Logical Expectations for the Calgary Flames

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Hi all!

I’m a partner, so I can share this all with you now.

Over the past little while, I’ve been writing a series of articles on my website (glengarryglencross.blogspot.com - yes, I’m getting a non-blogspot domain name). Among these has been a series titled Logical Expectations, where I attempt to rationally project the Flames’ statistics for the upcoming year.

I typically write one every two/three days.

Here is a list of all of the completed articles thus far:

#1 - JONAS HILLER

#3 - DAVID SCHLEMKO (stats)

#4 - KRIS RUSSELL (stats)

#5 - MARK GIORDANO

#6 - DENNIS WIDEMAN

#7 - T.J. BRODIE

#8 - JOE COLBORNE

#11 - MIKAEL BACKLUND

Last edited:

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
As much as I like Schlemko, I don't think he'll be back. Wotherspoon, Morrisson, Nakladal, Engelland, and Smid are all likely fighting for that #6/7 spot. The only way I see Schlemko back is if Smid isn't going to play this year.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
As much as I like Schlemko, I don't think he'll be back. Wotherspoon, Morrisson, Nakladal, Engelland, and Smid are all likely fighting for that #6/7 spot. The only way I see Schlemko back is if Smid isn't going to play this year.

I honestly thought he played well enough for a contract somewhere. It blows my mind no one has taken a 1year 800k-1mil run at him.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
I honestly thought he played well enough for a contract somewhere. It blows my mind no one has taken a 1year 800k-1mil run at him.

IKR? Why are people signing guys like Shane O’Brien when you can have a good possession defenseman in Schlemko?

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
I'd say your pretty close on his numbers. However this definitely depends on how soon Bennet can knock him down to #3. If Bennet comes out guns blazing and takes over the #2 spot and gets mostly offensive zone starts, well you can bet backs will have a harder time reaching those numbers.

Of course.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think McDavid is going to score over 70. Eichel will do really well too, I think. Hopefully Kane shows him the ropes.

"No, no, no Jack... When you do push-ups, you gotta have stacks on your back. Rookie mistake."

McDavid has the ability to put up some nutty numbers. It's a lot of skill. Although if he put up like 40 points the tears and back pedaling would be awesome.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
"No, no, no Jack... When you do push-ups, you gotta have stacks on your back. Rookie mistake."

McDavid has the ability to put up some nutty numbers. It's a lot of skill. Although if he put up like 40 points the tears and back pedaling would be awesome.

Oh for sure. But he's going to get every opportunity there to succeed. I think the plan already is to play him with Hall, so he's going to get topline minutes and Hall has already got 80 points so you gotta wonder how good he's going to be right off the bat. McDavid has elite speed, which help him survive in the NHL and he probably already thinks the game better than 90% of the current players in the NHL.

I know everyone likes to rip the Oilers, but this kid is going to take the NHL by storm. I'm so pumped for Flames and Oilers games this year, they are going to be awesome.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
If McDavid is between Hall and Eberle/Yak, I'd expect the success to be immediate and show why hes the most hyped prospect.

Aug 21, 2014
My only quarrel with your article. Never will live up to his draft pedigree? Are we talking about how Backlund was supposed to be our 1C? Or in relation to other 24th overalls..

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
My only quarrel with your article. Never will live up to his draft pedigree? Are we talking about how Backlund was supposed to be our 1C? Or in relation to other 24th overalls..

He's a first rounder.

Come on. First rounders are supposed to be established, top-flite talents.

I have nothing against Mikael Backlund, but he's no Kane or Voracek.

And guys like T.J. Oshie and Semyon Varlamov have been taken around his position before. He's just not at that level.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
All I expect from this team is that they continue to develop, and put in the effort every night. If it means finishing the year with 75-80 points, so be it.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
He's a first rounder.

Come on. First rounders are supposed to be established, top-flite talents.

I have nothing against Mikael Backlund, but he's no Kane or Voracek.

And guys like T.J. Oshie and Semyon Varlamov have been taken around his position before. He's just not at that level.

I'd say he's on Oshie's level for sure. Is Oshie a first-line talent in your opinion?

Nah, first rounders aren't always projected to be first-liners or top-pairing guys. As with all prospects, the appeal to guys in the first round can be either high ceiling or high floor. If you have both, you go in the first few picks. I don't think the Flames picked Klimchuk or Poirier with the idea that they'd become first-liners. I think they were picked because they had a good shot at becoming solid NHLers. Where they end up playing at the NHL level is always unpredictable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad