Confirmed with Link: LOOOOOOOOOOOCH (Oilers Sign Lucic, 7-years, $6M AAV, NMC)

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Here's a cool thing, on the hockey fights board there's a thread asking which teams are the toughest going in to next year

Guess which team is on most replies? :)

I am glad that Chia thinks like we do, he got tired of watching a team getting sand kicked in their faces and their lunch money taken game after game. It's about damn time that someone started doing something about it.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I am glad that Chia thinks like we do, he got tired of watching a team getting sand kicked in their faces and their lunch money taken game after game. It's about damn time that someone started doing something about it.

Thank you.

The old regime didn't match up with the character of Albertans anyways. Soft hockey is not our style. We'll always appreciate our tough guys.

I have a feeling Lucic, Maroon, Kassian, and Nurse (eventually, give the puppy a year in the AHL, bring him back as an alpha dog) will work our crowd into a frenzy. I want to see Rogers Place a terrifying building to come into.

Lucic is going to blow the top off our roof. I know we are all ****ing sick and tired of being bullied. Give me a team with fight, I don't even care if we lose to a better team. But give me some fight, go out and battle. Play with 100% effort, let the chips fall where they may.

Edmonton should be hell on earth for opposing teams to come to.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014

I'd guess we're going to be a little further on the other side of the spectrum this year.

Note: Rereading that thread there were fewer replies than I remembered :D Still good sentiments though

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
How anyone that has watched this team over the last 6 years can say that they have not seen our players intimidated is beyond me (but pro's can't be intimidated!). For all of the love that Hall gets he used to get bounced and bullied around, same with Nuge, same with Eberle and Schultz. I doubt that Gaudreau has had a tenth of the bullying in his 2 NHL seasons that our players did in their first 2 NHL seasons. Pro athletes are not intimidated, meanwhile pro fighters get intimidated, I guess no one watched opponents piss their pants even before fighting the likes of Mike Tyson and a prime George Foreman? Sorry but I think that pro fighters are likely tougher than the likes of Hall, RNH and Eberle. Intimidation is real, just because you are athletic doesn't mean that pain doesn't hurt. Look at Schultz, do you think that he bailed on plays "just because"? In essence pissing away prime earning potential? Guy is scared crapless of getting hit and hurt. Intimidation isn't always about physical harm fwiw, you can be intimidated by many things such as lawyers, beautiful members of the opposite sex, etc. Intimidation is very much a part of human nature.

Bang on.

This is what guys that have actually played the game have been saying. Especially those who have played a role where they had to fight or stick up for their star players. That role was appreciated by teammates. No matter how much some posters want to diminish that, they clearly don't understand locker room dynamics.

awesomo

Sep 12, 2007
location, location
They should sign that guy from the khl who decided to beat up the entire team from Beijing... In preseason. Punched like 3 guys on the ice then went to go punch some guys on the bench lol

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
They should sign that guy from the khl who decided to beat up the entire team from Beijing... In preseason. Punched like 3 guys on the ice then went to go punch some guys on the bench lol

Youtube it up please! :laugh:

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Your viewpoint is confusing and full of weird implications.

You agree that Milan Lucic would never prevent an incident like the Manning one from happening, but call him a "deterrent" and say he would "beat the hell out of Manning". He didn't beat the hell out of Matt Cooke, but whatever.

You're at least implying that he could condition other teams and players to stop touching Connor McDavid. That might come to play when Milan Lucic comes flying into a scrum, but it sure as hell won't deter the thing that actually matters: The hit that puts him out for 3 months.

My viewpoint is pretty clear if you actually want to look at it.

I never said Lucic would never prevent an incident like Manning from happening. I said that you can't expect to have every single incident prevented. There's a huge difference between the two. You can never expect to stop being hit, or challenged, but you can cut down on the amount with having guys like Lucic in the lineup. I don't see how that's such a convoluted stance. I guess because Lucic didn't jump on Cooke, we can logically deduce that he won't jump on someone in the future? That logic is straight bologna.

You're just running around in circles with this stuff. No one expects McDavid to never get hit. No one expects to be invincible. And no one has said that Lucic's presence is going to prevent McDavid from ever being hit. It's the crap after the whistle, the facewashes, the little shots, the bullying, and the cheap ****, that should be lessened.

I don't know why every time I look at this thread someone is trying to teach me that McDavid is still gonna get hit!!11!!1 I guess I need to keep reiterating it. Maybe, I should put it in a signature or something.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
That thead has 4 posts. One guy mentioned us.

Yeah I mentioned my mistake/jumping the gun up above

Nobody disputed it though :D

Edit: Isn't it amazing just to be mentioned at all considering the rep we've had for years now

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
Yeah I mentioned my mistake/jumping the gun up above

Nobody disputed it though :D

Edit: Isn't it amazing just to be mentioned at all considering the rep we've had for years now

I'm sorry. I didn't see that.

It does feel very nice to look at our roster and see not just size and strength at every position, but also a half dozen guys who aren't afraid to drop the mitts, and can still play the game at a high level.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Thank you.

The old regime didn't match up with the character of Albertans anyways. Soft hockey is not our style. We'll always appreciate our tough guys.

I have a feeling Lucic, Maroon, Kassian, and Nurse (eventually, give the puppy a year in the AHL, bring him back as an alpha dog) will work our crowd into a frenzy. I want to see Rogers Place a terrifying building to come into.

Lucic is going to blow the top off our roof. I know we are all ****ing sick and tired of being bullied. Give me a team with fight, I don't even care if we lose to a better team. But give me some fight, go out and battle. Play with 100% effort, let the chips fall where they may.

That's what I liked about the late 90's/early 00's Oilers. They didn't have much skill but would outwork the other team while making life miserable for them. How do you go from that to what might have been the biggest collection of ******* in NHL histroy.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
That's what I liked about the late 90's/early 00's Oilers. They didn't have much skill but would outwork the other team while making life miserable for them. How do you go from that to what might have been the biggest collection of ******* in NHL histroy.

It all comes down to KLowe, with a huge helping of enablement by Katz.

It is very difficult to fairly judge the totality of his 30+ years with this organization because the "tier II fans" press conference and the arrogance that led to that comment wasn't always there.

Helluva good player, no questions asked.

He was a pretty solid GM. Not great, but three playoff appearances including a cup run ain't really that bad in seven years. Especially given the last 11 years.

Then he became POHO and the wheels fell off.

Maybe Katz gave him too much freedom? Maybe the EIG kept KLowe in line as GM?

You can really point to the downfall of the Oilers with Katz becoming sole owner/KLowe becoming POHO.

I place more blame on KLowe than Katz, because eventually Katz did get it. He hired Nicholson, who did eventually clean house a little. Maybe it was all cuz of winning McJebus, but I don't see any circumstance in which MacT is still GM.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
My viewpoint is pretty clear if you actually want to look at it.

I never said Lucic would never prevent an incident like Manning from happening. I said that you can't expect to have every single incident prevented. There's a huge difference between the two. You can never expect to stop being hit, or challenged, but you can cut down on the amount with having guys like Lucic in the lineup. I don't see how that's such a convoluted stance. I guess because Lucic didn't jump on Cooke, we can logically deduce that he won't jump on someone in the future? That logic is straight bologna.

You're just running around in circles with this stuff. No one expects McDavid to never get hit. No one expects to be invincible. And no one has said that Lucic's presence is going to prevent McDavid from ever being hit. It's the crap after the whistle, the facewashes, the little shots, the bullying, and the cheap ****, that should be lessened.

I don't know why every time I look at this thread someone is trying to teach me that McDavid is still gonna get hit!!11!!1 I guess I need to keep reiterating it. Maybe, I should put it in a signature or something.

There is another point that is often missed, mostly because people think offense for this line of thinking.

The space that Lucic, Maroon, and Kass make on the ice for McDavid will contribute to both more time and space to setup, set plays, and score goals as well as allow players like McD, Ebs, RNH, and the like to dodge any incoming body missiles with a little more ease.

It's a slightly alternative view but I happen to think it makes sense.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
I'm sorry. I didn't see that.

It does feel very nice to look at our roster and see not just size and strength at every position, but also a half dozen guys who aren't afraid to drop the mitts, and can still play the game at a high level.

Which teams are tougher now though? I can't think of one that is clearly tougher.

kurtcobang

Feb 18, 2007
What's naive is thinking that a grown athlete is going to change the way he NEEDS to play to ensure his six-to-seven figure salary because a scary man grabbed him and pushed him around for doing it.

The "deterrent" idea is nonsense. It was nonsense 15 years ago, it's even bigger nonsense now. The rules protect players from actual danger. They don't have to fight and if they're grabbed, they turtle and their team gets the powerplay (and possibly your player suspended). They certainly aren't going to think "gee, I won't grab McDavid and take him down mid-rush because Lucic might punch me".

And the only evidence I need for that is this. That's Milan Lucic at 1:10, standing helplessly over Marc Savard's prone body. Biggest example of a career ending hit in modern NHL history and Lucic himself was on the damn ice NOT deterring a damn thing.

You dont think Looch would have reacted that game against Calgary where Bennett was running around all game?
I don't understand how you cant comprehend that intimidation is a part of hockey.
Look at Regehr, he use to murder us every game. You dont think players want to avoid being targetted?
You're welcome to your opinion but safe to say the vast majority of hockey fams disagree with you

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You dont think Looch would have reacted that game against Calgary where Bennett was running around all game?
I don't understand how you cant comprehend that intimidation is a part of hockey.
Look at Regehr, he use to murder us every game. You dont think players want to avoid being targetted?
You're welcome to your opinion but safe to say the vast majority of hockey fams disagree with you

Being an intimidating player is not the same as being a deterrent.

It appears that you and some other posters are confusing these terms.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Thank you.

A working class crowd with ticket prices anywhere from 100-500/ticket? Nah, I don't think so. Theres going to be as many suits in there as anything. I give you that if this had occurred years ago, contiguous with the 100hits Oilers Ronnie Low regime that was catering to a working class crowd. This building not so much.

If you missed Ronnie Lows club its too bad. That was entertaining and always a hard working squad. I liked that team a lot.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

Robyn Regehr would level Ales Hemsky every single game at a time when the Oilers employed useless heavies to "deter" such things. So many of these incidents occured in the days of Laraque and MacIntyre.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Robyn Regehr would level Ales Hemsky every single game at a time when the Oilers employed useless heavies to "deter" such things. So many of these incidents occured in the days of Laraque and MacIntyre.

Those guys played 3 minutes a night. Lucic plays 1st line. You're never going to stop things from happening completely, but Lucic will throw people off their game, and make people pay when they cross the line against us

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
You have a right to your opinion however I couldn't disagree on it any more than I am right now so I'll just agree to disagree.

No idea what you guys are saying but hook a Mod up with the translations.

:laugh:..you deleted my post, but there was nothing bad in it..just something my dad would say, which translated to ..."I'll crack your head open"
the other phrase though?..:naughty: vulgar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad