London Knights 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
So ...I go online and find a car dealership is auctioning a 2007 Honda Accord LX. Blue, 50,000 km. Guaranteed pre-owned by a recently retired school teacher and driven to work and home each day for 8 years.

I bid $3500 and win the auction. My online payment clears -- the dealership has my money. I love Hondas and am thrilled. Maybe I collect Hondas (takes all kinds).

I contact the dealership to arrange pickup/delivery. They don't reply. Weeks pass and finally they tell me that the car I purchased online is in the Honda Museum now but I'll get it really soon. I warn them to give me what I bought ASAP or I'll sue them.

More weeks pass and someone from the dealership emails me to say the car I bought isn't in the Honda Museum at all and they have it ready for me to pickup.

I travel to the dealership and discover a green 2006 Honda Accord EX with 150,000 km on it. I say, "WTF? I didn't buy this! And who put on the bumper sticker that says, "Grandma's Do it Best"?

The dealer smiles and says, "This is the car you bought. Take it or well give you back your $3500, your choice. But whichever option you choose, you must sign this confidentiality agreement and never disclose what occurred."

Would you take back your money? Accept the car you didn't buy? Sign a confidentiality agreement?

Or would you tell them to stick it and pursue an alternative remedy?

I know what I'd do.

I

You have a slight little error in your story.

You got an identical same color brand new Honda Accord LX. they had to lift the car and ran up the odometer to the 50 000 clicks, put a few uncharacteristic scratches that visibly you know it's hand made and left the sale tag on the windshield.

It's the same at the end. You don't like what they did, you got mad as h..L they tried to put a fast one on you and you want them to pay for all this aggravation and making sure no dealer will try the same again to fellow car collectors like yourself. That about some it up , it's fine story to be continued.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
It's really not about the money - although the Knights would like it to cost as little as possible. They gross 9000x20=$180000 in gate receipts alone each game. Not to mention concessions and merchandise (like game worn jerseys). It's just about making the situation go away quietly.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
It's about half $650×2×25 years

But regardless it was a quick example of something that could have been done.. and it's really just the optics of the whole thing.

Fair enough.

I used a man's life expectancy for "lifetime" and you used "life" in terms of a jail sentence.

Regardless, I don't know why this should be swept under the rug.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Fair enough.

I used a man's life expectancy for "lifetime" and you used "life" in terms of a jail sentence.

Regardless, I don't know why this should be swept under the rug.

Only reason why it should be swept under the rug was identified in one of the articles as a "superfan" and in a previous article unrelated to this he was quoted as saying "it's not about the money" in relation to the hobby. In fairness we don't know whose words are identifying him as "superfan" , but I would say a "superfan" who is "not in it for the money" would have worked out a deal to keep this quiet.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Only reason why it should be swept under the rug was identified in one of the articles as a "superfan" and in a previous article unrelated to this he was quoted as saying "it's not about the money" in relation to the hobby. In fairness we don't know whose words are identifying him as "superfan" , but I would say a "superfan" who is "not in it for the money" would have worked out a deal to keep this quiet.

So just because you are a superfan, you should accept it when your team tries to cheat you out of 3500? Then after lying to you and getting caught (allegedly), you should be OK with them saying OK you win, here's your jersey, you caught us. Though if you want it, you'll have to sign this agreement absolving us from any wrongdoing? That's absurd, superfan or not.

What's to stop the Knights from allegedly doing this again if there is no punishment or acknowledgment of fault to the public? If this happened here, what's to say it hasn't happened before? If this were just some fan with no knowledge of how this game-worn process works - perhaps someone who bought a jersey with the money going to charity - it's OK that he gets cheated?

I think if this dispute was over something some of you deem more important that a teenagers game worn jersey, you might have a different opinion.

Thing is, this isn't about the jersey any more. This is about making a point that customer fraud and then trying to cover it up is not OK, no matter what the product or service.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Today I asked Matt Tkachuk if his brother would be joining the Knights next season, and he was rather adamant that Brady has opted for U.S. college hockey. Not what I wanted to hear, but I just thought I'd pass on the info...

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Knights

Today I asked Matt Tkachuk if his brother would be joining the Knights next season, and he was rather adamant that Brady has opted for U.S. college hockey. Not what I wanted to hear, but I just thought I'd pass on the info...

While I didn't think the younger Tkachuk would be in London this coming season I still feel he will be there in 2017/18 which is his draft season he is late by one day.The Tkachuks are USA Hockey centric,thus when his obligations are done with US Development team this coming year,think he will then become a Knight.His game is far too abrasive for college hockey,though the OHL is getting to be the same,i digress,fear not Nelli he will be a Knight just not this year.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London

More importantly did he confirm he is coming back regardless of what Calgary says?

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
So just because you are a superfan, you should accept it when your team tries to cheat you out of 3500? Then after lying to you and getting caught (allegedly), you should be OK with them saying OK you win, here's your jersey, you caught us. Though if you want it, you'll have to sign this agreement absolving us from any wrongdoing? That's absurd, superfan or not.

What's to stop the Knights from allegedly doing this again if there is no punishment or acknowledgment of fault to the public? If this happened here, what's to say it hasn't happened before? If this were just some fan with no knowledge of how this game-worn process works - perhaps someone who bought a jersey with the money going to charity - it's OK that he gets cheated?.

No... because you are a superfan I would expect some agreement to be reached before it gets to where it is now. Unfortunately we don't know the ins and outs of the complete discussion, regardless if we know this person or not.. the only ones who know the scope of the transaction and the discussions that ensued are the parties involved.

Again, nowhere am I claiming the Knights are innocent in this. The situation is disappointing for both sides.. the only one this benefits is the lawyer for the plaintiff.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
So just because you are a superfan, you should accept it when your team tries to cheat you out of 3500? Then after lying to you and getting caught (allegedly), you should be OK with them saying OK you win, here's your jersey, you caught us. Though if you want it, you'll have to sign this agreement absolving us from any wrongdoing?

I wouldn't put much value on the disclosure statement. Generally if anyone mentions a lawyer or a lawsuit to a company they immediately demand this. Without it they potentially satisfy the customer yet the customer can then in turn sue them after? So the customer gets what they want plus can sue them for more. Very standard practice especially down south in the land of the lawsuit. A lot of major corporations if you mention lawyer or sue they immediately tell you all verbal communication is over and that you should have your lawyer contact them. I like it personally people think threats are ok......there not. "I'm going to sue you" is a threat. In this case he is good to go as he seems to have a less than happy lawyer ready to go for a very friendly fee I imagine!

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
Exactly Otto. Just like my divorces . The only SOB's that made any money were the *****es and the lawyers. I don't know what put a burr up Gene's ass but whatever they can milk they will try to do it. I think there are few people lower then lawyers. Maybe slime ball terrorists and the white Anglo Saxon wannabee's would be lower but not by much in my opinion.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Exactly Otto. Just like my divorces . The only SOB's that made any money were the *****es and the lawyers. I don't know what put a burr up Gene's ass but whatever they can milk they will try to do it. I think there are few people lower then lawyers. Maybe slime ball terrorists and the white Anglo Saxon wannabee's would be lower but not by much in my opinion.

Your comment should be deleted as an individual in the legal community I take extreme offense to that comment. Just because you didn't have a good experience you paint lawyers and those in the legal community with that same brush.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I wouldn't put much value on the disclosure statement. Generally if anyone mentions a lawyer or a lawsuit to a company they immediately demand this. Without it they potentially satisfy the customer yet the customer can then in turn sue them after? So the customer gets what they want plus can sue them for more. Very standard practice especially down south in the land of the lawsuit. A lot of major corporations if you mention lawyer or sue they immediately tell you all verbal communication is over and that you should have your lawyer contact them. I like it personally people think threats are ok......there not. "I'm going to sue you" is a threat. In this case he is good to go as he seems to have a less than happy lawyer ready to go for a very friendly fee I imagine!

No, a company might require a release when they are settling a litigious matter. Releases don't always involve confidentiality agreements. And in any event, what benefit was he receiving in exchange for the release he was being asked to sign? The jersey he had already purchased? Were they offering to provide anything additional, such as pay the legal fees he had to incur to receive the jersey?

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London

To provide more insight on this, talking to his Matthew Tkachuk's billet, "Brady is committed to BC, and there is no way he is coming before he is drafted. He will decide is if and when he signs with his NHL team. Brady is more of a social kid than Matthew and wants to follow his dad's footsteps." said the billet. Also added that, "I will take the biggest bet on that, and if he does end up coming it will be a one and done like Broadhurst".

To provide more insight on the Matthew Tkachuk situation. Billet said, "Calgary said if he doesn't make the top 6, he won't be on the team this year. And Matt won't be torn if he doesn't make the team."

Roslovic Situatuon: "I expect him to be coming to London, his mom said he is coming and apparently moms know everything," said the billet.

Last edited:

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
No, a company might require a release when they are settling a litigious matter. Releases don't always involve confidentiality agreements. And in any event, what benefit was he receiving in exchange for the release he was being asked to sign? The jersey he had already purchased? Were they offering to provide anything additional, such as pay the legal fees he had to incur to receive the jersey?

I wasn't going to get into it but now I better. Lol, first appreciate I am not a collector however I don't think that impacts my view. I get confused at times with people and how they identify "big" or "huge" issues. I also get amused quite frankly when it comes to them placing damages on their inconvenience. But here is what truly would have made me satisfied if I was this individual: Get me a true game worn jersey or give me a complete refund. Then have the person within the Knights Organization responsible for these sales call me and tell me what happened and what they had done to ensure it never happens again. If I felt there response to the situation was appropriate to my feeling of importance about the issue I am good all day long. Sorry to say that but in my view the guy is being a bit difficult. I mean this could have been the actions of a high school kid "high on life" in the back thinking this will be funny? Or a disgruntled employee getting let go who says "this is going to stir some crap up". If they did overhaul the department, ensure stricter standards in place to avoid reoccurrence why does this individual "need something"? Appreciate your clarification between a release and a disclosure but if you threaten to sue a company this is a standard expected request from a company. It has nothing to due with an addmission of guilt. Sorry to run on.....

Last edited:

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

What's to stop the Knights from allegedly doing this again if there is no punishment or acknowledgment of fault to the public? If this happened here, what's to say it hasn't happened before? If this were just some fan with no knowledge of how this game-worn process works - perhaps someone who bought a jersey with the money going to charity - it's OK that he gets cheated?

I think if this dispute was over something some of you deem more important that a teenagers game worn jersey, you might have a different opinion.

Thing is, this isn't about the jersey any more. This is about making a point that customer fraud and then trying to cover it up is not OK, no matter what the product or service.

Totally agree.

And props to him for originally not selling out, signing the shut your mouth deal. As I said before that woilda been the easy way out.

I also agree with asking for big sum of cash. Thatswhat you do in a lawsuit of this nature for a couple reasons.
It gets the spotlight on the "alleged" fraud, and hopefully acts as a deterent to othersfrom doing the same.

Those saying take the offer n shut up because your a fan... Just not the way I was raised.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
To provide more insight on the Matthew Tkachuk situation. Billet said, "Calgary said if he doesn't make the top 6, he won't be on the team this year. And Matt won't be torn if he doesn't make the team."

Roslovic Situatuon: "I expect him to be coming to London, his mom said he is coming and apparently moms know everything," said the billet.

I like it once we get past "sweater gate" we should be looking good..... Any chance you can call Shanahan and explain how Marner is due for a growth spurt but it's only going to happen in London because of our more pleasant environmental situation?

Get on that will ya.......

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
It's about half $650×2×25 years

But regardless it was a quick example of something that could have been done.. and it's really just the optics of the whole thing.

That season tic price goes up almost every year. In 10 years itll be 800 plus

Last edited:

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Those saying take the offer n shut up because your a fan... Just not the way I was raised.

You take the shut up offer once you feel you have been compensated appropriately and that the club has put into place necessary measures to make sure that it doesn't happen again. That has nothing to do with being a fan or not but simply a reasonable person looking for a reasonable solution to the situation. You all have judged and sentenced everyone without hearing from the accused "what happened" As strictly an example without any suggestion that it is real:

If they told you that an employee who was being layed off took it upon themselves to act out and potentially attempt to damage the brand name of the London Knights on the way out the door, would that change your view? Would you sign the Shut Up deal knowing that the employee is no longer there and that you got the Jersey you had bid on? No fine assume someone is always out to screw you and just identify the problem and scream and yell as loud as you can rather than calm down and work on a solution to the problem? Let's not let the company try and resolve the problem......

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
You take the shut up offer once you feel you have been compensated appropriately and that the club has put into place necessary measures to make sure that it doesn't happen again. That has nothing to do with being a fan or not but simply a reasonable person looking for a reasonable solution to the situation. You all have judged and sentenced everyone without hearing from the accused "what happened" As strictly an example without any suggestion that it is real:

If they told you that an employee who was being layed off took it upon themselves to act out and potentially attempt to damage the brand name of the London Knights on the way out the door, would that change your view? Would you sign the Shut Up deal knowing that the employee is no longer there and that you got the Jersey you had bid on? No fine assume someone is always out to screw you and just identify the problem and scream and yell as loud as you can rather than calm down and work on a solution to the problem?

Technically, the first version of the story came from the Knights, because after there were a couple of tweets about the issue, Whiffen gave that interview to the LFP...which, in hindsight, seems to have intentionally tried to paint an inaccurate picture of what occurred...he made it sound like the guy was just mad he didn't get a Mem Cup jersey, and didn't let on that the accusation was that the jersey provided to him wasn't game worn.

What employee are you referring to? The merchandise manager who was terminated? I thought he was terminated in late June, about a month before the jersey provided to this guy materialized.

pelangio

Aug 13, 2013
important stuff

:handclap:

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

If they told you that an employee who was being layed off took it upon themselves to act out and potentially attempt to damage the brand name of the London Knights on the way out the door, would that change your view? Would you sign the Shut Up deal knowing that the employee is no longer there and that you got the Jersey you had bid on? No fine assume someone is always out to screw you and just identify the problem and scream and yell as loud as you can rather than calm down and work on a solution to the problem? Let's not let the company try and resolve the problem......

Ill word it differently.
"IF" I felt the org tried to screw me over, pull a fast one, get away with something less than agreed to.....
And then when questioned by me on it, stuck to the BS story and then when I took appropriate action and only then did they try to make it whole, but only if I sign a Shut Your mouth deal. Yes I would do what the collector did. I find that reasonable. And would stick up for the principle, not take the easy way out.
The org ( whoever it was, tried pulling a fast one and the response to it waswhat would have left me no doubt and no choice )
If they owned up right off the bat, didnt ask me to shut up n make it whole....maybe it goes away.

Play games in the media..... Just a bad bad call IMO

Last edited:

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010

What you think is appropriate compensation & measures isn't the same as what someone else might think however. The collector is with in his rights. The courts will decide if it's a reasonable demand or what is fair compansation if any.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
A lot of people refer to us on these boards as " arm chair GM's". Now that we are discussing all the legal aspects of this case are we "out house lawyers"?:)

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
A lot of people refer to us on these boards as " arm chair GM's". Now that we are discussing all the legal aspects of this case are we "***** house lawyers"?:naughty:

Thanks for the giggle. True enough.

I have no idea how the courts would rule but I know Id make a stink :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad