especially considering Zucker is young, and good) is worth something more than it would be to anyone else.

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011
weird **** could happen. Zucker to LV would be a HUGE PR talking point. a bit on the silly side if you're talking rational team building though he's a very good player. really not likely to happen but would be sort of cool if LV traded for him...A possible reason to protect him vs Staal. I'm not a fan of the provincial thing but for an expansion team that probably isn't expected to do much right away anyway, the hometown angle (especially considering Zucker is young, and good) is worth something more than it would be to anyone else.

That would break a very good line though. And I'm sure Staal is very attractive piece for LV... maybe even more so than Dumba.

If Fletcher can somehow pull a deal with LV that they take Scandella +, it would be a huge win for Minnesota. Depending of the + of course :popcorn:

member 157595

Not a Minnesota fan but I think they did the right thing here. Dumba may be right-handed and have more upside, but Brodin is better and in my (perhaps uneducated) opinion is more important for the Wild. As a TO fan I was much more interested in Brodin than Dumba despite the fact that Dumba is right-handed and our RH depth blows.

Assuming LV doesn't make a trade with Minnesota, they'll take either Scandella, Staal or Dumba (IMO the latter, but LV should have more D available than F so you never know.) But at least Minnesota will only lose one of them, rather than losing multiple players had a trade occurred.

I'm assuming the Wild got plenty of offers for Brodin but none were enough to warrant parting with a Top 4 lockdown defenseman that's as young as Brodin is.

Last edited by a moderator:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Hate to lose Staal, BUT I would be thrilled if LV takes him over Dumba. Only way it makes sense is if LV turns around and moves Staal to a contender, or a team like MTL which has aspirations of being a contender.

I'm kind of surprised that MN couldn't get a deal done for Brodin. Maybe they weren't trying to move him, but were listening in case they received an offer that blew them away.

Thing with Dumba is that he isn't a finished player yet...some players are near complete when they enter the league, others improve every year. He's got the tools to be a top 2 Dman. Will be interested to see what he's like at 25, which is when most Dmen just start to hit their prime.

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
Hate to lose Staal, BUT I would be thrilled if LV takes him over Dumba. Only way it makes sense is if LV turns around and moves Staal to a contender, or a team like MTL which has aspirations of being a contender.

I'm kind of surprised that MN couldn't get a deal done for Brodin. Maybe they weren't trying to move him, but were listening in case they received an offer that blew them away.
Staal is easily replaceable. You'd better cross your fingers and pray they take Staal or Scandella over Dumba.

If I was them, I'd be happy to take Dumba.

member 157595

Thing with Dumba is that he isn't a finished player yet...some players are near complete when they enter the league, others improve every year. He's got the tools to be a top 2 Dman. Will be interested to see what he's like at 25, which is when most Dmen just start to hit their prime.

Coming from a fan of a team that lacks defense badly, good young defensemen are hard to replace.

I think you're on to something re: Staal to MTL though.

Schm9311

Mar 19, 2013
Staal is easily replaceable. You'd better cross your fingers and pray they take Staal or Scandella over Dumba.

If I was them, I'd be happy to take Dumba.

Staal is not easily replaceable... 2nd leading scorer on the Wild, good size, good in the faceoff circle, 3.5 mil, Wild have no one to replace him...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad