Pre-Game Talk: Look ahead to our next los- errrr game

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I have to continue to have faith in this team, that they'll figure it out.
I don't know if Sunday's a mandated rest day according to the CBA (if it's not, this team needs to be at Mastercard Centre bright and early).

I think by this time what the Leafs really need to do - is strip everything down, have a players only meeting, shoot the poop, Randy & Company come up with a game plan that the team can actually DO - and then DO IT.

It wouldn't surprise me if we had the best December in history. It also wouldn't surprise me if we went .500 or went winless. OptimisticDaisy needs to recharge.

What was glaringly absent last night, was our push back. I am not sure what happened to our tough team.

It puzzles me, no emotion, no instigating. Orr not wanting to fight Parros, his only 3rd fight of the year. I wonder if he is hurt. Still Clarkson, Fraser, Dion, Kadri, guys that played aggressively last season were no where to be found.

This lack of edge concerns me, when the best hit was laid out by Bozak on Markov last night, I know we are not playing our game. This team seems to have lost its identity.

Carlyle won the cup in his 2nd year coaching Anaheim. I can think the team started tuning him out after his 4th year with Anaheim, so I don't think he is the problem. Most coach's have short lifespans anyway, look at Mclean in Ottawa. So perhaps it's a player personnel issue.

Going to be interesting seeing how Nonis addresses this. The lack of fire is what concerns me most.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I have to continue to have faith in this team, that they'll figure it out.
I don't know if Sunday's a mandated rest day according to the CBA (if it's not, this team needs to be at Mastercard Centre bright and early).

I think by this time what the Leafs really need to do - is strip everything down, have a players only meeting, shoot the poop, Randy & Company come up with a game plan that the team can actually DO - and then DO IT.

It wouldn't surprise me if we had the best December in history. It also wouldn't surprise me if we went .500 or went winless. OptimisticDaisy needs to recharge.

Leafs next 8 games SJ, Dallas, Ottawa, Boston, LA, STL, Chicago, Pitts.

If Leafs play .500 or better then there is every reason to be optimistic.

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
Really big test this month for the Leafs. They can't continue to feel sorry for themselves

I hang with a few millionaires, and none feel sorry for themselves. Professional hockey is a mercenary business. Many Leaf players have clued in - I've got the contract, why kill myself?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
What was glaringly absent last night, was our push back. I am not sure what happened to our tough team.

It puzzles me, no emotion, no instigating. Orr not wanting to fight Parros, his only 3rd fight of the year. I wonder if he is hurt. Still Clarkson, Fraser, Dion, Kadri, guys that played aggressively last season were no where to be found.

This lack of edge concerns me, when the best hit was laid out by Bozak on Markov last night, I know we are not playing our game. This team seems to have lost its identity.

Carlyle won the cup in his 2nd year coaching Anaheim. I can think the team started tuning him out after his 4th year with Anaheim, so I don't think he is the problem. Most coach's have short lifespans anyway, look at Mclean in Ottawa. So perhaps it's a player personnel issue.

Going to be interesting seeing how Nonis addresses this. The lack of fire is what concerns me most.

I wrote about this sort of in the Loose-Leafs today.

Where the heck did our physical game go? Like - it's not there at all. Period. Komarov could not have been the fire underneath all of that fisticuffs. It wasn't Fratty or Grabo either (or Kostka). and those are the only people who are different.

I mean - Orr turned down a fight, and then appealed to the ref - appealed! I've never ever saw that ever in life (from him on this team, anyway). You really have to wonder if what happened with Parros on Opening Night really did a number on him, mentally. To give him credit he's being a decent enough 4th liner - but if he and McLaren are being paid to fight - and they are not fighting - then don't we just waiver them (risk losing them) and call up some Marlies to be our Nothing/Energy line? (nothing to the sense that we don't give up goals/don't score any) but they'll whack and bang you.

(it also doesn't help - the past two/three weeks, anytime Phaneuf hits something hard, he's called for Roughing - same with Franson. - last year, when our PK was the stuff legends were made of, it didn't matter, but now we're letting in an average of 2 goals per game :cry: I can see why they aren't really going after the rough hit).

but there's no fire in the belly. Nothing. Nada. Zlich. I mean - at this point, I could go out there and play, and i've never put skates on in life.

I'm saying Phaneuf needs to call a players only meeting, and the entire need needs to air some poop. the end. Because this "meh, let's show up, we'll pot a goal or two, who cares what happens after," attitude is making me an angry panda.

[and I don't even know what Nonis can do. I'm stumped]

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Leafs next 8 games SJ, Dallas, Ottawa, Boston, LA, STL, Chicago, Pitts.

If Leafs play .500 or better then there is every reason to be optimistic.

Oh - I know.
I just need to let the optimism recharge. It was a brutal week :cry:

What floats through my head is how we played Anaheim. We had a slow-ish start, but then we really picked up the game. If THAT team can come up - and do that against the west teams - we're okay.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
At least call up Leivo and Broll, shake up the lines a bit.

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Leivo-Kadri-Kulemin <-- I've seen more chemistry with Kadri-Kulemin than Kadri-Clarkson
Raymond-Holland-Clarkson <-- #FreeHolland and Clarkson should play 3rd line
Broll-McClement-Orr <-- Broll>>Ashton/McLaren for 4th line role

Also PLEASE, do not overuse McClement. Let him be used for PK.

#1 PP UNIT:
JVR-Kadri-Kessel

#2 PP UNIT:
Raymond-Holland-Clarkson

Last edited:

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Another potential blowout. The Leafs will not get away with only 20-40 minutes of effort and a bunch of dumb penalties against the Sharks, they will bury us if we dont play our best game of the season.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
If this upcoming stretch of games does not make them play some of their best hockey of the season then nothing will. I will miss half of this game. Maybe by the time I will be back home and turn on the tv they will surprise me and be winning?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I wrote about this sort of in the Loose-Leafs today.

Where the heck did our physical game go? Like - it's not there at all. Period. Komarov could not have been the fire underneath all of that fisticuffs. It wasn't Fratty or Grabo either (or Kostka). and those are the only people who are different.

I mean - Orr turned down a fight, and then appealed to the ref - appealed! I've never ever saw that ever in life (from him on this team, anyway). You really have to wonder if what happened with Parros on Opening Night really did a number on him, mentally. To give him credit he's being a decent enough 4th liner - but if he and McLaren are being paid to fight - and they are not fighting - then don't we just waiver them (risk losing them) and call up some Marlies to be our Nothing/Energy line? (nothing to the sense that we don't give up goals/don't score any) but they'll whack and bang you.

(it also doesn't help - the past two/three weeks, anytime Phaneuf hits something hard, he's called for Roughing - same with Franson. - last year, when our PK was the stuff legends were made of, it didn't matter, but now we're letting in an average of 2 goals per game :cry: I can see why they aren't really going after the rough hit).

but there's no fire in the belly. Nothing. Nada. Zlich. I mean - at this point, I could go out there and play, and i've never put skates on in life.

I'm saying Phaneuf needs to call a players only meeting, and the entire need needs to air some poop. the end. Because this "meh, let's show up, we'll pot a goal or two, who cares what happens after," attitude is making me an angry panda.

[and I don't even know what Nonis can do. I'm stumped]

Areas we need to address:

PK has slipped of late
2nd defence pairing. Tired of hearing Gardiner has potential, let's see some of it. Not likely coming.
Secondary scoring. Kadri, Clarkson, Kulemin, Raymond, Mcclement(zero goals this season) are all most accountable.

Aggression, far too easy to play against this year. Need to get back to Leafs hockey.

Mansfield

possession obsession
Apr 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
tough stretch starts now.

Got a feeling we're going to start playing well. Playing down to the level of the opposition is over now we get to play up to the level of competition and get some unexpected wins so Carlyle can become a god around here again

this. hoping playing some good teams will help us get our act together

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

Sharks :cry:

I have a feeling that 24/7 is going to be following the team through a lengthy losing streak.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

tough stretch starts now.

Got a feeling we're going to start playing well. Playing down to the level of the opposition is over now we get to play up to the level of competition and get some unexpected wins so Carlyle can become a god around here again

lol. no.

the smurfs aren't as good as us but the difference is not huge. the penguins are better than us. we didn't lose because we were "playing down", we lost because the team is current ****.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
1-4 in the last 5 vs. the Sharks. 3 of the 4 losses were all by one goal. Since we hardly play them, this is over 5 years, but, if any team usually looks exactly the same every year, its San Jose.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I love how there are two groups of posters who come on, one are real fans on all of the time(who can be objective about the team), and the others just to make one or two line remarks about how bad the team is when they start to faulter. Keep it up guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad