Local sports coverage talk (the Athletic/Local TV/TBN/WGR/Charging Buffalo/LGA, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
What I don't understand is people listen to WGR and then come here to complain. Stop listening. I did years ago.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
What I don't understand is people listen to WGR and then come here to complain. Stop listening. I did years ago.

What I don't understand is people who read the complain about WGR thread then come here and complain about the complaining.

As gets rehashed every few pages: It's the only sports radio station that covers buffalo sports. Especially for those that live out of town, it's the best option there is for coverage, especially when you're looking for discussion.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
What I don't understand is people who read the complain about WGR thread then come here and complain about the complaining.

As gets rehashed every few pages: It's the only sports radio station that covers buffalo sports. Especially for those that live out of town, it's the best option there is for coverage, especially when you're looking for discussion.

Just name it the complain about local media thread. I came here thinking something useful was posted. I guess I only have myself to blame.

IMO this website is the best option for Sabres coverage.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Amazing that on the day when F/A begins, they can't rely on Koziol who does their post game show, Hamilton their so called beat reporter, or even some of the Instigator regulars(Peters, Biron, Rivet, etc...).

Instead, let's put guys in front of the mic, who are normally behind the scenes "producers/screeners".

The only time is was halfway decent was when they had Joe Yerdon from nhl.com in studio for about 1/2 hour.

This is what you get when you only have one sports talk station in a city with two professional teams. No competition, no need to strive to be the best.

Joe Yerdon is pretty good. I also didn't mind listening when Matt Bove was on. He's from channel 7.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
Schopp was blathering on the other day about Gorges still being in the top six. His producer had to remind him Antipin exists. I mean, you talk about the same two teams for a living every day. Try to at least know their roster? Just embarrassing.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
They're the only option so I'll listen occasionally.

What has been killing me lately is that "heeeeeaaaarrrrr moooorrrreeee" commercial. Drives me up the wall to the point I have to turn of the radio while its on, idk why.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
They're the only option so I'll listen occasionally.

What has been killing me lately is that "heeeeeaaaarrrrr moooorrrreeee" commercial. Drives me up the wall to the point I have to turn of the radio while its on, idk why.

I usually just listen on demand so I avoid the commercials. But yes, on the occasion I do listen live, the 5 commercials they repeat over and over again definitely drive me crazy :laugh:

Deleted member 27798

One of the guys on the early afternoon shift yesterday suggested that CJ Smith is in the running for a spot on the wing with ROR. Huh?

lol

snowshoes1818

Oct 19, 2014
Joe Yerdon is pretty good. I also didn't mind listening when Matt Bove was on. He's from channel 7.

Yerdon was a pretty good listen yesterday. This is the thing for me. There are a lot of intelligent, charismatic, intelligent people out there writing, starting podcasts, etc. So why does WGR have such a hard time finding them?

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I usually just listen on demand so I avoid the commercials. But yes, on the occasion I do listen live, the 5 commercials they repeat over and over again definitely drive me crazy :laugh:

Rapper, actor, model little dicky doesn't like your attitude

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
I've been a lot happier person since I finally stopped listening to all radio a couple years ago.

However, I did work around a lot of these people and know the scene, so I can't avoid hating most of them.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Just when I was beginning to think that Bucky was becoming a decent journalist he had to resurrect the Drury-Briere fiasco today.

Honest question: What made you think he was becoming decent?

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I cannot stand Schopp. I get what they are here for, they aren't here to cater to the HF type of fans. I know someone is bound to make a snarky joke but virtually all of the posters who are regulars here know 10x as much about the Sabres, around the league, cap, prospects etc then Schopp. If Schopp was respectful it wouldn't be so bad but he's a pompous ******* who knows nothing, and don't even get me started on the stupid "fantasy" drafts they do about Foods and movies and other non sense.

I will say this, I actually can enjoy the show when Schopp is off and it's just Bulldog on air. Bulldog is at least courteous and more personable. I at least can respect where Bulldog comes from, he may have differing opinions but he is at least clear and stresses it's his opinion. Schopp on the other hand brands his baseless and laughable opinions as facts.

Sigh, what I wouldn't give to have a competing sports talk show in Buffalo. Or at least bring in some educated hosts. I pray that they eventually fire Schopp, move Bulldog off the prime time/drive home slot and bring in some real talent...like a hockey version of Coach Sal C. I wish Coach Sal did more on the Sabres side of things, I've been a big fan of Coach Sal for years, well before he came back to Buffalo when he was still down in Florida.

Oh, and whoever that raspy voiced young guy they got on now who is some type of producer is just god awful. Almost as bad as Schopp.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport

Unfortunately it's the only local radio sports format right now. Both 1270 and 1520 are just national radio, which is crap for hockey coverage.

Andrew and Craig can get really obnoxious at times. But at least they have on good guests.

Mike and bulldog are pure trash. I hated that they always seemed to get the GM interviews. No wonder Tim Murray failed in Buffalo. He always talked to those guys. They jinxed him. (/end sarcasm)

Bulldog would be better with someone else. There might be some salvage there.

Howard and Jeremy are a range between "Ugg" to "Bleh" or "Meh".

I do listen to podcasts like MvsW and 590 FAN (Toronto) which i get in the north towns here.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
They had the guy on this morning who said Eichel should be top 5 scoring. Nothing overly interesting. He's tops or almost tops in the league at scoring chances created and zone entries. But I always enjoy when professional adv. stats guys talk down the significance of shot volume stats. Really I like anything that makes schopp look bad but I also like trashing shot volume stats.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Jeremy had a solid discussion this morning (with an accompanying article on WGR) on how teams should offer sheet RFAs to deals that bring them to UFA as soon as possible.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Jeremy had a solid discussion this morning (with an accompanying article on WGR) on how teams should offer sheet RFAs to deals that bring them to UFA as soon as possible.

I heard it as well and agree with his assertion. Would make things interesting. Just doesn't seem like the manner in which business is done in the NHL. At least at this time.

Maybe all it will take is one or two guys to go rogue and start offer sheeting RFAs - and then have success as a result of the move.

SamsonReinFart

Mar 15, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I feel so differently about these shows than everyone on here...

I find all four of the regular hosts to be a good enjoyable listen, but definitely prefer Schopp and Jeremy White to their counterparts. I can't stand Sal or Paul Hamilton and find that they are either terribly boring (Sal) or have terrible opinions and are really pompous about them (Hamilton).

I listen to Schopp and the Bulldog regularly and don't hear the things other people hear. His "rudeness" get's blown way out of proportion and most of the times he's rude it's instigated by the caller or he gets callers who have no idea what they're talking about and he's trying to get them off the air. I wish they'd just stop taking callers. I also think that the hosts supposed lack of hockey/football knowledge also gets dramatized by some posters...

I enjoy the silly drafts. I enjoy their personalities. I like when they go off on tangents. It's entertaining. I think they're all relatively knowledgeable and probably agree with more than half of their opinions. I think they do a good job mixing in bits of information and representation from the analytics crowd while still getting old school opinions in there.

But this is sports, and there are people at all ends of the spectrum when it comes to sports opinions so I'm not surprised that some people hate them and think they're dumb.

But whatever, people like different things. That's fine. We're all entitled to like or not like it. Just wanted to post because this thread could use some different opinions than the echo-chamber it currently is.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Buffalo News hired new columnist

http://buffalonews.com/2017/08/02/kimberley-martin-join-buffalo-news-sports-columnist/

Interesting they didn't look in-house for this job. I'm a Sabres fan but I'm assuming being the Bills columnist if the top job there and drives way more traffic than hockey.

I don't have a problem with Sabres coverage like others but I will say the Buffalo News breaks almost no stories on the team and just follows up on stories that come out of Canada and elsewhere, from the Sabres. Harrington is on top of following the stories of others but produces very little original scoops. He's been abusive during press conference. It's not his job to be positive about team but he's also supposed to be objective and not negative for sake of being negative. Vogl is solid too but again breaks few stories.

If you ask me the number one issue with News coverage, you rarely stop and think 'wow, I never thought of that.' There reason to read paper is a check to make sure you know everything going on about team.

I can't say I follow Bills so I have no idea of their coverage of that team.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
http://buffalonews.com/2017/08/02/kimberley-martin-join-buffalo-news-sports-columnist/

Interesting they didn't look in-house for this job. I'm a Sabres fan but I'm assuming being the Bills columnist if the top job there and drives way more traffic than hockey.

I don't have a problem with Sabres coverage like others but I will say the Buffalo News breaks almost no stories on the team and just follows up on stories that come out of Canada and elsewhere, from the Sabres. Harrington is on top of following the stories of others but produces very little original scoops. He's been abusive during press conference. It's not his job to be positive about team but he's also supposed to be objective and not negative for sake of being negative. Vogl is solid too but again breaks few stories.

If you ask me the number one issue with News coverage, you rarely stop and think 'wow, I never thought of that.' There reason to read paper is a check to make sure you know everything going on about team.

I can't say I follow Bills so I have no idea of their coverage of that team.

Seems like her background is football, and I assume that's what they'll have her covering.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
There's a congratulatory endorsement from Lisa Wilson, Allen Wilson's wife. Is it possible this new hire Kim Martin is TBN's replacement for the deceased Allen Wilson? That was a sad story when all that happened. I'm sorry I can't recall how long that has been and I no longer live in WNY / BUF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad