Post-Game Talk: Loss to the Canes

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Frans Nielsen is having an absolutely terrible season. Probably doesn't even make it to 40 points this season.

He should shoulder a good portion of the blame for the Wings abysmal offense.

Although the defenseman are obviously the biggest reason why this team can't generate any offense.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Frans Nielsen is having an absolutely terrible season. Probably doesn't even make it to 40 points this season.

Although the defenseman are obviously the biggest reason why this team can't generate any offense.

Meh it was a bad signing from the jump. Holland gave a huge contract to a 30 year old filpula level player when a filpula level player was never going to make a difference. Obviously you'd hope for better than 34 points and a -17 at this point but whatever he's just another name on a long list of bad contracts.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Meh it was a bad signing from the jump. Holland gave a huge contract to a 30 year old filpula level player when a filpula level player was never going to make a difference. Obviously you'd hope for better than 34 points and a -17 at this point but whatever he's just another name on a long list of bad contracts.

It wasn't a bad signing. Just a bad contract. 2 years or so more then it should be.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I've enjoyed watching the Canes. Nordstrom is another good player I hadn't noticed before. Damn I would trade teams (beside goaltending, haha) in a heartbeat. To think they had 16 million to play around with (although not sure about next season). IMO they are a vision of what Detroit should be aiming for through high draft picks.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I've enjoyed watching the Canes. Nordstrom is another good player I hadn't noticed before. Damn I would trade teams (beside goaltending, haha) in a heartbeat. To think they had 16 million to play around with (although not sure about next season). IMO they are a vision of what Detroit should be aiming for through high draft picks.

I don't like how Carolina is building things tbh. Like any other up and coming team I would choose over them

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I don't think Frans has been bad... Played 20 games with Glenny too.

If he wasn't making over $5 million on a 6 year contract, sure, I'd be more forgiving. Tied with Green for the 2nd highest salary this season. But if the goal was to bring in a guy who will struggle to produce 40 points and is over 30, there had to be a cheaper option, right?

It's hard to single out any player on this team, but these guys who signed long-term deals need to be held accountable for their inability to produce. The expectation was Frans, being 5 years younger and coming off a 52 point season, could replace what a 37-year-old Datsyuk produced. But oh goodness no.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I don't like how Carolina is building things tbh. Like any other up and coming team I would choose over them
They are set on defense for years. Their one real problem is Francis is brain dead when it comes to goaltending. It's insane he re-signed cam ward. They're a decent goalie away from being comfortably in the playoffs.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If he wasn't making over $5 million on a 6 year contract, sure, I'd be more forgiving. Tied with Green for the 2nd highest salary this season. But if the goal was to bring in a guy who will struggle to produce 40 points and is over 30, there had to be a cheaper option, right?

It's hard to single out any player on this team, but these guys who signed long-term deals need to be held accountable for their inability to produce. The expectation was Frans, being 5 years younger and coming off a 52 point season, could replace what a 37-year-old Datsyuk produced. But oh goodness no.

Yeah, no one thought Nielsen would be a top line C who drove this team, but to put up at least ~45 points and help cushion the loss of Datsyuk? That's reasonable, and the guy just didn't live up to it. The hope has to be that it's been a really hard transition and that he'll be more comfortable and productive next year, but this season has been really underwhelming.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
They are set on defense for years. Their one real problem is Francis is brain dead when it comes to goaltending. It's insane he re-signed cam ward. They're a decent goalie away from being comfortably in the playoffs.

The dcore is good. But I'd honestly take cbjs over that. And I'd take about 5-6 other teams dcores as well. We all know the forwards aren't outstanding. And goalies... yeah. And I'm not even to the teams that are somewhat young/ in their prime.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009

Not saying Nielsen hasn't been a disappointment, but Datsyuk was clearly the Wings' most productive player last season. I doubt Nielsen was expected to replace that. Also comparing stats on different teams is not always smart because line mates and the team overall massively impact a player's point total.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
The dcore is good. But I'd honestly take cbjs over that. And I'd take about 5-6 other teams dcores as well. We all know the forwards aren't outstanding. And goalies... yeah. And I'm not even to the teams that are somewhat young/ in their prime.

You said you don't like how they're building. What don't you like about it? They built the defense which is the hardest part. They have a 50 point rookie forward in aho. They're center depth leaves something to be desired but they may have prospects there I don't know. The only handicap they have is they probably are a budget team going forward. If they had the budget of the leafs to supplement their roster and keep players I'd gamble on them having playoff success before Toronto. Toronto isn't fixing that tire fire defense without a good amount of luck or paying a huge price in assets.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Not saying Nielsen hasn't been a disappointment, but Datsyuk was clearly the Wings' most productive player last season. I doubt Nielsen was expected to replace that. Also comparing stats on different teams is not always smart because line mates and the team overall massively impact a player's point total.

I disagree I think Holland expected frans to replace that production. Honestly it shouldn't have been too much of an ask to do so if frans was a 5.5m player. Datsyuk as great as he was, wasn't datsyuk of old last year. Problem is frans isn't that other than two standout years the expectation for him should be 40ish point player. Another player paid above what he should be slotted higher than he should be on this mess of a roster.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
You said you don't like how they're building. What don't you like about it? They built the defense which is the hardest part. They have a 50 point rookie forward in aho. They're center depth leaves something to be desired but they may have prospects there I don't know. The only handicap they have is they probably are a budget team going forward. If they had the budget of the leafs to supplement their roster and keep players I'd gamble on them having playoff success before Toronto. Toronto isn't fixing that tire fire defense without a good amount of luck or paying a huge price in assets.

Their dcore is good but isn't near the best. Forwards aren't that great. Goaltending isn't good and like you said. Budget team

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Disagree fundamentally. They have some good players, a couple of nice d-men, some promising prospects.. but the elite talent is sorely lacking.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Well, they stop talking about the playoffs and we can look ahead to the future.

I don't want to hose the Griffins out of a shot at the Calder Cup but I'd like to see some more young guys play. Make use of this final stretch and evaluate what you have. I don't care for tanking...if you lose, you lose.

NervousPerson

Apr 11, 2010
It was a beautiful run. Lot of amazing memories. Hopefully now we get to the business of building towards another contender. I'll be honest now that it's come to an end I'm a little misty eyed. Feels like reality has set in that gone are the days of the captain and the Russian five, the grind line, The perfect human on the line,guys like coffee and chelly competing for the norris, Feds flying down the ice with his white skates and hair flowing, vladdy laying out hits whatever he hits he destroys, chants of ozzie and cigars of redemption for Vernie and the dominator shutting out the avs and taunting roy,hof coaches behind the best the greatest of all time putting on skates to take a last spin with the cup. The new generation of euro twins zetterberg to datsyuk dropping jaws and lifting fans from the seats. End of era witnessed from beginning to end lucky for all of us fortunate enough to see it all. What a run,boys.

This is an excellent post. Well done.

Something about the way Nosek moves reminds me of Datsyuk. Obviously not 1 billionth of the actual skill or ability but just something reminds me of it.

I was thinking the same thing last night. Maybe the way he holds his shoulders? Datsyuk replacement found! Yes!

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI

Nielsen was miscast as Pavel's direct replacement. He should be a 2nd or 3rd line center...that's what he was in New York. He's closer to Filppula than Hank or Pavel.

chris05

May 23, 2013
51 is a good solid player. unfortunately he is not good enough to make up for managements stupid decisions on who should be on this roster. 39 should have been playing in the NHL from the start of the season. when you try to promote 71 over 39....you destroy and put an end to 25 year playoff runs.....

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Carolina has a really good defense. Their biggest problem is at forward. I agree that I don't think they're a serious contender but they do have a nice nucleus and if things break right for them with regard to drafting or free agency they could become good very quickly.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Disagree fundamentally. They have some good players, a couple of nice d-men, some promising prospects.. but the elite talent is sorely lacking.

They have three potentially elite pkayers on defense and aho up front. I find it funny you called bs yesterday on someone questioning the ability of aa and mantha to become elite then downplay Carolinas young talent completely. Not surprised, but it's funny.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Nielsen was miscast as Pavel's direct replacement. He should be a 2nd or 3rd line center...that's what he was in New York. He's closer to Filppula than Hank or Pavel.
And that's the Wings' problem in a nutshell. Their best players are either leaving or aging out of high impact status, so they overslot and/or overpay guys who are otherwise decent players, but end up getting asked to play above their station, and they struggle because of it. Really, a big chunk of the roster is in that category...and it won't improve until they find some legit top-tier talent to anchor this mess and start getting things turned around.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
And that's the Wings' problem in a nutshell. Their best players are either leaving or aging out of high impact status, so they overslot and/or overpay guys who are otherwise decent players, but end up getting asked to play above their station, and they struggle because of it. Really, a big chunk of the roster is in that category...and it won't improve until they find some legit top-tier talent to anchor this mess and start getting things turned around.

Without truly elite players apart from maybe Z, almost everyone is out of place. I agree, the trajectory of this team is not going to change until we acquire/develop elite talent. Anyone saying otherwise just can't stomach the thought of the Wings being bad for an extended period of time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad