London Knights 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

the man22

Jun 11, 2014
Are you kidding me? I'll admit Vella wasn't great in the shootout (never has been), but I thought he played a great game for 60 minutes! You can't blame him for either goal. The 1st was a perfect pass to an open winger, and on the 2nd, he was trying to play the (again) wide open winger when his teammate deflected it into the short side. How can you possibly blame him for that goal? ....and to say he was horrible is just assinine IMO!

I'll admit I've never been a big Vella fan, but for gawd's sakes, give the kid a break! :shakehead

I am not kidding you. He was horrible. There is a reason the Knights have played what 4 games and he has played 1. If he was so good he would have stared more than 1. The book is out down waaaatyyy early. Just horrible.

the man22

Jun 11, 2014
Don't know where everyone is/was looking for the game...but it's on Rogers London 13 in HD...all games will be on Rogers 13 this season

Except Sudbury. My source is baffled to why in the day and age Subdury of all places can't show us a game.

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
Good win last night.... all that talk about how good/poor Martenet is and he gets his face run through the boards... I hope he is ok we need him healthy.

hopefully a week of practice will smooth out the chopiness. 2-1-1 is not a terrible start to the season and we might have a few more guys back by next weekend.

Good win last night.... all that talk about how good/poor Martenet is and he gets his face run through the boards... I hope he is ok we need him healthy.

hopefully a week of practice will smooth out the chopiness. 2-1-1 is not a terrible start to the season and we might have a few more guys back by next weekend.

The hit didn't look all that bad on the replay...hopefully Marty doesn't suffer too much ill effects from it. I think he caught the dasher on the way down. The PP needs some work that's for sure...but it's early. Still say Crawley should be the trigger point man

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Lol listen rookie, you obviously know nothing of the history between PP and I. There's no kissing up that's for sure. And if you look carefully I'm actually applauding myself for starting the 'get Martenet out of town' train....oh wait, I said I wouldn't do that lol.

I didnt start the Martenet outta town train but a month or longer ago I was on the " ya dont just default to move Yak" :)
And gave reasons why others could/should be moved. When the trade Yak train was full ( and I get why some think that way. I just dont)
Heck, I didnt think Martinet would be back, surprisingly being signed and all.

Hopefully its done soon. Its gotta suck for all them, knowing you may sit out a game but are definitely a capable OHL player.
Im sure they are looking to do this quickly for the sake of the players but ya need a buyer.

Well see.

Last edited:

KnightWatch

Sep 7, 2011
I am not kidding you. He was horrible. There is a reason the Knights have played what 4 games and he has played 1. If he was so good he would have stared more than 1. The book is out down waaaatyyy early. Just horrible.

Yes, I know there is a reason he has only played 1 game....I'm not disputing that, but when the kid finally has a decent game in net (prior to the shootout at least), can we not cut him some slack and give him a pat on the back instead of continually raking him over the coals?!!

Remember, these are still kids we're talking about here. He played all of last season thinking he was going to be, at the very least, Parson's backup this season....and then the Knights go and sign Johnson....Vella plays poorly and is relegated to 3rd string again! Yes, I know he didn't play well enough to solidify the backup role....heck I'm pretty sure he knows it himself, and I'm sure he feels sick to his stomach every time he lets in a bad goal, but do we really need to amplify things by talking about how "brutal" he....or Martenet...or whoever is. Be it 18, 19, 20 years old....whatever, they are all still kids. Is it too much to ask to maybe give them the occasional words of encouragement when they have a decent game instead of continually ripping them to shreds?!!!

For a group of people who call themselves fans.....I guess I would expect a little more!

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
The hit didn't look all that bad on the replay...hopefully Marty doesn't suffer too much ill effects from it. I think he caught the dasher on the way down. The PP needs some work that's for sure...but it's early. Still say Crawley should be the trigger point man

The PP needs Juolevi and Tkachuk. Their passing ability is what this powerplay needs. All of our other players lack the creativity to run a good powerplay.

The PP needs Juolevi and Tkachuk. Their passing ability is what this powerplay needs. All of our other players lack the creativity to run a good powerplay.

Agreed...but for the time being put a true trigger man at the point. Mattinen can't hit the net with consistency..and Bouchard's shot isn't hard enough. Crawley is accurate..and he has about the hardest slap shot on the team.

Last edited:

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Power Play needs tweaking............for sure.
Saying that, the Knights have run into some pretty good goal-tending early in the season.
Also, teams are very jacked up to be playing the defending Mem Cup Champs.
It will all balance out in the next few weeks.
Lots of skill for PP possibilties:
Cliff Pu, JJ, Janne, Robbie Thomas, OMac, Yak, Formenton Foudy
Mete, Golden, Bouchard Mattinen
Not to mention Max Jones and Olli when they return to London.
Dale was trying all kinds of line combinations to see what would click.
In some ways, it's a blessing that so many key guys are a NHL Training Camps.
Billy Moskal is looking more comfortable out there.
Things will settle out in the next few weeks.
Yak, Miletic and Formenton had very good games.
Hope Martinet is doing well............Barrie was a bit nasty last night.
This is a very good team.

Yes, I know there is a reason he has only played 1 game....I'm not disputing that, but when the kid finally has a decent game in net (prior to the shootout at least), can we not cut him some slack and give him a pat on the back instead of continually raking him over the coals?!!

Remember, these are still kids we're talking about here. He played all of last season thinking he was going to be, at the very least, Parson's backup this season....and then the Knights go and sign Johnson....Vella plays poorly and is relegated to 3rd string again! Yes, I know he didn't play well enough to solidify the backup role....heck I'm pretty sure he knows it himself, and I'm sure he feels sick to his stomach every time he lets in a bad goal, but do we really need to amplify things by talking about how "brutal" he....or Martenet...or whoever is. Be it 18, 19, 20 years old....whatever, they are all still kids. Is it too much to ask to maybe give them the occasional words of encouragement when they have a decent game instead of continually ripping them to shreds?!!!

For a group of people who call themselves fans.....I guess I would expect a little more!

I do agree to an extent...but these "kids" have been told about their inconsistencies from people with more pull than fans in the seats. It's not like we're stating things that haven't been said over the course of their careers. I don't look at it as brow busting..I see it as stating the obvious. When players have good games everyone is quick to give kudos..but when they play poorly or make the same mistakes consistently and someone points it out..they are vilified for doing so. It can come across as harsh..but I think in the end most fans state the things they do because they know at this level of play player's are expected to produce at a certain level and when they don't..people are gonna say something. Nothing is a given at this level.

Saying that, the Knights have run into some pretty good goal-tending early in the season.
Tymkin and Nelson seem to be getting comfortable too

KnightWatch

Sep 7, 2011
I do agree to an extent...but these "kids" have been told about their inconsistencies from people with more pull than fans in the seats. It's not like we're stating things that haven't been said over the course of their careers. I don't look at it as brow busting..I see it as stating the obvious. When players have good games everyone is quick to give kudos..but when they play poorly or make the same mistakes consistently and someone points it out..they are vilified for doing so. It can come across as harsh..but I think in the end most fans state the things they do because they know at this level of play player's are expected to produce at a certain level.

The problem is, when you're still at an impressionable age and all you ever hear about is what you've done wrong or how much you "suck"....you start to believe it and become unable to change it....it's the power of suggestion. I just think it would be nice if we, as so-called fans, support them with the occasional pat on the back and words of encouragement. Yes, I'm sure they are well aware of what they need to work on, but a little positivity can go a long way in shaping these kids' futures.

In Vella's last two starts, he allowed but two goals, neither of which he should be faulted for IMO, yet, instead of being praised, he still gets crucified for having "horrible" mechanics!

I certainly hope the coaching staff is more encouraging than this group, (and I'm sure they are) otherwise I would advise him to simply go home and await a trade.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa

I wholeheartedly agree !! - After all it is a developmental league, if they were pros they would be playing pros, we are not even pro fans ourselves and yet criticizing as if we the only ones that knows best.

Yes I am terrible too for putting out controversial subjects, but at least it's always put up in way for discussion, it's never who's right or wrong it's about hockey talks and what we think it'd may or may not work.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa

I agree with your post as well !!

This Billy Moskal is building a positive case for himself, I sure wasn't impressed with him at camps but now that games are meaningful he plays them like he means it too.

Last edited:
The problem is, when you're still at an impressionable age and all you ever hear about is what you've done wrong or how much you "suck"....you start to believe it and become unable to change it....it's the power of suggestion. I just think it would be nice if we, as so-called fans, support them with the occasional pat on the back and words of encouragement. Yes, I'm sure they are well aware of what they need to work on, but a little positivity can go a long way in shaping these kids' futures.

In Vella's last two starts, he allowed but two goals, neither of which he should be faulted for IMO, yet, instead of being praised, he still gets crucified for having "horrible" mechanics!

I certainly hope the coaching staff is more encouraging than this group, (and I'm sure they are) otherwise I would advise him to simply go home and await a trade.

I'm a firm believer that if player's or anyone are/is enamored with chat room fodder their issues aren't going to be remedied or heightened by anything anyone says. I've gone as far as to call a player's play brutal at times...but I've definitely never said a player outright "sucks" as you put it. Although I don't believe your post was directed at me.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
It's a good thing Bouchard doesn't have to pay for his sticks...I think he's broken a stick in each of the 4 games.
I sure won't miss the Barrie commentator = poster boy for sloth. :popcorn:

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Knights are very lucky to have Janne Kuokkanen on their team this season.
I'd like to see how the Finns train their players...............for a population of 3 million or so,
Finland produces a high number of quality players like Janne..............impressive!!
He's a well rounded player with very good speed, vision and puck handling.
Janne has a very good feel for the game...............IQ is high.
He'll get better and better as he adjusts to Canada and his new team.
I'm a big fan too!!

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I agree with your post as well !!

This Billy Moskal is building a positive case for himself, I sure wasn't impressed with him at camps but now that games are meaningful he plays them like he means it too.

Trust me Moskal going to be a good one, he can play both ends of the ice, and smart player..

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
How's Kuokkanen been? He's one of my favorite Finnish prospects.

He's a treat to watch, fitting in nicely. Smooth skater, excellent hands, and will only get better. He will get plenty of ice time, including major powerplay minutes.
His "billet-mom" tells me that he's adjusting well now that he's becoming familiar with his teammates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad