Logical Expectations for the Calgary Flames

Monahan For Mayor*

I think McDavid is weak on the puck. He will have a tough time against big teams, but he will tear it up against smaller teams.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'd say he's on Oshie's level for sure. Is Oshie a first-line talent in your opinion?

Nah, first rounders aren't always projected to be first-liners or top-pairing guys. As with all prospects, the appeal to guys in the first round can be either high ceiling or high floor. If you have both, you go in the first few picks. I don't think the Flames picked Klimchuk or Poirier with the idea that they'd become first-liners. I think they were picked because they had a good shot at becoming solid NHLers. Where they end up playing at the NHL level is always unpredictable.

Bo Horvat was selected 9th OA; leading to the draft his upside was going to be elite second or third line centre.

So yeah, picking at 20+ you're hoping for a first liner, but that likelihood goes down big time. You're looking for NHL'ers with upside in the first round for sure. But that'd mean in almost any given year 29-25 teams go home with losses.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He's a first rounder.

Come on. First rounders are supposed to be established, top-flite talents.
[mod]If every NHL player taken in the first round was a top flight talent there would be 30 stars entering the league every year.

it's more like:

Picks 1-5: 1st line/#1 defensemen
Picks 6-15: 2nd line/#2 defensemen
Picks 16-30: 3rd line/#3-4 defensemen
Picks 31-60: 4th line/# 5-6 defensemen
Picks 61+: depth players

and even then there are so many outliers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad