London Knights 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
By my definition, an elite level goaltender leads both of those categories, and has demonstrated that he's not only capable of keeping his team in games by timely saves, but also stealing the occasional game that his team should have lost. In the recent past, the Knights have had 2 such goalies in Parsons & Houser. Raymakers is OK, but isn't in the same category. To be fair, he hasn't had the defence in front of him that Houser & Parsons had.

In all fairness to Raaymakers he has to deal with a strugling team with a very young group of defenders in front of him. Unlike Mason, Houser, Dennis and Persons they always played behind good teams with good groups of defenders most of the time !

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
By my definition, an elite level goaltender leads both of those categories, and has demonstrated that he's not only capable of keeping his team in games by timely saves, but also stealing the occasional game that his team should have lost. In the recent past, the Knights have had 2 such goalies in Parsons & Houser. Raymakers is OK, but isn't in the same category. To be fair, he hasn't had the defence in front of him that Houser & Parsons had.

I never said Raaymakers was an elite goaltender (though his stats almost equal Parsons' one good season). 'Adequate at best' was just not the correct way to describe his play this season in my opinion. He's been excellent by any standard.

Reactions: dirty12 and zman77

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
I never said Raaymakers was an elite goaltender (though his stats almost equal Parsons' one good season). 'Adequate at best' was just not the correct way to describe his play this season in my opinion. He's been excellent by any standard.
Dale and Staff trust Raaymakers.............A Lot!!
He is a 'Pro' with his excellent Attitude and Game Preparation.
Check out what the Coaches say on Raaymakers.
“Raaymakers preparation is outstanding,” Hunter said.
“Two hours before a game, two hours after, he’s got the balls going, the cold tubs, the preparation is some of the most professional I’ve seen. He treats himself as a professional.”
Rob Simpson
“His character is off the charts,” he said.
“Even though he’s a goalie, and a lot of times those guys are within themselves, he’s vocal and patting guys on the back. If he makes a mistake, he’ll take ownership.
“Overall, we’ve played better, but when you have goaltending, it gives your team a certain amount of confidence. If they make a high-risk play, there’s someone there to make the big save when it matters.”

932Raaymakers, JosephLDN1710265074644322.510.91512W4L1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016

"Good", I'll give you, but "excellent" should be reserved for an elite level tender. This is like the grade 8 english lesson.....good,Better, BEST. BTW, "adequate" was never intended to be a slight or in any way derogatory, but more of an expression of how he has played. It's more of a comparison to how he has provided his teamates with a confidence level that they hadn't previously exhibited before his arrival.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
"Good", I'll give you, but "excellent" should be reserved for an elite level tender. This is like the grade 8 english lesson.....good,Better, BEST. BTW, "adequate" was never intended to be a slight or in any way derogatory, but more of an expression of how he has played. It's more of a comparison to how he has provided his teamates with a confidence level that they hadn't previously exhibited before his arrival.
I'll go with Rob Simpson and Dale Hunter.
Their English is very clear and quite good. ;)
Joseph Raaymakers:
“Even though he’s a goalie, and a lot of times those guys are within themselves, he’s vocal and patting guys on the back. If he makes a mistake, he’ll take ownership.
“Overall, we’ve played better, but when you have goaltending, it gives your team a certain amount of confidence. If they make a high-risk play, there’s someone there to make the big save when it matters.”

GobigorGohome

Jan 31, 2017
Pt Maitland NS
Joseph Raaymakers:

Just cause you repeat it does not make it true.
Ray is good not great by any measure.
Give it a rest.

Reactions: zman77

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
interesting to see if Raay can keep his save %age over .900; hasn't done that his entire career
With the defence I saw in front of him last night, I think it will be tough for sure. Most mediocre looking Knights team I've seen for a long time. Bats could have easily won the game.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Just cause you repeat it does not make it true.
Ray is good not great by any measure.
Give it a rest.
Joseph Raaymakers:

I agree..............it's a bit too much.
Great point Shane.

Parsons had more than 1 good season. Without him last season the Knights don't even make the playoffs. Said it before and I'll say it again..Parsons is pretty much the best I've seen at this level. The definition of a goalie that can single handed win you games

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

The fact that you said Parsons had one good season tells me you really don't know enough about London to be posting here and acting like you do.

KnightWatch

Sep 7, 2011
Raymakers definetly turned your season around it was a good trade for both teams you got your starter and we got some much needed picks and a good backup who pitched his second shutout today

Raaymakers is a decent goaltender with a great work ethic, but I still say he's getting way too much credit for the Knights' turnaround. The Knights players, themselves, turned their season around with the addition of some key players returning from the NHL as well as learning (and remembering) how to play a team defense. Kooy and Johnson were simply the scapegoats. At least Johnson is getting the odd start up north....but I think it's a travesty that Kooy has had to sit and watch from the sidelines ever since!!!

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Raaymakers is a decent goaltender with a great work ethic, but I still say he's getting way too much credit for the Knights' turnaround. The Knights players, themselves, turned their season around with the addition of some key players returning from the NHL as well as learning (and remembering) how to play a team defense. Kooy and Johnson were simply the scapegoats. At least Johnson is getting the odd start up north....but I think it's a travesty that Kooy has had to sit and watch from the sidelines ever since!!!

They needed another option.
Johnson n Kooy weren't the answer at the time.
There's a reason Kooy hasnt started since Raay joined the club.

We were very fortunate to have Houser n Parsons the last few years. Spoiled actially. But Raaymakers has been much better than Johnson/Kooy option was.
And yes the team has been better as well, but he has made a difference. At least according to those closer to the situation than us posters. And the eye test.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Watching what? Nothing is wrong hes doing fine
If you read my post, I said stat watching. I literally said I haven't watched him play.

He was drafted in the first round 2 years ago and isn't a ppg in the OHL. From strictly stat watching, that is concerning. I was asking for an opinion from the people that actually watch him play?

Does this make sense to you now or do you need me to put it into diagram form?

Reactions: WKBCFAN

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
If you read my post, I said stat watching. I literally said I haven't watched him play.

He was drafted in the first round 2 years ago and isn't a ppg in the OHL. From strictly stat watching, that is concerning. I was asking for an opinion from the people that actually watch him play?

Does this make sense to you now or do you need me to put it into diagram form?
Chief you make a good argument on Max Jones.
However, Stats don't always tell the 'true tale' on Jones.
Max Jones is a 'Prototypical Power Forward'.
He's very fast with an explosive first step, nasty, strong in the corners and in front of the net, excellent shot and hits like a Mack Truck.
He has played very well this 2017-18 season.
Jones has been a 'model citizen' on the ice where he's had to control his emotions especially after whistles. He's learning when and how to use his power effectively.
He has a 'high motor' and the opposition is always aware of his presence because he's relentless on his pursuit of the puck. He's getting plenty of 'Shots on Goal.' He ranks 3rd on the Knights.
Recently Jones scored 2 beautiful Back Hand Goals from 'impossible angles.'.............impressive!!
Dale Hunter:
"To get that puck up that quick on the backhand, that's how strong he is," London coach Dale Hunter said.
"Max had a good game. He has good hands in tight."
Max Jones:
"You work on things every day," Jones said.
"You work on getting the puck up, shots from the blue line and tips.
It translates to the game and it was nice to throw that one at the net and
nice to see it go in."

Will he be playing for Team USA at the WJC?
imho, Jones would be an excellent addition to the USA Team.
He can play a number of roles including being very effective on the PK.
Knights top Guelph 5-1

Reactions: TheCoach

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
London Knights Players are Optimistic.
Ryan Pyette LFP:

“This year, any team can win on any given night,” London captain Robert Thomas said after his overtime winner Saturday against North Bay. “I think that’s been proven the whole season. You look at North Bay, stole one from Sarnia Friday
(and the Sting blew a 6-0 lead against Saginaw on Saturday).
We pay attention to it. In our division, it’s a tight race to be at the top
and everyone’s in it.
“Everyone’s battling hard and all the teams are pretty close.”
The Soo Greyhounds are the one model of consistency in the league right now. They have been hard to beat.
But the Knights look around their division and don’t see any runaway clubs.
Kitchener is in front, but has flaws. Owen Sound needs a starting goalie and Guelph and Erie are in different stages of a rebuild.
London is, by goals allowed, the best defensive team in the Midwest. That’s before knowing what the resurgent Canadiens will decide with Victor Mete, who was plus-five in the blowout win over the Red Wings Saturday.
Take away the dreadful 1-8-1 start and the Knights have won 12 of their last 17, outscoring their opposition by a combined 73-44. That’s the kind of gap good-to-contending teams keep in the goal differential department.
“Dale trusts a lot of the older players,” Pu said.
Liam Foudy and Billy Moskal showed some signs of creativity in the Battalion win. That encouraged the usual suspects.
“They’ve been pushing all year,” Thomas said.
“It’s just a matter of finishing. We’ve all had our slumps.
They’ve been doing all the right things and pushing hard and getting better each game. They’re going to start burying them.
“We’re all confident of it.”
The Knights top six scorers have accounted for 76 per cent of the team’s goals this year.
The announcements of Hockey Canada’s invitees could come as early as Monday and the Knights are going to have to win some games without Thomas, for sure, and maybe another player or two.
He has 17 goals, best on London. Max Jones, with 14, is second and
should be with the defending champ United States.
Tight fight all right for Knights

Reactions: Fastpace
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad