London Knights 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxxim1

Oct 17, 2005
Is it unresonable for me to then suggest they counter sue for damage to their reputation and
further ban this "fan" from all future games and team related events.
If he is a STH then give him his money back and tell him to pound salt
there are plenty of people on the waiting list.

TTL1EC5.jpg

may know

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
At this point I think it's best for the Knights to settle with the guy.

It's probably going to cost them $50,000 plus the jersey while the plaintiff signs a non disclosure agreement.

London revises their game worn selling policy and other teams take heed of what happened.

Don't think London wants this to get to court.

Luckily London can afford it but I'm sure they'll pass the cost of the case onto the consumer/fan somehow by raising prices on something.

Last edited:
And if $1,000,000 is the price to expose Tim Hortons coffee for being too hot.. so be it?

I agree with the "superfan" comment above... if the Knights are found guilty so be it.. but the asking price is ridiculous and it would have been better to be settled before reaching this point. Our court system is tied up enough as it is.

The Knights caused this to be what it is by being fraudulent...not the fan. I say throw the book at them. I hope Scott gets more than 60 grand.

=shootscores;121631053]totally agree with you superdee. Anybody stupid enough to throw away over 3 grand on a sweater of a Junior player obviously has more money than brains. If you want to throw money like that out on a jersey in the OHL then it better be on the next big thing, not Marner. I like his game but I am not even sure he will be a top NHLer. My kids could use some money for their bills, maybe you could throw some extra money there way.

I love coming on this board to mostly read London Knights hockey rumors etc. but etc. does not include legal ramblings for pages and pages. Make another thread exclusive to this matter so only those interested in it have to read. There has to be more interesting tidbits to write about.
There already is another thread...you're welcome to go there and chat it up if you like. There will be no other thread in the OHL portion of this forum. This is a London Knights story and will stay as such.

After them trying to make it right realizing they mde a mistake getting the sweater out of the Hall and that wasn't good enough I hope the guy loses. I am certain somebody made a mistake but at the end of the day a mistake is only a mistake until it is corrected. This guy wouldn't let that happen and I hope the guy loses. THE Mem Cup winning MVP jersey wasn't enough ? Screw him.

They didn't "try to make it right" until AFTER the fan threatened legal action and only if he signed a release "agreement of confidentiality" that he could never speak of the incident or be held liable for slander. They tried to bully their way to an agreement. I'd say...screw you...I'll see you in court too.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Lost in all of this, is Mr.Whiffen's mention that the Knights didn't communicate with the complainant in a timely fashion, because they'd just let go their Merchandising/Souvenir Store manager. In fact, they've recently advertised that they're in the process of hiring that individual's replacement.

Could it be, that this alleged fake jersey was done up completely without the knowledge or sanction of the Knights organization ? Who is to say that perhaps this came about as the result of one individual looking to make up some bucks on the side, and not knowing the scrutiny that such an item would undergo ? A person ignorant of the collector community, and the standards that they expect, might be tempted to make such a switcheroo.

( Tongue-in-cheek plausible scapegoat defence )

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
...but that they would only give it to you if you signed a confidentiality agreement stating you wouldn't tell anyone what they'd tried to pull over on you (even though that was not a condition any other auction winner had to fulfil in order to receive what they purchased).

Yes.. the confidentiality agreement was mentioned (and quoted) in the original post.

Otto

The Knights caused this to be what it is by being fraudulent...not the fan. I say throw the book at them. I hope Scott gets more than 60 grand.

And they were willing to make it right , albeit with a signed confidentiality agreement. If the guy are truly a Knights superfan he would have accepted the Jersey, maybe asked for life time seasons tickets and be done with it.. he didn't.. possibly egged on by his lawyer who appears to have an axe to grind in respect to junior hockey.

Otto

Lost in all of this, is Mr.Whiffen's mention that the Knights didn't communicate with the complainant in a timely fashion, because they'd just let go their Merchandising/Souvenir Store manager. In fact, they've recently advertised that they're in the process of hiring that individual's replacement.

Could it be, that this alleged fake jersey was done up completely without the knowledge or sanction of the Knights organization ? Who is to say that perhaps this came about as the result of one individual looking to make up some bucks on the side, and not knowing the scrutiny that such an item would undergo ? A person ignorant of the collector community, and the standards that they expect, might be tempted to make such a switcheroo.

He said they were in the process of terminating their merchandising manager

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I think the guy suing the Knights should be commended. He is trying to protect the community (collectors) by making sure the sellers follow the regulations. I think all he really wants is a full investigation to see how deep this problem runs. Good on him for sticking to his principles and not bowing to his "beloved" Knights and not taking a settlement and signing the non-disclosure agreement.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
And they were willing to make it right , albeit with a signed confidentiality agreement. If the guy are truly a Knights superfan he would have accepted the Jersey, maybe asked for life time seasons tickets and be done with it.. he didn't.. possibly egged on by his lawyer who appears to have an axe to grind in respect to junior hockey.

Yeah, blame the friggin victim. "If he was a superfan" yeah, like some guy off the street is paying $3510 for a jersey of an 18 yr old kid.

"Willing to make it right" after being caught in their fraud attempt. I rob a bank and get caught as long as I offer to make it right by giving the money back but only if the bank promises not to tell anybody that I robbed them - then if the Bank goes through pressing charges then then they're the bad guy in all of it?

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

Yeah, right. If he were "truly" a superfan, he would have signed a confidentiality agreement to cover up their bad behaviour. :shakehead

How about this: if they were truly interested in making it right they would have given him the jersey without demanding he give them something in return.

Your indifference to what appears to have occurred here, coupled with your blaming the fan, is laughable.

Otto

Yeah, right. If he were "truly" a superfan, he would have signed a confidentiality agreement to cover up their bad behaviour. :shakehead

How about this: if they were truly interested in making it right they would have given him the jersey without demanding he give them something in return.

Your indifference to what appears to have occurred here, coupled with your blaming the fan, is laughable.

I blame the fan for how much he is asking for .. and I blame whomever it was for calling him a "superfan"

I blame the team for the mess they have created

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010

If that was the case...
The Knights organization is still responsible. That would be an internal issue.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Yeah, blame the friggin victim. "If he was a superfan" yeah, like some guy off the street is paying $3510 for a jersey of an 18 yr old kid.

"Willing to make it right" after being caught in their fraud attempt. I rob a bank and get caught as long as I offer to make it right by giving the money back but only if the bank promises not to tell anybody that I robbed them - then if the Bank goes through pressing charges then then they're the bad guy in all of it?

This is a microcosm of a problem with society in general. Big business in general runs roughshod over the public. Not much of a chance of a bank forgiving a robber like you said in your example. But if they are caught ripping of consumers for a lot more money than a single robbery would ever fetch, they are just fined a relatively small amount of money and the problem goes away until they do it next time.

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010

The bank is especially bad for pressing charges if you're a customer at that bank....

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
This is a microcosm of a problem with society in general. Big business in general runs roughshod over the public. Not much of a chance of a bank forgiving a robber like you said in your example. But if they are caught ripping of consumers for a lot more money than a single robbery would ever fetch, they are just fined a relatively small amount of money and the problem goes away until they do it next time.

Exactly this confidentiality agreement they wanted him to sign is leading to an admission of guilt and is only there to protect the business. We all understand that but it doesn't mean that's right or the correct course of action. Why should the collector sign that agreement? Just because they want to right their wrong doesn't mean they should get him to sign that.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I blame the fan for how much he is asking for .. and I blame whomever it was for calling him a "superfan"

I blame the team for the mess they have created

Why blame the fan for how much he's asking for? He's entitled to ask for that it doesn't mean he would get it. It's no different than a job interview and being asked how much you want to be paid I can ask for it doesn't mean I will get it.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
If the guy are truly a Knights superfan he would have accepted the Jersey, maybe asked for life time seasons tickets and be done with it..

A pair of lifetime season seats could easily eclipse 60,000.

Not sure why one would therefore be any more acceptable to you than the other.

If the allegations of forgery/fraud are indeed proven, the Knights need to be punished harshly enough as to dissuade others from doing so in the future. I would feel this way no matter the team - Storm included - being that I also collect gamers, though none like this one!

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I wasn't going to chime in but, some of the ignorance..... The Knights intentionally tried to rip off a fan/superfan? You mean a customer? Someone who helps pay their bills? I'm sure if HE ripped THEM off they'd be pressing charges and looking for compensation in court. Whether or not you THINK the guy is an idiot for spending $3500 for a jersey is irrelevant. I don't like Picasso's or vintage Model T's, that doesn't mean they're not worth anything. Jack Eichel's rookie Sabre's jersey just sold for $39k. After THIS media circus you can guarantee that Marner jersey will right now go for more than $3500 if resold and it will have history behind it for all eternity now, further increasing its value in the future. What do you think HOFers junior jerseys go for? More than 3500 in most cases I bet. I'm not into game worn stuff, just familiar with how collectibles work. By the way a rookie Gretzky card in mint 10 condition just sold for 490 something thousand dollars. Authenticity and condition matter and these things are worth whatever someone is willing to pay. That is reality whether you agree or not.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I wasn't going to chime in but, some of the ignorance..... The Knights intentionally tried to rip off a fan/superfan? You mean a customer? Someone who helps pay their bills? I'm sure if HE ripped THEM off they'd be pressing charges and looking for compensation in court. Whether or not you THINK the guy is an idiot for spending $3500 for a jersey is irrelevant. I don't like Picasso's or vintage Model T's, that doesn't mean they're not worth anything. Jack Eichel's rookie Sabre's jersey just sold for $39k. After THIS media circus you can guarantee that Marner jersey will right now go for more than $3500 if resold and it will have history behind it for all eternity now, further increasing its value in the future. What do you think HOFers junior jerseys go for? More than 3500 in most cases I bet. I'm not into game worn stuff, just familiar with how collectibles work. By the way a rookie Gretzky card in mint 10 condition just sold for 490 something thousand dollars. Authenticity and condition matter and these things are worth whatever someone is willing to pay. That is reality whether you agree or not.

My son bought a Gretzky rookie card for a couple of hundred bucks 30 years or more ago. I was going to punish him for doing it because I thought he spent to much. His is in great condition. Some people buy game worn jerseys of their favourite player in the CHL and pay a ton as this fellow did. He did it as a collector and a fan of the Knights. I think he was being honest when he shelled out that amount of cash for an OHL jersey. Sure the Knights are working to get the issue settled.

Otto

A pair of lifetime season seats could easily eclipse 60,000.

Not sure why one would therefore be any more acceptable to you than the other.

It's about half $650×2×25 years

But regardless it was a quick example of something that could have been done.. and it's really just the optics of the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad