London Knights 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Max Jones: Is he dressing tonight against San Jose?

on65hGlH_bigger.jpg
Eric Stephens‏Verified account @icemancometh 3h3 hours ago

Nothing has been made official but Jones and Sam Steel were not part of today's morning skate.
Have asked about status

Nabru

Aug 29, 2009
Reactions: TheCoach

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
Now i hope jones can play on the edge without going over maybe Anaheim has told him the same thing

Reactions: Nabru

Nabru

Aug 29, 2009
Anaheim must have got good news about a few of their players on the shelf. Bad for Jones that he didn't get into any regular season games, but good for us in London. The team is starting to take shape...just need Formenton Mete and Bratt back and we're legit contenders.

When Formenton comes back, at least the Knights can put some pressure on other teams with a couple of quality duos - Jones/Pu, Formenton/Thomas. Bratt would have added another dimension but with talk of him starting in New Jersey, I doubt he ever plays for London again with the AHL an option for him.

Reactions: PhlyerPhanatic31
I really think that even with Mete Bratt Formenton back it won't be enough.. losing Miletic and Crawley will kill us
Bratt for me is the clincher. If he arrives in London it will offset the loss of Miletic up front(which is still a huge loss). With Miletic and Crawley already assigned to the AHL, they aren't even in my thought process right now.

Nabru

Aug 29, 2009
I wouldn't rule out Miletic or Crawley yet. Those AHL teams usually have a large number of players looking for spots.

Mete is the most significant loss - # 1 d-man, plays in all situations.

What's funny is no one is talking about Juolevi, who was scratched tonight. Looking more like Europe or London for him.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I don't think Bratt was Londons 1st choice heading into the Euro draft but when plans go sideways it's nice to know this club can identify talent ( albeit they probly picked a player too talented lol) and go after it.
I also think think Crawley is gone.
Miletic, no idea, not following it, but as has become the norm here in London.... expect kids to move on to pros....
Mete... he's earned a few game in the show IMO. Wait n see how he handles reg season games.
Crazy how close so many kids are going pro/almost made pro this year.
I guess the staff does draft n envelop well ;)

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Not a fan of the new site layout. Looks so plain now.

Anyways, I think two of Crawley/Juolevi/Mete need to come back for London to have any shot at all of contending. Otherwise I just feel like the blue line will be far too inexperienced.

If it means anything Crawley didn't play in the Wolf Pack's first exhibition game (Day was slated for first pairing) They still have guys that might get send down too.

Not sure about Miletic but Pittsburgh has a pretty deep farm system.

Juolevi definitely won't be making the Canucks but for some reason a lot of Canucks fans seem to think Europe is his most likely destination.

As for guys like Bratt/Mete, it's great that they're doing well and are exceeding expectations. But the intensity ramps up quite a bit in the regular season. I optimistically think both will be in London after extended looks.

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
Juolevi definitely won't be making the Canucks but for some reason a lot of Canucks fans seem to think Europe is his most likely destination.

I would think if Vancouver was high on Juolevi going to Europe they would let london know also its easier to watch him play in london versus Europe in my opinion

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Victor Mete: Claude Julien will probably pair Mete with Jordie Benn on Friday.
9h0lfeCe_bigger.jpg
John Lu

@JohnLuTSNMtl
#Habs Julien says there’s a good chance Mete will play Friday, potentially with Benn.
Julien wants to try Mete in different situations.

Victor Mete likes playing the Right Side on Defence. This will provide that opportunity.
Montreal Fans Comment
:
Runner77:
I don't think it's a great idea to have a such a talented prospect (and the Habs are not bursting at the seams with them, esp. LHD PMDs) skip that extra year, that is so often critical to his development. We only saw Mete in a handful of meaningless pre-season games, who knows how he'll handle real opposition. He's a candidate for a 9-game stint at this point. He's not the one that was foreseen as a serious first pairing possibility when Bergevin acquired so many bodies to play LHD. Bergevin will just have to go with a committee approach since this is how he built his D corps for this season.
Pie Her:
He should make the team. He is already the third best defencemen on the team.
Mete Weber
Schlemko Petry
Streit Benn
Alzner (Press box)
Scriptor:
Svoboda weighed less than 160 lbs all wet when he first played with Montreal as an 18-yr old. Rafalski was 5'10" and weighed 10 lbs or so more than Mete at his biggest. This notion that Mete will get destroyed is much too overblown. He'll be overmatched during some one on one battles for the puck or positioning in his own zone, but he has great gap control and plays a solid D-game on top of being a good offensive D.
Mete seems capable of adjusting quite well. so I don't see him necessarily hitting a wall by sticking around to play in the NHL. It could be a case of playing with Weber in favourable game situations, including the PP, and another D on a lower pairing at other times, like when Alzner pairs up with Weber in a shutdown role at times during the game
Habaholicgolf:
The more I think about it, the more it makes sense we put Alzner with Weber. We try Jerabek, Morrow, or Schlemko but if they fail, we pair Alzner with Weber. These two would be even better than Emelin/Weber last year and that worked out fine until Emelin ran out of gas.
Mete needs to go back to Junior. I think it's a mistake throwing him into our critical path with our team core and with Bergevin as a 19 year old. He's going to get his taste of the NHL but go back to Junior and play for team Canada at the U20 Juniors. Bulk up and be ready for next year. The experience he gets this year will help him mentally prepare for next year.
If Mete makes the team, I won't be upset but it's anybodies guess how he does in a 82 game schedule as a 5'-10" 181lbs 19 year old playing D. He's likely to get hurt and not finish the year IMO.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/victor-mete.2096189/page-33

I'm very excited to see the lineup tonight with a few veterans back. Personally with the way he's been playing I would give Carbonara a chance to skate with either Thomas or on a unit with Pu and Jones. He's earned it as I feel he's played very well the 1st few games and in the exhibition games.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
So if we don't get Sam Miletic back, and we somehow get Jesper Bratt back. Who can replace Miletic. Can we put Foudy up there or do we go out and get a guy like Taylor Raddysh??

Jones - Pu - Raddysh
Formenton - Thomas - Bratt

That's a pretty lethal top 6 and I was hoping for a bit more time without the star because they're gonna need it with the possibility of Pu, Jones, Mete, Thomas, Juolevi, and Bratt all but almost guaranteed a spot on Team Canada if they perform as expected....

LKfan

Sep 19, 2017
I would think if Vancouver was high on Juolevi going to Europe they would let london know also its easier to watch him play in london versus Europe in my opinion
How does the fact that Juolevi is not on the website's current roster but someone like Mete is factor into this topic?

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Having Jones back will change the team scenario , the Knights can use him in so many situations in the way of finest to muscles, he can play on the first line and be the Mathew Tkachuk of two season ago taking attention away.

It appears Carbonara has some more tools in his toolbox , it would be interesting to see how well in can use them on a second or first line playing with bigger talents (?) !!!

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London

The thing is, Sami Salo has been a guest coach with the Canucks, and he's also the coach for TPS Turku of the Finnish elite league. He will also serve as an assistant coach for the national junior team. And we all know Salo's connection with the Canucks, so I think they would be more than happy to send him overseas too. Not saying Juolevi won't come back to London, I just don't deem it as likely....

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
So according to Juolevi's agent the most likely destination is back in London, but Finland isn't being ruled out.

(according to someone on the Nucks board)
That would be huge.... I have been tough on Olli the last few years but he is still a very very good hockey player..... professional all-star.... no never. But he could be a huge factor in making london a contender if he is returned. METE though is more valuable.

Maxxim1

Oct 17, 2005
Just printed in the Province

Nikolay Goldobin was the first to go.
At least, the first we knew about.
Spotted on a plane to Chicago on the way to Utica, the Russian winger was among those who got the bad news on what was billed to be cutdown Friday.
After a spirited 3-1 home win against the Calgary Flames on Thursday, Vancouver head coach Travis Green vowed the team would make cuts to get the roster down to a manageable number as the Canucks prepare for their preseason finale.
A decision about Scottie Upshall was made for the Canucks, as the veteran forward left for a deal with the St. Louis Blues. Other cuts included Olli Juolevi, Anton Rodin and Philip Holm.

It’s expected Juolevi will be assigned to team in Finland in the next couple of days.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
https://canucksarmy.com/2017/09/29/canucks-release-upshall-contemplate-rodin-and-juolevi/

According to the team they are not sure what to do with him. If you can t dominate in junior how can you play pro.

If I am the Knights I wouldn't press too much, if Juolevi is indecisive about returning to London that would most likely reflect in his play with some hesitation, and the Knights don't need this from a veteran leader on their club !

As much as I like Juolevi and wish well, either he come his heart in the right place or don't come at all !!

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
As for Jones' season debut, I hope he has his head screwed on properly, and is focused on scoring goals instead of spending time in the penalty box.
As for Juolevi, I'm assuming he won't be back in London, but it will be a bonus if he returns to bolster the D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad