London Knights 2023-2024 Season Thread (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobHockey

Jul 9, 2015
Yes all teams have them, that is why I find it funny when team fans only see it on the teams they are playing against. Apparently their team is just trying to " sell" a call while other teams are just a bunch of " divers". Carry on.
I'm disappointed you didn't like my joke about the pool:(

Thanks. Wow, that's a match penalty? Maybe b/c it's S. Bolton. Anyway, I prefer someone else in the lineup anyway

Reactions: dino200022

BobHockey

Jul 9, 2015
I am starting to wonder if London and the Hunter brothers have outgrown this junior league level. This league's immaturity is undeniable. I am willing to bet Mark and Dale would have the same success with a professional team in London. and the fans would be there to cheer them on too.
I'm not so sure about that. We had AA baseball team here that was the Detroit Tigers affiliate as well as a pro hockey team - Vipers? Neither were supported.

dino200022

I'm not so sure about that. We had AA baseball team here that was the Detroit Tigers affiliate as well as a pro hockey team - Vipers? Neither were supported.

Agree, I highly doubt we are supporting another team as a community which is sad because of the size of the city. The one thing that I think MAY at some point garner some traction would be a PWHL team. But based on their finances I would say they are quite far away from expanding that at this point.

Reactions: Otto

purple pharrt

Jan 23, 2024
sec 107 r2
The biggest reason that the double A baseball team wasn't supported was when Labatt Park was remodeled to accomodate them, someone decided that aluminum seating would be great for maintenance. With the AA season starting late April, those aluminum clad seats became hemeroid city, and only an insulated blanket could lend any comfort to those cold,, cold seats. It wasn't until mid to late May, that those seats became tolerable, so the Tigers lost much early season support. Putting bums in the seats was challenging.

Reactions: three dog night

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I'm disappointed you didn't like my joke about the pool:(

Thanks. Wow, that's a match penalty? Maybe b/c it's S. Bolton. Anyway, I prefer someone else in the lineup anyway
Oh I did like the joke about the pool but I think I was sending the wrong message with my comments ( not taken as humor) so I backed off, lol.

Reactions: zman77

All the Answers

Jan 19, 2020
How many slewfooting penalties can you get before it qualifies for progressive discipline? Or does that not apply to automatic suspensions?

FOR THE RECORD I'm not here to say this was a suspendable offence or not. The league reviews all slewfoots (slewfeet?) and can and has dropped the supplemental 2 games. They didn't in this case, hence my original question.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Oops my bad. I might have been a tad serious. Accept my apology. Had a brain fart. 🤪
Ya you had no brain fart, it is sometimes hard to convey humor through written text. Most people read their own thoughts between the lines .
English is not my first language, although it is my only one.
So not always good at pening my thoughts to paper.
No harm no foul. Stay safe.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
I wasn't referring of a double AA team or a team of the unwanted players league. If they are to have a team it would only be of the AHL caliber or better, in baseball, if London had a AAA team they would have had better supports. London is no longer a small city, the mind set has to be of a higher caliber, certainly better then OHL, to generate much attention

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Brian Kilrea coached Ottawa 67 until the age of 81, I think Dale, who's hockey is in his blood has a few more years to go yet.

That is a fair suspension, with 26sec it was unnecessary and very dangerous
Not a slew foot. Not sure how you can call Lawrence's hit clean yet call this a slew foot

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Cow-MVP-Wide.png

COWAN NAMED RED TILSON TROPHY WINNER​

Category: ArticleMay 2, 2024
Tags: Easton Cowan
Toronto, Ont. – The Ontario Hockey League today announced that Toronto Maple Leafs prospect Easton Cowan of the London Knights is the 2023-24 recipient of the Red Tilson Trophy, an award presented annually to the OHL’s Most Outstanding Player as voted by the writers and broadcasters that cover the league.
Cowan finished his sophomore season with 34 goals, 62 assists and 96 points in 54 games, registering the league’s second-highest production rate of 1.78 points-per-game. He garnered league-wide attention with his 36-game point streak that spanned from Nov. 25 through the final game of the regular season on Mar. 24, eventually reaching a run of 42 games in the OHL Playoffs. The 36-game mark established a new London Knights franchise record, and is the longest point streak the OHL has seen since 1995

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
I wasn't referring of a double AA team or a team of the unwanted players league. If they are to have a team it would only be of the AHL caliber or better, in baseball, if London had a AAA team they would have had better supports. London is no longer a small city, the mind set has to be of a higher caliber, certainly better then OHL, to generate much attention
Zero chance. No way the arena can support three major tenants ( Knights, Lightning, AHL) AHL is more expensive for fans , plus you're dealing with payroll. Mark and Dale have a good thing going they are not about to ruin it with a big financial risk.

How many slewfooting penalties can you get before it qualifies for progressive discipline? Or does that not apply to automatic suspensions?

FOR THE RECORD I'm not here to say this was a suspendable offence or not. The league reviews all slewfoots (slewfeet?) and can and has dropped the supplemental 2 games. They didn't in this case, hence my original question.
From reading the supplemental discipline portion of the OHL rulebook I could not see anything that says there's any automatic suspension for a slew foot

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Not a slew foot. Not sure how you can call Lawrence's hit clean yet call this a slew foot
I think you are right for not being a out right slew foot, but pushing an out of balance player backward with your arms in open ice is also view a form of a slew foot without the foot moving forward. I really don't know if it's slew foot but is very dangerous move never the less at a moment when it wasn't necessary near the end of a game. Clearly we've seen Boulton actively pushing a player backward, unlike Lawrence when he was skating along side Motew and ahead of him. Motew directly moved onto Lawrence, we did not see Lawrence doing any aggressive move toward Motew, aside from skating with him when the collision occurred. Even if I think the rule is wrong, I support the refs. They are following the rule protocol set by the league, refs were right, league ruling is wrong for not paying more attention to players playing with their head low, in an accepted contact game, is my beef

dino200022

Zero chance. No way the arena can support three major tenants ( Knights, Lightning, AHL) AHL is more expensive for fans , plus you're dealing with payroll. Mark and Dale have a good thing going they are not about to ruin it with a big financial risk.

From reading the supplemental discipline portion of the OHL rulebook I could not see anything that says there's any automatic suspension for a slew foot
I think a match penalty under 5 minutes no matter what warrants the automatic suspension.

Reactions: Fastpace and zman77

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa

Not three teams, only two. This was about the Hunter brothers outgrowing the junior hockey level and selling the team out and bringing in an AHL calliber pro team for London fans. To not having to deal with the junior league immaturity level anymore.

All the Answers

Jan 19, 2020
just read the same. Strange that every slewfoot in recent memory has come with the same (an automatic) 2 games, unless determined the incorrect call was made where there has been nothing. Under this ruling, as long as there is no injury on the play, a player could theoretically get kicked out on the 1st shift of every 3rd game and stay in the league... playing devil's advocate.

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
Congratulations to Cowboy on a well deserved award. Hope he comes back to us bigger, stronger and faster next season
On another note, more congratulations are in order that was overshadowed by today's big announcement. Today the OHL announced that Rodwin Dionicio and the Saginaw Spirit were awarded the Greg Louganis award. Definitely well deserved.

Last edited:

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021
The biggest reason that the double A baseball team wasn't supported was when Labatt Park was remodeled to accomodate them, someone decided that aluminum seating would be great for maintenance. With the AA season starting late April, those aluminum clad seats became hemeroid city, and only an insulated blanket could lend any comfort to those cold,, cold seats. It wasn't until mid to late May, that those seats became tolerable, so the Tigers lost much early season support. Putting bums in the seats was challenging.
Interesting perspective. I was too young for the Tigers so it’s nice to hear from people who were around the city during that time.

I’d love affiliated ball in London. Current roadblocks I see to that are:

-Labatt Park is very outdated; seating as you say and zero modern amenities that other minor league parks have.
-fans. London fans are not minor league baseball fans. It’s about development first and foremost - moving players up levels. Not winning. London wants to support winning teams.
-London Majors/Roop Chanderdat/Scott Dart. A big roadblock preventing any higher quality baseball returning to London. I have no problem with amateur baseball (though I will never give these two a nickel) but these folks should not have the power they currently possess in preventing indy or affiliated ball from trying London

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021
Sorry for hijacking the thread with baseball talk. Should be a great game tonight. Series could be 2-2 very easily. I prefer Ryder over Sawyer anyway (quicker, less penalties/suspensions) and he has room to grow his game. Still would rather he only see meaningless minutes for the rest of the postseason.

Interesting that Woolley was not dressed on Wednesday. He’s definitely ahead of Jenken imo so I wonder if something is up.

Simpson is fine. If the centers and D can box out better and minimize screens, chances are he’ll see it and stop it. Big game goalie for sure. I’d argue he stole game four. I was on the fence about that trade in October but happy to eat crow. Seems like a nice kid too. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad