Confirmed with Link: Locker Room Exit Interviews Monday May 6 (Players and Keefe) + Pelley/Shanny/Tre on Friday VIDEO LINK PG 57

Will Keefe be fired next week?

• Yes

Votes: 293 85.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 14.1%

• Total voters

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Is that why Pelley kept on repeating "Chemistry and Unity"

:naughty:

;)
Maybe.
I just thought his program was glitched.
1715455589070.gif

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I agree.

The line between winning and losing is such a fine one come playoff time. I remember when the Caps finally busted through against the Pens they talked to Sid and asked him what the Caps did differently.

He answered saying they didn't do anything differently than other years. He cited how sometimes it comes down to a break here and a bounce there. He wasn't discrediting the Caps in any way but saying it's very hard to win in the playoffs.

Leafs core are in their prime right now and I truly think they need the right voice to get them over that hump.

I remember that Caps run differently. Some examples:

Trotz on Ovi

Ovi on how to win in playoffs
1715455142784.png

Ovi, Backstrom, Oshie, Kuznetsov, Carlson, Niskanen, Eller, etc.... Heck even Devante Smith-Pelly was griding the other teams on the 4th line he had what like 5+ goals? thats total team buy in and one for all and all for one outlook.

Caps didn't have one player that played like a soft creampuff in that run.

My opinion:
Winning and losing is part of any sporting event. I get it. Its not that Leafs have lost, its the way they lose all the time - especially when their high AAV player(s) do not go into difficult areas for offensive opportunity, board battles, puck battles, playing body etc... Mitch Marner is the #1 culprit of this (Tavares is #2 and quite frankly just too slow and not productive enough for his cap hit); and at Marner's cap hit his play is just not acceptable. If Marner was 6 to 7 AAV one could still stomach his play although I'd still be pissed but at 11 AAV and potentially 12+ AAV in future, there is no way Leafs will be able to make any sufficient and/or significant progress in the playoffs.

Two plays both against the bruins:
1-> Regular season: Marner has empty net but doesn'tn shoot because he is afraid he will get hit; goes around the net and falls like a moron while taking a nothing shot after the fact from the perimeter

2.-> Playoffs: Game 7 -> Swayman gives up a puck behind the net; all marner had to do was stop and go backhand wraparound for a chance, he didn't do it why? afraid of getting hit as boston usually clears the crease with heavy hockey.

3. In the playoffs, every board battle and 50-50 puck Marner lost like a moron or didn't engage in fear of getting hit. thats not the kind of playoff hockey you can win with.

If marner was doing all of the above and Leafs still lost nobody would be this pissed off as they did all they could to win and "bounces" just didn't go their way. BUT THIS IS NOT TRUE! Leafs didn't do all they could to win and they sucked on special teams especially 4% on PP I mean wtf is all that about? Florida is making Boston's PK a roadkill.

Leafs desperately need a change in personnel and hockey philosophy if they want to win the cup

Last edited:

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
If reports are true and the Flames owner told Conroy not to trade
with the Leafs you would have to imagine the had a big say in the contracts signed by Hubs and Naz.
I also believe he didn’t have full say in Willy’s contract.
I 100% guarantee Edwards was involved in those two contracts in Calgary to some degree beyond just a DocuSign.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The latest Leafs Report pod had a few interesting tidbits. Shanny's contract status is a bit murky, things have never been made fully public, Mirtle suggest there may be certain options clauses/hinting that Shanny may be under contract technically longer than what was originally reported (which was he was extended through to 2025).

Mirtle has got the sense that Tre's organizational profile may be rising too.

Last edited:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I 100% guarantee Edwards was involved in those two contracts in Calgary to some degree beyond just a DocuSign.

Treliving wanted out of Calgary. its not a secret everyone knows. Because the flames ownership was poisonous

1. Calgary Flames, general manager Brad Treliving agree to part ways | TSN

2. Treliving's decision to bolt leaves Flames looking lost

"This was, without question, Treliving’s choice. He fired the Flames, not the other way around."

If I recall correctly, even the Sutter hire wasn't really Treliving, Brad was forced by ownership to ink that deal

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I don’t think that would look good at all on the organization if they did that, especially if they tried to bring in any more “hometown” players who would be interested in coming here in the future.
I dont think him retiring and going upstairs reflects on Toronto anymore than when Neely went upstairs and won a cup. Upon reflection, if offered assistant GM, Tavares may realize that he is passed his peak but not finished with hockey. The truth is , since Tavares is from Toronto he may see leaving as better than hanging on. Fans will howl at the moon if he gets 50 pts next year and Shanahan will never survive. I think its Shanahans last kick at the can and he has been told let Tre do what he has to do. Tre will talk to Tavares and I bet all options will be discussed.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
Shanahan should have realized Zach Hyman can never leave Toronto. Hyman should being wearing the C in TOronto. On that young team full of ego, they needed 1 of the hardest working captains to look at as their example. Hyman would have been perfect for that, to see an example every shift about how to compete hard. He tore his ACL and put a brace on it and played thru in in the playoffs, u never let a guy like that go.
The odd thing is Shanny was a power forward himself. You'd think he would know a guy like Hyman would be good for reg and playoffs. Hyman is racking up the goals because they are using him with McDavid and gang to be a good scoring option around the net while McDavid/Dry zoom around and shoot from anywhere. They know Hyman will standing in front of the net. Leafs didnt use him that way. He got pushed out as they preferred JT to be that guy. Problem is Hyman is a but younger and seems way fresher and mobile than JT even though he's only 2 years younger than JT.

Leafs shot themselves in the foot because Hyman's contract is only $5.5M/year on Oilers. Looks at all the trash the team has signed over the years as temporary plugs at about that price. Crazy.

Some reason they played hardball with him on contracts, so Hyman bolted. He probably would had stayed if he got the same money. Then again, I dont know. Maybe he wanted out no matter what. But Leafs radio said Shanahan/Dubas didnt want to offer him a NMC like other players so Hyman left.

Last edited:

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002

Trotz on Ovi

View attachment 868986

Ovi, Backstrom, Oshie, Kuznetsov, Carlson, Niskanen, Eller, etc.... Heck even Devante Smith-Pelly was griding the other teams on the 4th line he had what like 5+ goals? thats total team buy in and one for all and all for one outlook.

My opinion:
Winning and losing is part of any sporting event. I get it. Its not that Leafs have lost, its the way they lose all the time - especially when their high AAV player(s) do not go into difficult areas for offensive opportunity, board battles, puck battles, playing body etc... Mitch Marner is the #1 culprit of this (Tavares is #2 and quite frankly just too slow and not productive enough for his cap hit); and at Marner's cap hit his play is just not acceptable. If Marner was 6 to 7 AAV one could still stomach his play although I'd still be pissed but at 11 AAV and potentially 12+ AAV in future, there is no way Leafs will be able to make any sufficient and/or significant progress in the playoffs.

1-> Regular season: Marner has empty net but doesn'tn shoot because he is afraid he will get hit; goes around the net and falls like a moron while taking a nothing shot after the fact from the perimeter

2.-> Playoffs: Game 7 -> Swayman gives up a puck behind the net; all marner had to do was stop and go backhand wraparound for a chance, he didn't do it why? afraid of getting hit as boston usually clears the crease with heavy hockey.

3. In the playoffs, every board battle and 50-50 puck Marner lost like a moron or didn't engage in fear of getting hit. thats not the kind of playoff hockey you can win with.

If marner was doing all of the above and Leafs still lost nobody would be this pissed off as they did all they could to win and "bounces" just didn't go their way. BUT THIS IS NOT TRUE! Leafs didn't do all they could to win and they sucked on special teams especially 4% on PP I mean wtf is all that about? Florida is making Boston's PK a roadkill.

Leafs desperately need a change in personnel and hockey philosophy if they want to win the cup
But..but they were so close to playing Florida and losing in 5 ! If only Samsonov hadnt let in 3 easy goals per game.

Reactions: PromisedLand

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I dont think him retiring and going upstairs reflects on Toronto anymore than when Neely went upstairs and won a cup. Upon reflection, if offered assistant GM, Tavares may realize that he is passed his peak but not finished with hockey. The truth is , since Tavares is from Toronto he may see leaving as better than hanging on. Fans will howl at the moon if he gets 50 pts next year and Shanahan will never survive. I think its Shanahans last kick at the can and he has been told let Tre do what he has to do. Tre will talk to Tavares and I bet all options will be discussed.
Do we really want Tavares in a management position? I don't.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
The odd thing is Shanny was a power forward himself. You'd think he would know a guy like Hyman would be good for reg and playoffs. Hyman is racking up the goals because they are using him with McDavid and gang to be a good scoring option around the net while McDavid/Dry zoom around and shoot from anywhere. They know Hyman will standing in front of the net. Leafs didnt use him that way. He got pushed out as they preferred JT to be that guy. Problem is Hyman is a but younger and seems way fresher and mobile than JT even though he's only 2 years younger than JT.

Leafs shot themselves in the foot because Hyman's contract is only $5.5M/year on Oilers. Looks at all the trash the team has signed over the years as temporary plugs at about that price. Crazy.

Some reason they played hardball with him on contracts, so Hyman bolted. He probably would had stayed if he got the same money. Then again, I dont know. Maybe he wanted out no matter what. But Leafs radio said Shanahan/Dubas didnt want to offer him a NMC like other players so Hyman left.

I think Hyman would have stayed at $5 million per, but Dubas didn't want to pay him that much, so chose a different route....after all, Dubas is the master of filling around the margins...:sarcasm:

Reactions: 647Hockey

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Sid's stirring the social media pot :laugh:

Does it even matter anyway if they do or not. The media just loves to shit on everything to do with the Leafs.

I'm sure they all gave him a call etc behind the scenes. We don't need to know all that and who cares.

Not many people probably call their boss if they get fired.

And I know you're just joking about it... all good.

Sid is just a guy who thinks he knows a lot about sports because he was doing sports radio but he probably can't even throw a ball, shoot a puck, or even do a layup.

I'm not saying you can't "know" sports or talk about them without playing them ... but I appreciate someone who actually has at least grown up being into it a bit.

Irks me when he grand stands about the Leafs but didn't even watch all their playoff games. Get outta here.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
There is no unity when your team is built on the premise of the haves and have nots.
every team in the history of pro sports is like that. Including all the championship teas And what are you actually suggesting anyway? Seize the wealth of certain players and redistribute it? For the good of the commune? And what do we do with that pesky problem that all players are not equally talented or hard working? Should Matthews score less goals for the sake of "unity" whatever that is supposed to even mean? One of the reporters actually asked about this creepy stuff. Whether they could have unity when some of the players make more money. He sounded young. But the growing talk like this is getting a bit scary.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Agreed. I was more concerned about them telling Tavares he would not be playing this year, or something like that. My memory isn’t great. Or maybe I totally messed up with what was said.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
There is no unity when your team is built on the premise of the haves and have nots.
To me, it's not just about the money. But simply team focus on players.

Oilers have had the awesome combo of McDavid and Draisaitl for years. Theyve made it to the semis once and got smoked. The team focuses so much on scoring, at the expense of defence and goaltending they are basically the same as the Leafs except they got enough scoring to make it farther.

In sports, it seems the championship team usually has a good mix of scoring and defence (and when it comes to hockey and baseball, that includes goaltending and pitching).

It's not that often a team wins based on awesome scoring and dogshit defence, or vice versa. There's going to be a good mix.

If Leafs core 4 was lets say 2 good forwards, 1 good Dman and 1 stud goalie it would be totally different. But they some reason stacked on 4 forward, and then roll the dice plugging in a revolving door of second rate F, D, G hoping they play like all stars in the playoffs to put them over the edge.

If anyone wants to add Rielly as core 5 since he costs a lot too at a huge contract, that's fine too. Another player who is offence focused. So you got 5 big contracts for 5 scoring focused players. And no money left for bonafide D or G to hold the backend.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Watching Florida light up Swayman is so frustrating. Even the most delusional Leaf fans who think we keep getting “goalied” year after year should find it hard to defend this team anymore.
Keefe NEVER had a clue as to how to score goals the way you have to in the playoffs. Even provided guys like Bertuzzi and McMann who mostly score via screens as their bread and butter, his strategy involving them was light years away from what Florida is doing.

"Hey, Tyler, I want you to stand in front of the net and DON'T MOVE."

Notice how Florida doesn't have guys just trying to stand there, but rather time guys going out in front to when the outside guys are shooting so the Boston D-men don't have time to clear them out? Keefe never considered trying something like that.

(I'd also like to point out that the Boston diving game is suddenly gone. Wonder why that is?)

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Really? Bc I don’t think the right voice will be able to get the top guys scoring in the playoffs.
Or the top guys to charge into board battles and win.
Or create room when there is absolutely no room in the ozone
Check them out under Babcock; they didn't look like this in the other two Boston series.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Unfortunately the Leafs aren’t boldly going. They are more Lost in Space.
There was an episode of Star Trek: TNG where a xenophobic alien had the power to erase memories.

I wonder if they take Venmo?

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario

Trotz on Ovi

View attachment 868986

My opinion:

I also think Kuznetsov stepping up to offset Malkin was huge. Ovi and Backstrom together wasn't enough.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Check them out under Babcock; they didn't look like this in the other two Boston series.
That’s bc they were young and innocent, lol.

I don’t think it is Keefe as much as the top guys just didn’t want to do the dirty works in playoffs.

You watch guys like McD, Drai, Mack, Tkachuk, Barkov, Pastra, Point….they all kept improving year after year but our top guys seem to get worse year after year.

I watched the Nucks and Oilers game live last night and McD and Drai were getting smashed every single time they are in the corners or board battles but they kept going at it and kept grinding. I just don’t see that in our top guys.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Assistant GM ? Yeah. He is 10 times better than Dumbad and has been in the trenches.

No thanks.

The leader that after yet another blown lead/game 7 loss claimed this team was "so close" again this year? I don't want that mentality anywhere near decision-makers for this franchise.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
To me, it's not just about the money. But simply team focus on players.

Oilers have had the awesome combo of McDavid and Draisaitl for years. Theyve made it to the semis once and got smoked. The team focuses so much on scoring, at the expense of defence and goaltending they are basically the same as the Leafs except they got enough scoring to make it farther.

In sports, it seems the championship team usually has a good mix of scoring and defence (and when it comes to hockey and baseball, that includes goaltending and pitching).

It's not that often a team wins based on awesome scoring and dogshit defence, or vice versa. There's going to be a good mix.

If Leafs core 4 was lets say 2 good forwards, 1 good Dman and 1 stud goalie it would be totally different. But they some reason stacked on 4 forward, and then roll the dice plugging in a revolving door of second rate F, D, G hoping they play like all stars in the playoffs to put them over the edge.

If anyone wants to add Rielly as core 5 since he costs a lot too at a huge contract, that's fine too. Another player who is offence focused. So you got 5 big contracts for 5 scoring focused players. And no money left for bonafide D or G to hold the backend.
Or our top guys can score some goals.
If all four of them can combine for McD and Drai offence per playoffs, which is not a big ask as Leafs got AM, MM, Willie and JT, they would probably won more than ONE round.

Reactions: 647Hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad