London Knights 2023 - 24 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
As last season finished, and the Knights bowed out to the Petes in the Championship Series, I made the observation that last season was simply a dress rehearsal for this season, and that we'd be back.

Now I do realize that there are some formidable obstacles to get past to advance to the Championship series this year, but several items convince me that this team is quite capable of accomplishing just that.
Our players are a year older, and know what's required to finish on top. They came close, but fell just short. They're bigger physically, mentally, and have bonded as a team. New guys have fit in and elevated their play when our veteran players were absent. Secondary scoring has also developed, although it wasn't quite there last season. Special teams ( PK & PP ) have become the envy of most other teams.

The team has come a long way from a few seasons back, when Evangelista & Stranges were carrying much of the offense, and secondary scoring hadn't really developed. Brett Brochu managed to steal a few games and the team wasn't elite, but entertaining, and that's being charitable.

The biggest change I feel, has been the commitment to playing team defense, as opposed to flat-out offense. Previously, Dale's teams had a top line with game breaking talent, supported by strong secondary scoring, and the defense being somewhat of an afterthought. 180 degree change, but still highly entertaining.

Going to be interesting to see how far this team will go, when they seemingly all have each other's backs.

Reactions: LDN

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Thought I would go down the Moneyball route here with some basic mathing sheets.... Ultimately NB has the easiest schedule but is behind in winning percentage so their schedule advantage is mitigated.

As you can see London has an easier schedule and holds a massive statistical advantage in terms of winning percentage vs average competition at .198 winning % gap.

In terms of difficulty of schedule relative to teams success its: (easiest to hardest)

1. London (0.198)
2. Saginaw (0.157)
3. Sault Ste. Marie (0.147)
4. Kitchener (0.113)
5. North Bay (0.107) (Weaker schedule but weaker team to begin with)

Let me know your thoughts or if there is other stats that jump out to you.
I like the analysis. If I am reading it correctly, of the 5 teams analyzed Kitchener has had by far the most difficult schedule (0.576 average win %)? Wondering how the remaining schedule strength compares for the contenders?

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
I like the analysis. If I am reading it correctly, of the 5 teams analyzed Kitchener has had by far the most difficult schedule (0.576 average win %)? Wondering how the remaining schedule strength compares for the contenders?
Expected wins should be in the 17-20 range for the rest of the season.

TheOrangePylon

Jan 4, 2023
London, ON
Hmm so this weekend the OHL is ok with the Sop hit???
I wish I was surprised but the officiating is almost as consistent as the supplemental discipline.
That one, was by far the most dangerous of the hits on the weekend ... not quite sure how that one gets missed. It was also, the only hit the resulted in an injury.

I sure do wish the ref wouldn't have been in the way when Leonard got up looking for Sop.
With that said, Leonard never played another shift and left shortly after and didn't return. So for his health's sake, probably best he didn't go get in a scrap when he was injured from the hit.

crowncarrier

Apr 10, 2015
That one, was by far the most dangerous of the hits on the weekend ... not quite sure how that one gets missed. It was also, the only hit the resulted in an injury.

I sure do wish the ref wouldn't have been in the way when Leonard got up looking for Sop.
With that said, Leonard never played another shift and left shortly after and didn't return. So for his health's sake, probably best he didn't go get in a scrap when he was injured from the hit.
The league is an inconsistent joke when it comes to officiating and suspensions. How Sop did not get a 5 min major and tossed from the game is insane. Edward's suspension is a joke...jumping up and catching the guy with the palm of his glove get you a two game suspension. ...yet you can fight a guy and punch him in his face and receive a five minute penalty and continue to play in the game. Absolute joke. What Sop did was far more dangerous then Edward and Andonovski combined.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
We all know how tough Leonard is, it takes a lot to keep him down, and he likes to show it too. The thing is, sometime it's best not to look at the refs right away and to stay down a bit longer to recuperate. Refs may think players are faking it as soon as the head is up looking for referees, we saw it on McCue when Sop took him down with a crosscheck, as soon as McCue looked up at the ref he was given the Unsportsmanlike Cnd. If the Knights can play it smart and disciplined against the remaining Kitchener games, they now know how to get into Sop's head and what gets him going

Reactions: zman77

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
The league is an inconsistent joke when it comes to officiating and suspensions. How Sop did not get a 5 min major and tossed from the game is insane. Edward's suspension is a joke...jumping up and catching the guy with the palm of his glove get you a two game suspension. ...yet you can fight a guy and punch him in his face and receive a five minute penalty and continue to play in the game. Absolute joke. What Sop did was far more dangerous then Edward and Andonovski combined.
Hold on a second, these are not quite the same hits between the two.

Getting hit by a 200lbs player with a momentum speed with or without an open hand is not the same as a closed fist punch standing immobile on ice with skates. Punches to the face may cut you or give you a black eye, but won't put you out of commission for a month or two like open ice momentum hits do to the head. The call and suspension was deserving, and Sop should have been up for full review as well

Reactions: zman77

crowncarrier

Apr 10, 2015
Hold on a second, these are not quite the same hits between the two.

Getting hit by a 200lbs player with a momentum speed with or without an open hand is not the same as a closed fist punch standing immobile on ice with skates. Punches to the face may cut you or give you a black eye, but won't put you out of commission for a month or two like open ice momentum hits do to the head. The call and suspension was deserving, and Sop should have been up for full review as well
We will agree to disagree on the Edward's suspension but there are many players that would argue that fighting has long lasting injuries to players that are as bad or worse then any "head shots" you see players get suspended for. And I'm not saying fighting does not serve a purpose...im just saying if the league was really against head shots they would get rid of fighting given the information we have now of the lasting effects.

Reactions: RB76

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
We will agree to disagree on the Edward's suspension but there are many players that would argue that fighting has long lasting injuries to players that are as bad or worse then any "head shots" you see players get suspended for. And I'm not saying fighting does not serve a purpose...im just saying if the league was really against head shots they would get rid of fighting given the information we have now of the lasting effects.
You can start by telling all this to boxers, wrestlers, Kung-fu and UFC fighters then, and all other kinds of fighting sports.

Only in hockey, eh, there wouldn't be headshots if fighting was allowed, in today's game they can't settle their scores at centre ice, they are finding other ways to get their paybacks and settling scores. You are talking to a man who played the game with real lumber in hands without helmets, eating shoulders pads or hit to the heads were rare, even high sticking were self controlled, I'll tell you. Oh yes, I do have scars on my knuckles and on the face, broken fingers, and had broken nose and cheekbones, I've never really been good at it, but I stood my ground. I've had both eyes shut tight for four days once from black eyes on both, if I ever had a concussion it must have been a very lite one, despite it all. We didn't miss the amount of games they are losing today due to long term injuries, is what I am saying.

I am not saying the old ways were any better, all I am saying we didn't need to open ice hit someone or drive players through end boards, no one dared to, because they knew what was to come. I do love today's game, but I sure missed the old game, of course, and us old folks survived to tell about it without headaches too

All the Answers

Jan 19, 2020

McCue on Mesar, who is day to day also resulted in an injury and went unpenalised both in the game and after the fact...

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
You can start by telling all this to boxers, wrestlers, Kung-fu and UFC fighters then, and all other kinds of fighting sports.

Only in hockey, eh, there wouldn't be headshots if fighting was allowed, in today's game they can't settle their scores at centre ice, they are finding other ways to get their paybacks and settling scores. You are talking to a man who played the game with real lumber in hands without helmets, eating shoulders pads or hit to the heads were rare, even high sticking were self controlled, I'll tell you. Oh yes, I do have scars on my knuckles and on the face, broken fingers, and had broken nose and cheekbones, I've never really been good at it, but I stood my ground. I've had both eyes shut tight for four days once from black eyes on both, if I ever had a concussion it must have been a very lite one, despite it all. We didn't miss the amount of games they are losing today due to long term injuries, is what I am saying.

I am not saying the old ways were any better, all I am saying we didn't need to open ice hit someone or drive players through end boards, no one dared to, because they knew what was to come. I do love today's game, but I sure missed the old game, of course, and us old folks survived to tell about it without headaches too
Hockey is the only non-combat sport where players are not kicked out of the game and suspended for fighting

McCue on Mesar, who is day to day also resulted in an injury and went unpenalised both in the game and after the fact...
Did the Rangers submit a tape?

Reactions: TheCoach and rve24

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
So we won cause we are dirty? Is that the Rangers claim?
Mesar was injured from a McCue hit (Friday game at the Aud). The video is posted on the Ranger thread. I watched it over and over, pausing it at the moment of contact. I was looking for an elbow to the head to explain the injury, but I didn't see it. I focused on McCue's elbows, slowing it down frame by frame, and I could only see McCue's elbow by his side. If the elbow came up, it would have been quickly, in the blink of an eye, and likely to the chest, not the head. It's possible that a Ranger fan might have better/clearer video of the hit, and if so, I'd like to see a screenshot of the actual contact.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Not all hits are illegals and are susceptible for suspensions

Not all hits constitute to a punishable suspension or worthy of reviews, only because one got injured. It is very much possible the injury came out of a legal hit and the player's fall caused the injury after, it sometime not the fault of the hitter if the recipient didn't protect himself as a result of a perfectly legal hit

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Mesar was injured from a McCue hit (Friday game at the Aud). The video is posted on the Ranger thread. I watched it over and over, pausing it at the moment of contact. I was looking for an elbow to the head to explain the injury, but I didn't see it. I focused on McCue's elbows, slowing it down frame by frame, and I could only see McCue's elbow by his side. If the elbow came up, it would have been quickly, in the blink of an eye, and likely to the chest, not the head. It's possible that a Ranger fan might have better/clearer video of the hit, and if so, I'd like to see a screenshot of the actual contact.
Away from the play wasn't it? Obviously something happened or there wouldn't have been an injury.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Don't slow it down. Watch it regular speed. You see McCue forcefully launch the butt end of his stick /elbow into the high chest area. Not sure if he caught the head or not but that doesn't really matter. It's well off the puck, a very dirty play.

Link to post:

Not all hits are illegals and are susceptible for suspensions

Not all hits constitute to a punishable suspension or worthy of reviews, only because one got injured. It is very much possible the injury came out of a legal hit and the player's fall caused the injury after, it sometime not the fault of the hitter if the recipient didn't protect himself as a result of a perfectly legal hit
Hmmm...watch the play. I don't think you would be arguing any of these things if you just watch the play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia