London Knights 2014-15 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
I'm with you JL17

Mete has a ton of skill and it was evident in the early parts of last season but he basically disappeared when Chychrun came to the Jr Canadiens. He still had the "wow" moments by they seemed to be fewer and far between. He definitely took a bit of a back seat so It will be interesting to see how he translates into the OHL. More interesting will be how London intends to use him out of the gates. It could be a bit of a slow transition period but I have no doubt that in two years time, he'll be one of the higher scoring Dmen.

His first year could be similar to Capobianco's debut in Sudbury

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Though there were reports that other teams were in the mix for Mete,Owen Sound Gm Dale Defray said Mete would only go to 1 team and would not shift from that position

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Mete will need a strong, big D partner to offset his size and strength in the corners, I see that as the toughest transition for him this year. In my opinion with Mete in London, Defarius is expendable. Similar strengths and weaknesses but Mete is just better. Mete also is a fearless shot blocker, not totally common in a smaller Dman. Mete backhand passing ability is very advanced for his age. I think he will succeed this year based on 2 things. Good hockey mind, phenomenal skating ability.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
The Mete warrior will excite and delight the Knights faithful with his splendid skating stride and edge work.

Nabru

Aug 29, 2009
Mete should be a great talent... but remember how young D are used here. Under Dylan it maybe a different story but if he's a gifted offensive threat and we don't see him using his abilities early on then what's the point. There is also the new break outs and allowing him to use a break out not off the glass and out. A handful of Dmen have ever been given the greenlight Mete sounds like the type that will need it. Don't even think about trying to turn him into Harrington or Tinordi.

Agreed and your post on TOS is right, too. I cannot stand watching London's d-men mindlessly fire the puck out of the zone when they have the time and ability to make a play.

In the last 15-20 years, I don't remember London drafting/obtaining a d-man with such offensive potential. Hunter's been searching for the elusive 16 year old PMD for a while now. We'll see how this transpires.

"I just don't think this was the right time to do this. If London had a better young core with for sure commitments from Jones, Werenski, and Tkachuk, then I would do it but not right now. I don't think London's young core is that strong."

I get what your saying in your post, but for me anytime is a good time to add talent. Esp young talent in a rebuild year.

Maybe Marks got a heads up one or more will sign. I expect Jones at the very least. The rest not so sure, but who knows what else is in the works.

But bringing in talent never hurts sales pitches to draftees or FAs. We're looking 2-3 years away not next year.

It was a step price agreed but I'd rather overpay for something I want, then pay fair value to settle on a kid.
Not sure where Parsons fits long term. But there's a couple others in waiting.
I get the Domi comparison but Domi was acquired in much the same way ( limited teams hed go to or only one , whatever) but that deal was made for 2-3 yrs down the road, just as this one was.

It may not work out, but as I've said, Iove aggressive management.

Injecting young talent is nice. And yes, Hunter obviously has the most knowledge and best idea as to what player commitments they're going to get. It would certainly be a big break if Werenski gets drafted high, signs a pro contract, then has to come to London. That seems to be their only hope in getting him.

I don't necessarily agree that this move was for 2-3 years down the road. No matter who signs from USA or which of the big 3, if any, get sold off for future assets, the biggest X factor remains Mitch Marner and how soon he turns pro. It could easily be '15-'16 and if not, probably '16-17.

And if London's caught in that situation next year, with zero draft picks to trade to load up for a run in Marner's last season, we're in the same cycle of coming close but never winning the big prize.

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009
In the last 15-20 years, I don't remember London drafting/obtaining a d-man with such offensive potential. Hunter's been searching for the elusive 16 year old PMD for a while now. We'll see how this transpires.

Hey Guys, I agree that Mete is the best skating dman to come along in years, but his offensive prowess is yet to be established.

Yes, he can skate his team out of traffic and danger, and yes he can fly and has a nifty backhand, but his offensive ability has yet to be confirmed.

I like the kid a lot, but his offense/playmaking ability is nowhere close to Ryan Murphy or Ryan Ellis. Murphy had the all around offensive package, and look how he has progressed/struggled at the next levels.

It will be nice watching Mete play with Marner and Dvorak.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Agreed and your post on TOS is right, too. I cannot stand watching London's d-men mindlessly fire the puck out of the zone when they have the time and ability to make a play.

Injecting young talent is nice. And yes, Hunter obviously has the most knowledge and best idea as to what player commitments they're going to get. It would certainly be a big break if Werenski gets drafted high, signs a pro contract, then has to come to London. That seems to be their only hope in getting him.

I don't necessarily agree that this move was for 2-3 years down the road. No matter who signs from USA or which of the big 3, if any, get sold off for future assets, the biggest X factor remains Mitch Marner and how soon he turns pro. It could easily be '15-'16 and if not, probably '16-17.

And if London's caught in that situation next year, with zero draft picks to trade to load up for a run in Marner's last season, we're in the same cycle of coming close but never winning the big prize.

Always like ur input! Marner will be here next year IMO and that makes it 2 yrs down the road, granted he maybe gone after year 3.

I think Mark will have some sellable assets to help add next year and year after.
Depth youngins, traded vets ( draft pics) should help a but.

If after 2yrs ( Marners window)there's no chance to compete year 3 you swap vets at that time to rebuild.

Last edited:

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

Hey Guys, I agree that Mete is the best skating dman to come along in years, but his offensive prowess is yet to be established.

Yes, he can skate his team out of traffic and danger, and yes he can fly and has a nifty backhand, but his offensive ability has yet to be confirmed.

I like the kid a lot, but his offense/playmaking ability is nowhere close to Ryan Murphy or Ryan Ellis. Murphy had the all around offensive package, and look how he has progressed/struggled at the next levels.

It will be nice watching Mete play with Marner and Dvorak.

Great point.

Skating in no way equals offense, just a piece to the puzzle.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
A good question from another London forum.

Which 16 yr olds now dress in Londonville?

Rhyshma or Nother have to wait a year?

Hhmmmm.

I'm sticking with Ryshma if it's between those two. Can't change my mind now :)
(But def see the value in Nother as a choice also)

Is it 3 or 3 plus a goalie?

Last edited:

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
A good question from another London forum.

Which 16 yr olds now dress in Londonville?

Is it 3 or 3 plus a goalie?

The Petes have signed/played 3 plus a goalie in preseSon and it appears they plan on doing so for the regular season as well so it must be a goalie doesn't count against the rule.

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
Firstly, Rymsha is a dual-citizen, nullifying any non-portability advantage he would have over Nother.

Regardless, that point is moot as you can carry 4 16 y/o's to my understanding: Mete, Gleason, Nother, and Rymsha.

Savages

Sep 8, 2014
Owen Sound's/Edwards' Tweet:
Breaking: The Attack have traded Victor Mete to the London Knights in exchange for 3x2nd's (17,18,19), 2x3rd's (15,16) and a Cond 6th in 17

Shows this website (http://www.intheoradio.com/ldnpicks) wasn't accurate then -- no '18 2nd was listed. I'm not surprised the East tried to go cheap (relative to London's offer), but I am surprised Owen Sound accepted 3 2nds; 3, 4, & 5 years away, respectively. I speculate none of the East teams offered more than 2 2nds for a.) OS to actually trade Mete to London, and b.) London's offer to actually win out despite the 2nds being so far off (slightly diminishing value to a GM whose longevity is not guaranteed).

New Defence:
1 Mermis
2 Bergman
3 Mete

4 Jamieson
5 Gleason
6 DeFarias
7 Nother
8 Crawley
9 Martenet

10 Kreis

The bolded can't or won't be traded. I also think Nother's in the top-6 regardless. That infers either Jamieson or DeFarias is a lock to be traded to pave room for Nother in the Top-6, and ditto Crawley/Martenet at 7/8.

I like Kreis, but only a trade will obtain OHL playing time for him this season.

I believe that Martenet based on pre season play that I watched has definitely warranted that #5 spot over the rest. He is a big solid, calm, puck moving defenceman. All he needs to do is put on weight and mature a bit and his hockey sense will do the rest. Potential to be a top OHL defender by the time he is 19.

Also as far as the quote for the Knights not being able to obtain/draft offensive defencemen....Wideman, Carlson, Del Zotto, Maata, Zadorov, Syvret....Just to name a few....

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Firstly, Rymsha is a dual-citizen, nullifying any non-portability advantage he would have over Nother.

Regardless, that point is moot as you can carry 4 16 y/o's to my understanding: Mete, Gleason, Nother, and Rymsha.

My bad, I was thinking Parsons as well.

All's good then :) Keep em all but does it ruin my rookie goalie tandem dream for Dec/Jan? No I'm not talking Wheaton :)

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
I believe that Martenet based on pre season play that I watched has definitely warranted that #5 spot over the rest. He is a big solid, calm, puck moving defenceman. All he needs to do is put on weight and mature a bit and his hockey sense will do the rest. Potential to be a top OHL defender by the time he is 19.

Also as far as the quote for the Knights not being able to obtain/draft offensive defencemen....Wideman, Carlson, Del Zotto, Maata, Zadorov, Syvret....Just to name a few....

Welcome to The Fora -- I sense a high quality poster!

I also think concerns over London constraining Mete will be dispelled quickly. We don't know how Dylan will handle the D yet because of a lack of precedent, but I confidently wager London will employ Mete as liberally as anyone. They're not going to squander 10 months of relationship-building and 3 2nds/3 3rds just to turn him into a cooke cutter blue liner.

Who do you see London moving/who would you move? Personally, I'd hate to trade DeFarias as Mete/Gleason & DeFarias/Nother seem like pairings made in heaven for the next 4 years (if JDF plays as O/A).

Last edited:

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
I gotta get to bed. I'm all over the place.

Thanks JH .

I'll try n keep up from now on.

Not your fault -- you fell prey to the wrong Gypsy elsewhere.

My most recent horoscope foreshadowed an impending reversal of trends. It wasn't until today I untapped that prognostication: London's decorated history of moving forwards back will see a twist of fate when a blue liner momentarily inhabits London's 4th line this season. Think about it, London could trade 2 Defencemen, and 2 quality defenders will still be relegated to Black Aces. With London's question marks beyond 11F, the door is open to find one Black Ace on the backend some ice. My bold prediction. ;)

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
Going to take an early guess at the lineup now, roster looks better now with Mete on it in this major retool

Forwards

Dvorak Mccarron Marner

Rupert Yakimovicz Macdonald

Welychka Klima Klima

Miromanov Valentini Grzelewski

Defense

Mermis Bergman

Jamieson Mete

Gleason Nother

Goalies

Parsons

Giugovaz

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
Not too shabby. 3 debatable first round picks from this draft in Jones, Gleason, and now Mete.
The price is higher than I would have liked. All things being equal, I would have preferred Logan Brown for the same price. Could have used his Dad as a Coach too. :laugh:

No doubt in my mind now that the Knights will be big time sellers this season if they get some guys back. Domi, Horvat and Zadorov would be the obvious choices. I would trade Rupert and McCarron come the deadline as well. Keep Welychka and Mermis as the veterans, giving Wely the C.
If Horvat and Domi were returned, that would be a minimum 6 high draft picks right there, as well as youth. Maybe target some more first rounders such as Bitten, Ang or Salinitri?

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Since it's pretty clear now it's a selling year, what was the point in drafting Bergman (1 and a done, most likely)?

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
Since it's pretty clear now it's a selling year, what was the point in drafting Bergman (1 and a done, most likely)?

I state this wearing a bulletproof vest, but I honestly don't think the Mete deal affects Mark's decision to buy or sell. The 3 2nds exchanged are 17-19 - long term assets. Of the 3 3rds exchanged, only 1 registers as near term.

I truly believe Hunter hasn't decided yet. He's going to wait on Domi's/Horvat's status while the Knights tread water.

Remember, if Rupert and Zadorov return, Mark can recoup picks via Welychka and Zadorov, while waiting on how London performs up to the deadline if one of 16/53 return. Another run while only mortgaging very spare parts if anything and recouping picks via Welychka/Zadorov would not be mutually exclusive. Both sets of events can coexist.

Mete, any potential return from trading our excess, and Dylan/Steadman >>> Paul make this team better, even if marginally. While I'm not pegging the '15 Knights for Le Colisee, I think they'll turn some heads with a 4th place WC finish. At least there are possibly 1-2 major assets you can justify selling before the team even has a chance to overachieve (Zadorov, defensive saturation; Welychka, OA congestion pending RR's status). It's the status of 16/53/24 that's effected if the Knights overachieve.

Last edited:

Nabru

Aug 29, 2009

I meant at age 16.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad