Local sports coverage talk (the Athletic/Local TV/TBN/WGR/Charging Buffalo/LGA, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aceface33

Feb 10, 2006
Herkimer, NY
How does WGR not have the draft on right now? High school sports is on. Thankfully I have satellite radio. But I do like to check in with the locals from time to time.

I also turned it on looking for draft coverage at about 10am. It's about the only time I'd ever turn on WGR on a Saturday but it was the high school show so I immediately turned it off again. That's great business.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Hamilton blabbering on about how we are cap strapped and have no cap space because only 2 million came off the books this offseason. Silly me I thought we had over 20 million in cap space because Gionta, Kulikov, and Franson all came off the books...

Hell, they cleared $2M just between two guys who are no longer playing (McCormick and Hodgson).

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Harrington showing again what an asshat he is.

He asked Botterill if he will feel pressure to draft Penn State players because Pegula is so involved there.

Always looking for that dark/devious Pegula angle.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
I'm consistently amazed Hamilton is still employed. Uninformed and condescending is not a good combination.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Harrington showing again what an asshat he is.

He asked Botterill if he will feel pressure to draft Penn State players because Pegula is so involved there.

Always looking for that dark/devious Pegula angle.

I'm still awaiting the ban for pointing out his faux indignation at the Laaksonen pick is also a perfect opportunity to ask what the scouts see in him or who turned the kid up -- you know, journalism. :laugh:

Deleted member 27798

I'm consistently amazed Hamilton is still employed. Uninformed and condescending is not a good combination.

When on-air performance is not held in high regards, and it is rare for anyone to be fired(the only on air staffer I can recall from recent memory is Riter), this is what you get.

They are the only game in town in terms of sports talk, and it just seems like there is a lot of going through the motions.

Unless they choose to leave on their own accord, get ready for at least another decade of Simon, White, Schoop, Bulldog, Sal & Hamilton.

rtfirefly

Nov 13, 2013
I was in the car this afternoon, and reflexively hit the first preset button on the radio. The next little while served as a reiteration of the fact that it would be extremely hard to find a more insufferable human being than Schoop. At some point, I guess, his obscene overestimation of his own observations becomes in its way . . . comical. Somehow though, I don't think he gets the parodic joke.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Remind me again why some of you listen to WGR at 3:00? Then complain about what you hear? It's not like he's new on the radio. You know exactly what you're getting at that time.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hey look! A piece on scouting (albeit from a rival city's hockey press, but something TBN might want to read and imitate):

The Sabre-centric tidbit is this:

“I think he was messing with me, actually, but he also wanted to see if I had a backbone,” Bell recalled. “[Then co-director of player personnel] Randy [Sexton] does that really well, too. They’ll tell you they don’t like a player you really like just to see if you’re willing to put your name on the line for a guy

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Remind me again why some of you listen to WGR at 3:00? Then complain about what you hear? It's not like he's new on the radio. You know exactly what you're getting at that time.

Why are you reading this thread if you don't want to see people talking about the local media? Especially when it's a given people are going to be complaining about it.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Why are you reading this thread if you don't want to see people talking about the local media? Especially when it's a given people are going to be complaining about it.

No, I was curious as to why people listen to Schoop. Does anyone think ..

Is it good radio?
Is it insightful?
Is it entertaining?
Is it educational?

I want to be reminded as to why people listen. Maybe you don't care to know. But that's ok. I am curious. I do want to know. :dunno:

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny

Is it good radio?
Is it insightful?
Is it entertaining?
Is it educational?

I want to be reminded as to why people listen. Maybe you don't care to know. But that's ok. I am curious. I do want to know. :dunno:

Mostly because I haven't put the effort in to download any of the various podcast from around here and my office radio isn't strong enough to get 590.

Thus my local talk options at 3 are either him or Baurle.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Craig Rivet says some mind boggling dumb things. Today he voiced the opinion that it would be advantageous for the Sabres if Eichel would sign a 5 year contract rather than one for 8 years because it would give the Sabres more cap flexibility. :help:

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

Is it good radio?
Is it insightful?
Is it entertaining?
Is it educational?

Mostly because there's no buffalo sports alternative

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Mostly because there's no buffalo sports alternative

Pretty much. I listen to S&B when:

1) I'm searching for Sabres news with no alternative at the time

2) They have a guest on that I like to hear from, such as our GM or Travis Yost

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
So many little things bother me about Paul Hamilton. He's just so wrong so often. I don't get why he's allowed to be perpetually wrong.

Today:

-Should have bought out Moulson. The money on his buyout would make sense. No discussion of course of the fact that it hardly saves ANY money next year when it matters.

-Talking about whether left handed D can play right and vice versa, said Antipin is a left side D with the ability to "flip sides" and play right D. Close, but no. He's a RD. That's what he plays. It's all he's ever played.

Small things, but man, when you're perpetually wrong about all the small things it really kills your credibility with the big ones.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So many little things bother me about Paul Hamilton. He's just so wrong so often. I don't get why he's allowed to be perpetually wrong.

Today:

-Should have bought out Moulson. The money on his buyout would make sense. No discussion of course of the fact that it hardly saves ANY money next year when it matters.

-Talking about whether left handed D can play right and vice versa, said Antipin is a left side D with the ability to "flip sides" and play right D. Close, but no. He's a RD. That's what he plays. It's all he's ever played.

Small things, but man, when you're perpetually wrong about all the small things it really kills your credibility with the big ones.

His rant about Friedman was also telling -- petty stuff from a guy who is right about so many things, including breaking stories on the team HamHam is supposed to be covering before PH does.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Ryan and Brayton are really killing it on FA coverage right now, and I don't mean that in the good way. They sound like two immature kids who just got their hands on a microphone for the first time.

Most recently they're mocking the Hainsey deal, which they say is 3 years at 3.5 per, and think it's especially horrible as he's incapable of anything more than the most limited bottom pair minutes.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Ryan and Brayton are really killing it on FA coverage right now, and I don't mean that in the good way. They sound like two immature kids who just got their hands on a microphone for the first time.

Most recently they're mocking the Hainsey deal, which they say is 3 years at 3.5 per, and think it's especially horrible as he's incapable of anything more than the most limited bottom pair minutes.

Sabres need to use a good portion of their remaining 16 million in cap space this year for Reinhart and Eichel extensions :help:

Deleted member 27798

Amazing that on the day when F/A begins, they can't rely on Koziol who does their post game show, Hamilton their so called beat reporter, or even some of the Instigator regulars(Peters, Biron, Rivet, etc...).

Instead, let's put guys in front of the mic, who are normally behind the scenes "producers/screeners".

The only time is was halfway decent was when they had Joe Yerdon from nhl.com in studio for about 1/2 hour.

This is what you get when you only have one sports talk station in a city with two professional teams. No competition, no need to strive to be the best.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Amazing that on the day when F/A begins, they can't rely on Koziol who does their post game show, Hamilton their so called beat reporter, or even some of the Instigator regulars(Peters, Biron, Rivet, etc...).

Instead, let's put guys in front of the mic, who are normally behind the scenes "producers/screeners".

The only time is was halfway decent was when they had Joe Yerdon from nhl.com in studio for about 1/2 hour.

This is what you get when you only have one sports talk station in a city with two professional teams. No competition, no need to strive to be the best.

God forbid someone being paid a full time salary to work 4 hours a day be asked to work a weekend in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad