London Knights 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was the most unexpected yes, but Konecny and Zacha were expected back according to the team.
any OHL player attending their 2nd NHL training camp isn't a guarantee to return. If the Sting had Konecny and Zacha in their plans last season it's nothing short of stupid team management. Sure they could have returned....but Parsons "could" return this season too.

To plan around 19yr olds returning(that's what they are regardless of what their birth certificate says) is just poor planning. The prime examples of losing players you should expect back are the players making the NHL in their draft year. Not 2nd year attendees. The Knights this season expected Bratt to be here because he was such a late NHL pick, 6th rounders "usually" don't crack an NHL lineup. Formenton sticking in Ottawa is nothing more than giving the kid a cup of coffee, he'll be back. Mete,Kuokkanen,Crawley,Juolevi, Parsons and others could have all returned this season, but you can't factor them all into "players lost". Chychrun was a 16th overall pick but to a weak team.

It all boils down to a watered down NHL product...and the team that picks you. Right now I wouldn't bank my season on any NHL pick in the 1st two rounds returning. The NHL product is just that poor currently.

Last edited:
If it wasn't for DiPietro the Knights would have at least 4 wins on the season. They've outplayed Windsor in all 3 games. Shows you the difference between our clubs. The Spits are a weak team with pretty sound top 4 D and the best goaltender in the league. The Knights have far more talent up front but really only have 2 legitimate OHL caliber D-men coupled with Jr B talent on the back end and average at best goaltending. The D and goaltending will win pretty much every time.

rolf smitty

May 20, 2013
If it wasn't for DiPietro the Knights would have at least 4 wins on the season. They've outplayed Windsor in all 3 games. Shows you the difference between our clubs. The Spits are a weak team with pretty sound top 4 D and the best goaltender in the league. The Knights have far more talent up front but really only have 2 legitimate OHL caliber D-men coupled with Jr B talent on the back end and average at best goaltending. The D and goaltending will win pretty much every time.
The Knights are not scoring , and that, more than anything, is a huge problem. In previous seasons, they could always make comebacks from 2 goal deficits, this year finds them unable to answer. They do not control possession as they once did.

The Knights are not scoring , and that, more than anything, is a huge problem. In previous seasons, they could always make comebacks from 2 goal deficits, this year finds them unable to answer. They do not control possession as they once did.
Over thinking every play. Last night they schooled the Spits but just couldn't get the job done. Windsor had 2 legit scoring chances and buried them both. I'm pushing for a full scale sell off and tank job for the #1 pick. Hell..other teams do it. Look where it got the Toronto Maple Leafs in 3 seasons. Nobody can honestly believe the Leafs didn't tank to get Matthews. If Quinton Byfield is as good as I'm hearing. Pull the plug now and play for last.

Reactions: TheCoach

rolf smitty

May 20, 2013
Over thinking every play. Last night they schooled the Spits but just couldn't get the job done. Windsor had 2 legit scoring chances and buried them both. I'm pushing for a full scale sell off and tank job for the #1 pick. Hell..other teams do it. Look where it got the Toronto Maple Leafs in 3 seasons. Nobody can honestly believe the Leafs didn't tank to get Matthews. If Quinton Byfield is as good as I'm hearing. Pull the plug now and play for last.
Looks like the cycle of junior hockey has finally caught up to the Knights. Rosters turn over and the team is left with youngsters and not enough talent to contend. In past years , London has come up with stars to replace those who graduated, but, not so this year.

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014

I agree the idea of tanking for Byfield would be my thinking the kid looks like a stud

GobigorGohome

Jan 31, 2017
Pt Maitland NS
I think the defense is getting better each game.
Shane Collins was good pickup .You can see his experience.
He plays a simple game of Defend with aggression and move pucks up ice quickly
That has helped Bouchard.
Regula is a pleasant surprise .Good skater,not physical but uses his reach to break up plays.
Colme ,Golden ,Fallowfield are getting adjusted to the fast pace.
I think Carbonera needs to dress the next game and sit Rollo.

Reactions: zman77

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I wouldnt full out tank.
I was impressed with Byfields game at the OHL Cup last year as un underager and he cemented his position with many hockey people at a couple recent tournies including one here in London where he was clearly the best kid on tbe ice.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
The Knights long run of success was accomplish without any first overall picks. If Quinton Byfield is as good as they say , with all the talent and size why wasn't he given special status ?

The Knights have become a big enterprise , it wouldn't be good from a business stand to drop to last place and pickup someone's services for only a couple of years. They can still have great success, and have been so far, with good players playing in front of full house every night just the same. IMHO

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I would almost do some lateral type of moves to shake things up. Like get rid of Jones and pick up a good young player and some picks, but also trade Rowe for a player like Raddysh, Foudy for an Import Defender. Get rid of Whittiker, Moskal and Carbs for picks and trade some picks for another D.
Who wants Jones - His own coach benches him half the time - Lucky to get a 10th round pick for him - Or Sudbury will give 3 2nds and a couple of players;)

Reactions: webegtodiffer

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
The Knights long run of success was accomplish without any first overall picks. If Quinton Byfield is as good as they say , with all the talent and size why wasn't he given special status ?

The Knights have become a big enterprise , it wouldn't be good from a business stand to drop to last place and pickup someone's services for only a couple of years. They can still have great success, and have been so far, with good players playing in front of full house every night just the same. IMHO

Exceptional status doesn't just get handed out, the player has to apply.

Reactions: webegtodiffer

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
I think a team with as many NHL drafted players as london will have to try hard to be in last place come March. If we trade our big three it would still be a challenge finish8ng outside the playoffs. See Saginaw last year they had only Stephens and Middleton and still where second from last after trading away Stephens. To end up last a team has to be truly special in how terrible the are. For london it would take a monumental effort but they are at least making a great push to finish last hopefully they keep it up!

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
I think a team with as many NHL drafted players as london will have to try hard to be in last place come March. If we trade our big three it would still be a challenge finish8ng outside the playoffs. See Saginaw last year they had only Stephens and Middleton and still where second from last after trading away Stephens. To end up last a team has to be truly special in how terrible the are. For london it would take a monumental effort but they are at least making a great push to finish last hopefully they keep it up!

Maybe a trade with Saginaw would shake up both teams. I have a feeling a few Saginaw players will be on the market in December such as: Cormier, Middleton, Coskey and Gilmour. Maybe Saginaw would do a trade now for a scoring forward for Coskey or Gilmour and a bunch of picks. Saginaw needs goals!!

RWML67

Aug 22, 2017
Byfield didn't get exceptional status because he didn't apply for it. Played with his age group too and didn't play up. He's as good as they say. Tremendous character too. Perfect player to build around.

He'd be doing fine if he were playing as an inderager in the OHL this season

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
How does a team try to tank any harder than what the Knights are doing now? They're already a last place team.
"Tank" defined as "continuing to perform poorly throughout the season". Is it really that difficult to understand?
Icing a weak team is really foreign territory for the Knights in the Hunter era. As I mentioned before, the other 19 teams would love to be in our shoes in terms of being competitive (usually) year after year.
Since you've endured more of these horrific seasons, will you explain how you cope? We haven't suffered the indignity of sanctions, but many of us are disappointed with this year's team.
Windsor fans -- ok with poking the bear.
Kitchener fans -- have not done so.
Interesting, and rather telling!

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
"Tank" defined as "continuing to perform poorly throughout the season". Is it really that difficult to understand?
Icing a weak team is really foreign territory for the Knights in the Hunter era. As I mentioned before, the other 19 teams would love to be in our shoes in terms of being competitive (usually) year after year.
Since you've endured more of these horrific seasons, will you explain how you cope? We haven't suffered the indignity of sanctions, but many of us are disappointed with this year's team.
Windsor fans -- ok with poking the bear.
Kitchener fans -- have not done so.
Interesting, and rather telling!

No problem it's very easy. Don't live vicariously through teenagers. Realize as a fan or supporter you play zero percent in how an organization performs. A fan in Sudbury for example is just as knowledgeable and passionate as a fan of a team with three memorial cups. In short don't take it personally. Be thankful you've been spoiled seeing some winning hockey & a benificary of a perfect storm in London.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
I recall Windsor going 0 for 4 years against London from like 2004-7. Doubt it stopped Windsor fans from spouting off.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
My traders

Pu
Jones
Miletic
Nelson
Coome
Fallowfield
Cottam
Turko
Johnson
Golden

put the for sale sign on the lawn and sell 'em all to the highest bidders

Glad to see I'm not the only one. But I think only the first 3 would have any value.

I would also sell Thomas because I really doubt he's back next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad