Post-Game Talk: Loss to the Canes

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I don't think Frans was brought in to effectively replace Datsyuk's production, I thought he was brought in to be an effective defensively responsible center to take weight off of an aging Zetterberg and a young Larkin. Larkin didn't show enough at center early on for Blash to feel comfortable leaving him there all season to give them a chance to make the playoffs(obviously should've let the kid have the growing pains)

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I don't think Frans was brought in to effectively replace Datsyuk's production, I thought he was brought in to be an effective defensively responsible center to take weight off of an aging Zetterberg and a young Larkin. Larkin didn't show enough at center early on for Blash to feel comfortable leaving him there all season to give them a chance to make the playoffs(obviously should've let the kid have the growing pains)

God, I really hope that wasn't the case, you don't need to spend 5m+ for 6 years on a defensive center, you should be able to find those types of guys for half the price.

Nielsen was 100% brought in to be an offensive leader, Holland has to be disappointed in his first year, 45 points is the bare minimum of expectations for a guy like Nielsen. He was brought in to 'replace' Datsyuk on the depth chart alone, no one should expect 55 points, but finishing the season with 35 points is beyond disappointing, it's unacceptable.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I didn't say defensive center for a reason, I guess I should've added a comma so it would be an effective, defensively responsible center. Not a dynamic playmaker/ex-Selke winner a la Datsyuk.

To be fair to Frans Nielsen, he has 2 less ES points this year than last in 8 less games so far.

Last edited:

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Its not just the cost of a bad season and 5 more years of an overpaid middle of the pack center, it was also accepting a lessor rank defensive prospect at a time when the defense should be the primary focus and the team is thin on anyone with elite potential.

Its why Holland needs to go for creating these loose loose situations that will haunt the organization for the next 10 years.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Seems to wilt when games matter. Guess his reputation around the league at the deadline had merit. Dear god I hope Kenneth doesn't bring him back.
Probably doesn't matter, it's not like we're going to have a game that matters for a while.

He might be injured.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad