London Knights 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
All as predicted, Yak sitting, Blacker moving up on wing and it's very much looking as if Vella is being placed on display for a big sell !!

Why are so many in such a hurry to dump Vella? Who else will play goal in case of injury or when Parsons likely is gone to the WJHC for almost a month? Johnson can't play them all, and I don't know who else they have. I recall McGrail backing up a game or 2 last year, I think he may be the Nats b/u, at least until Vella goes there. Trading Vella would be a mistake unless someone else is acquired.

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
I "beg to differ". Last season early on, when he was "getting ice". He was putting the points up and playing physical, he was an impact player. for whatever reason that he became a "pine rider" at the end and didn't even play for the whole last part of season who knows what the reasoning was. I heard he had asked out of London last season. I don't blame him. I'm a Gennies fan and I would have taken him.

2 in 23
3 in 30
5 in 39

That's why he rode the pine. Not coaching's fault.

He was getting ice during WJC.

Thomas got very similar ice and produced better.

Sherwood clearly has the talent but lacked the mettle to push Berisha/Piccinich for ice despite a higher ceiling than both.

Berisha/JJ put in a lot more heart and compete and results reflected that.

jjjshab

Jul 7, 2015
I was looking forward to seeing Sherwood rebound this season. A lot of you guys seem elated with the trade and it's certainly justified given his performance as the year went on. But remember this guy came from playing what, triple A hockey? The demands of a major junior schedule probably wore him down. Nonetheless I hope he does well in Flint

the man22

Jun 11, 2014
Why are so many in such a hurry to dump Vella? Who else will play goal in case of injury or when Parsons likely is gone to the WJHC for almost a month? Johnson can't play them all, and I don't know who else they have. I recall McGrail backing up a game or 2 last year, I think he may be the Nats b/u, at least until Vella goes there. Trading Vella would be a mistake unless someone else is acquired.

Kooy they signed out of camp.

Vella was horrible tonight. Just bad. That second goal was brutal. When are we going to teach goalies to stand up again. It would have hit him in the pad and the Knights would have won.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Mattie T.............1st Goal is the Winner

Calgary beats Vancouver 2-1 in Pre-Season Game
Matthew Tkachuk scored the game-winner at 14:34 of the second, knocking in a Brouwer rebound to
break a 1-1 tie. It was the first pre-season goal for the sixth-overall pick from June.
"I really wanted to get the first one out of the way and I was really, really happy," said the 18-year-old,
who in two games has looked good on a line with Bennett and Brouwer.
"(Brouwer) certainly helps and Bennie, they've got a little chemistry, but Matthew, he fits right in.
He's always around the net so he's always picking up loose change," said Flames coach Glen Gulutzan.
Tyler Parsons also played for Calgary..........Stopped 7/7 Shots.
http://www.tsn.ca/brouwer-tkachuk-lift-flames-over-canucks-1.577412

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
My view of the game I thought Martenant was off a bit and so was Crawley. I don't know if it was a speed adjustment from coming back but they didn't look right. If you are on the power play Mattinen and you blast the puck from a bad angle and you don't hit the net you cost the team valuable power play time. I thought we deserved better as the boys just have to learn to finish better. I still believe in Blacker and Bouchard moving up the pecking order to # 2 minutes when Olli gets back. I think we need to move Chris as the overager to get the extra minutes to Blacker,Golden and Mattinen . I think they missed Yak's zing out there tonight.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
I was looking forward to seeing Sherwood rebound this season. A lot of you guys seem elated with the trade and it's certainly justified given his performance as the year went on. But remember this guy came from playing what, triple A hockey? The demands of a major junior schedule probably wore him down. Nonetheless I hope he does well in Flint

I as well was looking forward to seeing if he could be the player that started the season last year. Not sure elation to see Sherwood go, but maybe a realization some will have to go and then feeling positive about what he was able to bring back in the trade.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa

I really can't disagree with you. Personally I like Vella and always went to bat for him in the past, I just go with the floe as it's seem the popular move to do from our recent posters. I think Parson will be back by this coming mid week or certainly by the week's end. Goaltender are the late bloomers in OHL development, right now Vella is just starting to come into his own, I agree let's give him few more kicks at the net and see what will happen. He actually played well on his last two pre-season outings and last night.

KnightWatch

Sep 7, 2011

Vella was horrible tonight. Just bad. That second goal was brutal. When are we going to teach goalies to stand up again. It would have hit him in the pad and the Knights would have won.

Are you kidding me? I'll admit Vella wasn't great in the shootout (never has been), but I thought he played a great game for 60 minutes! You can't blame him for either goal. The 1st was a perfect pass to an open winger, and on the 2nd, he was trying to play the (again) wide open winger when his teammate deflected it into the short side. How can you possibly blame him for that goal? ....and to say he was horrible is just assinine IMO!

I'll admit I've never been a big Vella fan, but for gawd's sakes, give the kid a break! :shakehead

Vella made some nice stops but he didn't look good at all last night in my opinion. Poor rebound control, on his knees well before the shot in most instances. Deep in his net. This is from someone who really analyzes the net. He made some really nice saves...and played with some meddle but I think He'll get ripped apart by good shooters. His days are numbered...actually we should start counting down the minutes until he's moved. He's asked...the team will oblige. He has enough talent to be getting more reps...and he isn't gonna get them here. He can and will get better...just not here. So

Martenet was BRUTAL. Ship him anywhere...please.

Crawley's shot is twice of what Mattinen has...he should be the PP trigger man.

That's all I got

Last edited:

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa

Easy now, Vella or Parson or any other OHL goalies would have had trouble stopping that deflected puck, by his own defense, that flew by him like an out of control butterfly. He was covering the bottom of the net as there were a Soo player all alone in front where the puck was heading to before the deflection happened.

Easy now, Vella or Parson or any other OHL goalies would have had trouble stopping that deflected puck, by his own defense, that flew by him like an out of control butterfly. He was covering the bottom of the net as there were a Soo player all alone in front where the puck was heading to before the deflection happened.

It wasn't that goal that lost us the game or the reason...it was the kid in the other net.

Last edited:

KnightWatch

Sep 7, 2011
Vella made some nice stops but he didn't look good at all last night in my opinion. Poor rebound control, on his knees well before the shot in most instances. Deep in his net. This is from someone who really analyzes the net. He made some really nice saves...and played with some meddle but I think He'll get ripped apart by good shooters. His days are numbered...actually we should start counting down the minutes until he's moved. He's asked...the team will oblige. He has enough talent to be getting more reps...and he isn't gonna get them here. He can and will get better...just not here. So

That's all I got

:shakehead

Vella just can't seem to buy any respect....

Martenet was still our 2nd (maybe 3rd, Bouchard played well) best option on D last night....which is why he dressed over Yak. I suspect Yak will probably get a chance to play tonight, but I'd be willing to bet it's over one of the other forwards, not Marty.

Also, I'm thinking maybe the Knights should consider converting Crawley to a forward...had some nice moves in the offensive zone, (and yes, good shot from the point), but defensively, he just doesn't seem to be making any progress to me.

:shakehead

Vella just can't seem to buy any respect....

I thought my post DID give him some respect. I just pointed out what he needs to work on to succeed. He's got the goods...now to build on it. It's no secret he wants out...and he will get his wish.

Also, I'm thinking maybe the Knights should consider converting Crawley to a forward...had some nice moves in the offensive zone, (and yes, good shot from the point), but defensively, he just doesn't seem to be making any progress to me.
Yet Martenet is your #2 right now?....wow

I wish I could give everyone goaltender's eyes for one game.

Last edited:

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
I don't know why all the hatred in respect to Martenet's plays, someone in the Knights organization and NHL Dallas Stars thinks enough of him to signing him to contracts. Perhaps what "WE" as "armchair" GMs & Coaches are not pointing out what the real Coaches and GM's are pointing to him (Martenet) what is it they want him to work on in order to advance his hockey development. Just perhaps !! He's doing what he is asked of by the ones who really maters the most to him.

I don't know why all the hatred in respect to Martenet's plays, someone in the Knights organization and NHL Dallas Stars thinks enough of him to signing him to contracts. Perhaps what "WE" as "armchair" GMs & Coaches are not pointing out what the real Coaches and GM's are pointing to him (Martenet) what is it they want him to work on in order to advance his hockey development. Just perhaps !! He's doing what he is asked of by the ones who really maters the most to him.

There's also a number of reasons why you are sent back to Junior hockey as a 20yr old when you've already signed an ELC. Being good at what you do isn't one of them. It's not "hatred" as you put it...it's pointing out what is keeping him from making the next step. I'm sure he's heard it from people not in an armchair too. I saw on at least 6 or 7 occasions last night where he was looking around after the play wondering where he should have been. That's not good as an OA at any position.

KnightWatch

Sep 7, 2011
Yet Martenet is your #2 right now?....wow

I wish I could give everyone goaltender's eyes for one game.

As I've said, I'm well aware of Martenet's weaknesses, I just choose not to harp on them like other people. Do I think he's still a better option that Mattinen, Crawley, Blacker and Golden (on defense), yes. The defensive weaknesses of these four (at this point in the season, at least) surpass Martenet's as far as I'm concerned. I like what I've been seeing from Bouchard the last few games, so I would probably rank Marty behind him at this point (and Juolevi when he returns), but I'd still rank him at #4....and I would think the Knights' brass would agree with me....which is why he dressed over Yak last night and will likely dress again tonight.

As I've said, I'm well aware of Martenet's weaknesses, I just choose not to harp on them like other people. Do I think he's still a better option that Mattinen, Crawley, Blacker and Golden (on defense), yes. The defensive weaknesses of these four (at this point in the season, at least) surpass Martenet's as far as I'm concerned. I like what I've been seeing from Bouchard the last few games, so I would probably rank Marty behind him at this point (and Juolevi when he returns), but I'd still rank him at #4....and I would think the Knights' brass would agree with me....which is why he dressed over Yak last night and will likely dress again tonight.
I guess I just expect more from a 20yr old veteran. How foolish of me.

Maxxim1

Oct 17, 2005
If they were showcasing Martenet for a trade last night he sure didn't help the cause.
If the Knight's could get even one second round pick for him they should grab it.
No Big Macs tonight in Barrie.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
If they were showcasing Martenet for a trade last night he sure didn't help the cause.
If the Knight's could get even one second round pick for him they should grab it.
No Big Macs tonight in Barrie.

Weird !! - Martenet was not on the ice for either goals against last nights despite all the minutes he played. They've only allowed two goals in regulation time (one deflected in), hardly a defensive break down by the Knights defensive corps. Forgive me for being so blind but I can not see what or where the problem(s) is or are.

Weird !! - Martenet was not on the ice for either goals against last nights despite all the minutes he played. They've only allowed two goals in regulation time (one deflected in), hardly a defensive break down by the Knights defensive corps. Forgive me for being so blind but I can not see what or where the problem(s) is or are.

You musta missed the 1st goal where he made an unnecessary rush...fell down in the corner...left a forward back to cover the line which caused an odd man rush which lead to the goal to make it 1-1. It's those little things that are glaring to me when I watch his game. Things an OA D-man shouldn't do. Things that cost you goals and games. There were more...but that stood out to me the most. Again...just not things I expect to see from an OA.

Last edited:

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
You musta missed the 1st goal where he made an unnecessary rush...fell down in the corner...left a forward back to cover the line which caused an odd man rush which lead to the goal to make it 1-1. It's those little things that are glaring to me when I watch his game. Things an OA D-man shouldn't do. Things that cost you goals and games. There were more...but that stood out to me the most. Again...just not things I expect to see from an OA.

Was that him ? - I did see that yes, that's why I didn't see his number on the ice on the play in the defensive zone, he was still coming back way out of the offensive zone. I did see that, sorry, didn't realized it was his number down at the far end. It was a bad play alright, I guess I am partially blind, I'll take my previous comment back.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
I'm not a 'Goalie Expert' but give props when props are deserved.
Vella is a big guy.............6' 4" or so.
He's improved immensely from last year..............I was pleasantly surprised.
imho..............very good game.
The 2nd goal was a deflection from Crawley..............Vella was anticipating the pass......and yes if he was
playing 'out of his net' more he probably would've stopped that deflected pass.
Dale was playing 5 D-Men.
Mete-Crawley-Bouchard-Martinet-Mattinen...............Golden and Blacker sat.
Mete was Mete.........Star!
Crawley has improved his Stick-Handling and Vision...............confidence is there.
Bouchard has improved his 'urgency and choices.'
I'd still like to see him cut his stick down a bit for more control of his passes.
I was surprised Dale played Bouchard a lot on the 3 on 3 OT. He was covering space very well.
Martinet had a 'so-so game.'
He made a rush with the puck from his own end. It was the right decision.
What went wrong?
After he entered the Soo's D-Zone he made a bad decision. At the time there seemed to
be no support for him. Martinet decided to carry the puck into the Soo's right hand corner. He lost
possession of the puck. The Soo stole the puck from him and scored on the subsequent rush.
Overall, Martinet can play a lot better................he needs to do so..............I expect he will.
Mattinen was the '5th Wheel.'
He played well for the amount of ice time he was given last night.
The Coaching Staff see their players every day. They can see their weaknesses and strengths up close.
Character is a big factor combined with skill.
The Soo Goalie is good..............he robbed the boys a few times.
It could've easily been 5-2 London.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
What was your guys take on the Katchouk goal that was missed by the video judge? I can't say I've ever seen such an obvious goal slip by like that. My Hounds won, so no animosity, I'm just curious if there have been problems like that in the past. Needless to say, that kind of call would cause utter chaos in a playoff game.

Sir Fischhaber,

Most of the London posters, including myself, were in attendance and did not have the benefit of watching the replay. The play happened so quickly that I couldn't tell if it hit the post or went in. Judging by Katchouk's initial reaction (e.g. nodded his head to teammates that it was a good goal, skated by the bench to tap gloves before it even went to review), I thought that the instant replay would rule in his favour (note: 'favour', not 'favor'). ;)
I still have not seen the replay. So, this pyrrhonian skeptic will have to postpone judgement (or judgment)!

Knights77

Oct 5, 2012
Bud Gardens

That's all I got

It must be a new season. PP is singing my Martenet tune and I'm agreeing with everything he said in this post. Lol. Vella has never been fundamentally sound and is one of the few tenders that can take a big body (anyone realize he is 6'4), and make himself small in net.

Edit: just read more post, I guess some people know how big Vella is. He should 'play bigger' for those who understand goaltending.
As far as those debating Martenet....he isn't awful, where as he is going to lose us games....I don't think. It's just we are a top ranked team and can expect better. He doesn't use his size. That's like Schremp never shooting. Use your assets! And for those not looking ahead to the year we are going to need big physical bodies to compete with Windsor. And again for those not paying attention the road to the cup goes through Windsor not once but probably twice. Can't ignore it.
There is and will be better options for our #3 Dman. Juolevi and Mete as 1/2 and get Desrocher in as 3. I realize that you'd still have an OA problem but that's a problem I'd like to have.
Remember, good goaltending covers up lots of mistakes by dmen and when Parsons comes back, Martenet will look like a saint to some....but just wait when Windsor slaps us around on the ice and the scoreboard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad