Confirmed with Link: LOOOOOOOOOOOCH (Oilers Sign Lucic, 7-years, $6M AAV, NMC)

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Freak injuries happen. Clean hits happen in hockey. Part of the game.

I think what we're more talking about is players roughing McDavid up or taking liberties with him. Also you're not going to see guys after the whistle trying to get into McDavids head. It's that type of stuff.

Hitting is part of the game, I'll always advocate for clean hits. It's the not being bullied part and knowing you have guys ready to go to war for you that gives your teammates confidence and self-belief. Everyone stands a little taller.

This is fair enough.

The Matt Cooke's and Raffi Torres' of the world have not been dissuaded by Milan Lucic or players like him and probably never will be. That's my point.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The added bonus is the fact that McDavid plays really well with a big bruising winger on his line.

Lucic crashing the forecheck heavy, controlling the cycle, and crashing the net will open up the time and space a playmaker like McDavid needs. We've seen it many times, he plays better with a heavy winger on his line. He doesn't need two speedster wingers on his line. He plays best with a bruiser that opens up the space he needs.

This pretty much sums up why Lucic will be very valuable to this team. The deterrent factor is an overplayed myth but Lucics value on the ice where he is dictating the play can't be overstated. This IMO will also inspire his teammates to play a little taller.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Because your stupid beer league/Bantam AAA/whatever experience doesn't equate to a league where players keep their seven figure careers to play a certain way?

Because the entire facile purpose of your question is to pretend like you have some kind of lean on what professional players think and do?

Players get run with enforcers on the damn ice. It's always happened and it always will. Maybe your tough guy helps you out in post-whistle scrums - could not be less meaningful. If Manning is getting beat wide by McDavid - the existence of Milan Lucic will never even cross his mind.

This is really obvious.

You still haven't answered my question.

I agree that the heat of the moment decisions may not be effected by having tough players on your team. But I do strongly believe it has an impact on a teams overall mentality, willingness to engage, morale, willingness to lay it on the line, etc.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
This pretty much sums up why Lucic will be very valuable to this team. The deterrent factor is an overplayed myth but Lucics value on the ice where he is dictating the play can't be overstated.

For sure. Lucic dictating the pace in the offensive zone is his biggest benefit. He's a skilled hockey player as well, we can't forget that.

What he will bring on the forecheck, cycle, and sucking defenders into him when he crashes the net meshes perfectly with a playmaker like McDavid who can take advantage of every little piece of ice he's given.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
You'd think the posters who think it doesn't exist, would of noticed how different the oiler's were as a team even with just Maroon.

I'm guessing they stopped watching near the end of the season but it was clearly a different team than before with just the addition of Maroon.

As having played hockey most of my life, this does exist and you certainly have more freedom when you know you have someone like Lucic or Maroon that will be right in there going to war with you without even thinking twice.

Agreed 100%. That first game with Maroon where he and Kassian pretty much ran the Flyers out of their own rink (specifically the moment where he took on 2 Flyers at the same time) was the first time since the cup run where I felt a sense of Oiler pride. It was all anyone wanted to talk about at work the next day. And now we're adding Looch to the equation?:yo:

Is having one of these guys with McDavid a direct deterrent to someone targeting him? Hard to say, but all 3 of our big guys have enough crazy tempers that the other team's star might be targeted. At that point it's eye for an eye, and we have more guys capable of inflicting damage than most teams. If you're Brouwer or Ferland, do you really want to target McDavid when it
a) means getting past Looch to do so
and
b) means there's 2 other lines with one of Kassian/Maroon looking to skewer Gaudreau into a human shishkebab.

At that point I think the deterrent exists. Kassian broke Gagner's jaw swinging his stick, Looch has gone looney numerous times (running over Miller, spearing guys in the playoffs). Obviously McDavid is still going be hit, but I don't think the extracurricular stuff is going to happen much to him.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Players get run with enforcers on the damn ice. It's always happened and it always will. Maybe your tough guy helps you out in post-whistle scrums - could not be less meaningful. If Manning is getting beat wide by McDavid - the existence of Milan Lucic will never even cross his mind.

This is really obvious.

This is what Milan Lucic will do for Connor McDavid.

Not prevent a dirty hit or a freak incident like the Manning thing.

Could you please show me where everyone stated that Lucic is going to prevent every hit against McDavid?

Are you guys misrepresenting our stance on purpose? Like, how many times do we have to state it until it gets acknowledged instead of ignored to make the same misleading argument?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
This is fair enough.

The Matt Cooke's and Raffi Torres' of the world have not been dissuaded by Milan Lucic or players like him and probably never will be. That's my point.

Sure, if a guy is going to take a cheap shot, he's going to do it. But I would imagine it would be a ****ing bloodbath if someone took a Torres type shot at McDavid. To be clear, I'm not talking about clean body checks. McDavid is going to get hit.

The reality is, we have the type of squad that other teams don't want to get into that type of play with. Lucic, Maroon, Hendo, Kassian, Nurse. We've got some tough guys that can play on the squad.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Agreed 100%. That first game with Maroon where he and Kassian pretty much ran the Flyers out of their own rink (specifically the moment where he took on 2 Flyers at the same time) was the first time since the cup run where I felt a sense of Oiler pride. It was all anyone wanted to talk about at work the next day. And now we're adding Looch to the equation?:yo:

Is having one of these guys with McDavid a direct deterrent to someone targeting him? Hard to say, but all 3 of our big guys have enough crazy tempers that the other team's star might be targeted. At that point it's eye for an eye, and we have more guys capable of inflicting damage than most teams. If you're Brouwer or Ferland, do you really want to target McDavid when it
a) means getting past Looch to do so
and
b) means there's 2 other lines with one of Kassian/Maroon looking to skewer Gaudreau into a human shishkebab.

At that point I think the deterrent exists. Kassian broke Gagner's jaw swinging his stick, Looch has gone looney numerous times (running over Miller, spearing guys in the playoffs). Obviously McDavid is still going be hit, but I don't think the extracurricular stuff is going to happen much to him.

Exactly. As Messier used to do when he'd skate by the other teams bench "touch Gretz and we're targeting your stars".

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
For sure. Lucic dictating the pace in the offensive zone is his biggest benefit. He's a skilled hockey player as well, we can't forget that.

What he will bring on the forecheck, cycle, and sucking defenders into him when he crashes the net meshes perfectly with a playmaker like McDavid who can take advantage of every little piece of ice he's given.

Completely agree.

I am very much looking forward to this as well.
Haven't seen this type of dynamic at play with this team in at least 10 years. It will be a pleasure to watch and I dont think we should underestimate the impact it will have on this teams ability to win tight games.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Completely agree.

I am very much looking forward to this as well.
Haven't seen this type of dynamic at play with this team in at least 10 years. It will be a pleasure to watch and I dont think we should underestimate the impact it will have on this teams ability to win tight games.

This is the best the team has looked in the past decade in my view.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
This.

Many of us actually played hockey
, probably more so than almost any fan base on HF. The boys love having an enforcer and tough guys on the team. Everyone stands taller, they build morale and are generally loved by the squad.

Knowing a guy has your back no matter what matters. Despite the NHL trying to take the hate out of the game, having tough guys (especially a guy like Lucic who actually has skill) makes a team better.

sigh

equating peoples respective knowledge of NHL players, and what they think, and what deters them is akin to me comparing myself to Bobby Fischer.

Why on Earth do people go there?

There is no comparison, none, between casually playing the game at a young, or beer league level, and the type of motivation that gets setup when NHL contract dinner bells are rung.

Indeed countless NHL goons were players that never even fought much in their lives, and were often even uncomfortable initially with the idea, but when some Junior coach said it would get them drafted they'd go into a bull ring and punch bulls for the money.

Funny that money causes motivation. Who knew?

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
sigh

equating peoples respective knowledge of NHL players, and what they think, and what deters them is akin to me comparing myself to Bobby Fischer.

There is no comparison, none, between casually playing the game at a young, or beer league level, and the type of motivation that gets setup when NHL contract dinner bells are rung.

Indeed countless NHL goons were players that never even fought much in their lives, and were often even uncomfortable initially with the idea, but when some Junior coach said it would get them drafted they'd go into a bull ring and punch bulls for the money.

Not Oilers fans :sarcasm:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
One more RH dman please....preferably an offensive dman. :D

Then I am on board with your statement.

I know, I know. I guess Wiz maybe?

Klef-Larsson
Davidson-Sekera

Not bad top 4. Move Sekera to the right side, you've got to play your best 4 Dmen on the top 2 pairings if you don't have perfect balance. Oesterle-Fayne on the 3rd pairing.

In any event, this is the best I think we've looked in the past decade. We have one clear hole to fill versus 3 or 4 glaring holes we've had season after season.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Not Oilers fans :sarcasm:
Now stop it, stop it, that's completely silly, onto the next skit. ;)

monty%2Bpython%2Bgeneral%2Btoo%2Bsilly.jpg

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
sigh

Whatever, I'll engage today :).

For someone that talks about psychology to an ad nauseum degree and speaks about the thoughts of another human being (objection, speculation), this should be up your alley.

Since the thoughts of the players seems to be your forte, tell me what do you think about having the presence of players you know are tough as nails and have your back? These guys are always popular in the locker room. Or do you disagree? Please psychoanalyze Dr.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Could you please show me where everyone stated that Lucic is going to prevent every hit against McDavid?

Are you guys misrepresenting our stance on purpose? Like, how many times do we have to state it until it gets acknowledged instead of ignored to make the same misleading argument?

Your viewpoint is confusing and full of weird implications.

You agree that Milan Lucic would never prevent an incident like the Manning one from happening, but call him a "deterrent" and say he would "beat the hell out of Manning". He didn't beat the hell out of Matt Cooke, but whatever.

You're at least implying that he could condition other teams and players to stop touching Connor McDavid. That might come to play when Milan Lucic comes flying into a scrum, but it sure as hell won't deter the thing that actually matters: The hit that puts him out for 3 months.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Whatever, I'll engage today :).

For someone that talks about psychology to an ad nauseum degree and speaks about the thoughts of another human being (objection, speculation), this should be up your alley.

Since the thoughts of the players seems to be your forte, tell me what do you think about having the presence of players you know are tough as nails and have your back? These guys are always popular in the locker room. Or do you disagree? Please psychoanalyze Dr.

I'm saying that people citing their own personal experience and what it felt like having somebody on their bench has next to no bearing on the motivational aspect of pro players who are paid handsomely to play the game.

I'm not speculating at all. I'm observing what I've stated in the thread. That I rarely if ever see any NHL antagonize get effectively backed off by an enforcer or deterrence.

Hey, by all means answer the question I've asked 3 times. What SJ was backed off by Lucic or the Kings in the very short playoff series in which the Sharks, undeterred by any level of physical play, annihilated the kings. Name one Shark that was off his game due to the physicality.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Your viewpoint is confusing and full of weird implications.

You agree that Milan Lucic would never prevent an incident like the Manning one from happening, but call him a "deterrent" and say he would "beat the hell out of Manning". He didn't beat the hell out of Matt Cooke, but whatever.

You're at least implying that he could condition other teams and players to stop touching Connor McDavid. That might come to play when Milan Lucic comes flying into a scrum, but it sure as hell won't deter the thing that actually matters: The hit that puts him out for 3 months.

One example I can give of how players have treated the Oilers differently is when we play the Canucks. Guys like Edler and Hamhius (not on their team anymore, I know) suddenly start to run around with their elbows up thinking they are untouchable. They don't do that stuff against teams that can push back, but the Oilers have always been easy targets and those guys act like they're 2 feet taller against us because all they had to worry about was Hordichuk or Gazdic whining from the bench. That kind of thing needs to stop and it should now with guys like Lucic, Maroon and Kassian on the team.

You'll never stop the weasels with zero honour or pride who run around trying to end careers and then turtle and hide behind refs. But guys that actually do have a little pride and and stand up for themselves when someone comes at them, they think twice about taking liberties against a team that can actually stand up for itself. And it's not just the threat of getting back at the guy that did something cheap that is the deterrent, it's when there are guys that can play 15+ mins a night and play good hockey that can start taking big runs at your skill players to get you back. That's something we've had zero of over the years. Teams would laugh their butts off if we tried to send out Gazdic to take a run at a Sedin.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I'm saying that people citing their own personal experience and what it felt like having somebody on their bench has next to no bearing on the motivational aspect of pro players who are paid handsomely to play the game.

I'm not speculating at all. I'm observing what I've stated in the thread. That I rarely if ever see any NHL antagonize get effectively backed off by an enforcer or deterrence.

Hey, by all means answer the question I've asked 3 times. What SJ was backed off by Lucic or the Kings in the very short playoff series in which the Sharks, undeterred by any level of physical play, annihilated the kings. Name one Shark that was off his game due to the physicality.

First paragraph, fair enough. Anecdotal experience projected as evidence that pro athletes have the same type of locker room culture that minor/junior hockey players have could be a leap of logic. I'll concede. Many posters here played high level hockey (i.e. AAA, AJHL, WHL, etc.) and are repeating the same thing about having tough guys on the team. But, that may not extrapolate to the pros.

I think we are being side tracked, the main contribution Lucic provides is his actual play. He's a bruising, physical winger who can open up space for McDavid. McDavid does play well with a physical winger that can win board battles and get him the puck in space.

Regarding deterrence, it's not Lucic alone. It's a squad full of guys ready to battle for their leader. Don't kid yourself, this is McDavids team and the guys will all follow his lead and battle for him. You must also concede, the situation Lucic is coming into is different than his previous experience. He's never played with a generational player like McDavid. And there is no player in the NHL like McDavid. Hard to compare other examples to McDavid when salient differences can be noted.

Look, clean hits happen. It would be purposefully not arguing with the Principle of Charity (giving your interlocutor the best possible interpretation of their position) to say posters are saying Lucic will prevent every hit.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Here's a cool thing, on the hockey fights board there's a thread asking which teams are the toughest going in to next year

Guess which team is on most replies? :)

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
How anyone that has watched this team over the last 6 years can say that they have not seen our players intimidated is beyond me (but pro's can't be intimidated!). For all of the love that Hall gets he used to get bounced and bullied around, same with Nuge, same with Eberle and Schultz. I doubt that Gaudreau has had a tenth of the bullying in his 2 NHL seasons that our players did in their first 2 NHL seasons. Pro athletes are not intimidated, meanwhile pro fighters get intimidated, I guess no one watched opponents piss their pants even before fighting the likes of Mike Tyson and a prime George Foreman? Sorry but I think that pro fighters are likely tougher than the likes of Hall, RNH and Eberle. Intimidation is real, just because you are athletic doesn't mean that pain doesn't hurt. Look at Schultz, do you think that he bailed on plays "just because"? In essence pissing away prime earning potential? Guy is scared crapless of getting hit and hurt. Intimidation isn't always about physical harm fwiw, you can be intimidated by many things such as lawyers, beautiful members of the opposite sex, etc. Intimidation is very much a part of human nature.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad