Long time "Norris Candidate" Defensemen are Overrated / Not Built for Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
- Hedman (Swept and 0 Championships)

- Letang (Swept, carried by Crosby and Malkin)

- Karlsson (Down 3-1 and 0 Championships)

- Burns (Down 3-1 and 0 Championships)

I mean the Sharks have two of the "best" and down 3-1. That shows you how worthless these type of defensemen are come playoff time. Last time the Pens won a Championship Letang was on the bench. Coincidence? No.

I watched Karlsson try to dangle somebody in front of his goalie on the PP last night down 1 and gave up a quality scoring chance from point blank. Pens scored a huge goal. Immediately Letang tries to dangle two guys at the blue line and gives up a 2 on 1, they score. Game/Series over.

Can we stop praising these ****ty defensemen who picked the wrong position as a kid?
Should this have been typed out in green?
So much wrong with this

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
EK 65 looks to be playing on a bum leg, but is defensive IQ is low. Poor positioning and boneheaded passes in his own zone. Really needs to simplify and quit making that highlight drive or pass. He has not helped Jones one bit. Braun has looked better in all zones so far which is freightening.

Burns has been their best D-man, even in his own zone followed by Braun. Big drop off after that.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Keith and Doughty are nothing alike Letang, Subban, Burns. You must not a lot of hockey from these two to say something like that
All the players mentioned are modern-day PMDs. I would argue that Subban, Keith and Doughty are cut from the same cloth, whereas Letang and Burns are probably worse defensively than the other 3 but just as good if not better offensively, and would include John Carlson in that group.

Still, no players in the NHL are exactly the same, but the players share enough similarities to be comparable since they are all #1 D with tremendous puck moving abilities. It's not like I'm comparing Doughty to Chara, or PK Subban to Chris Pronger here...

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
The OP demonstrates a severe lack of understanding for the game. Wildly off-base.

Winning a championship requires far more than any individual can contribute, therefore counting championships and attributing them at the individual level is going to be far from definitive.

Reactions: Phu and Hivemind

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Counter point: Keith, Doughty, Chara, Pronger

All great. I'm talking about the new overhyped ones the last 5-6 years.

Hedman and Karlsson has played with major injuries.

They are always injured. So is Letang. It's almost like doing too much = higher risk of getting injured. Maybe if they just focused on playing their position instead of being a 4th forward they wouldn't always be injured.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
it's because the Norris voting has changed throughout the years... it's no longer the the best defenseman overall but the most skilled offensively

but a NORRIS doesnt mean a CUP

Reactions: SouthGeorge

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
The OP demonstrates a severe lack of understanding for the game. Wildly off-base.

Winning a championship requires far more than any individual can contribute, therefore counting championships and attributing them at the individual level is going to be far from definitive.

Yes, it's a team game. What you fail to realize is their selfish play doesn't = team play. That's why Hedman, Karlsson, Burns, and PK are all Cup-less.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
No, you are implying that one player makes all the difference, therefore the number of won Cups is the ultimate benchmark, the favourite nonsensical argument of many people on this forum. I am just mocking it.

Reactions: Mrpm and Macbanan

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
FYI: SouthGeorge has a searing, primordial hatred of Letang that is honestly unlike anything I've ever witnessed before. The purpose of this thread is to bash Letang, so like, I wouldn't get caught up in it if I were you, a member of a non-Penguins fanbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland