OT: LOCAL COVID19 - PART II... Seriously, local only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Yet aren't reporting it that way still. More excuses more lies. More fabrications. People have had it.

Ask the question why wasn't this the way they did it in the first place.

Ottawa, does it, Etches said yesterday they count the people in hospital,due to Covid, not with Covid.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Ottawa, does it, Etches said yesterday they count the people in hospital,due to Covid, not with Covid.
Did she confirm that they have been counting it that way or that they would start ? I didn't hear the news conference, but my wife did and she used the word "start" when she relayed it to me last night.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Did she confirm that they have been counting it that way or that they would start ? I didn't hear the news conference, but my wife did and she used the word "start" when she relayed it to me last night.

Can’t remember, she said the hospital numbers for Ottawa, are due to Covid, not with Covid.
It sounded like it’s been that way for a while, the way she said it.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Then update it... It's very interesting to me. Only on this forum do I see mass voluntary compliance and no questioning what's happening. Everywhere else its being questioned. Only place in the world with lock downs right now is Canada. Even Australia with cases going up has moved out of lock downs. Every single person I know that travels then comes back is in absolute shock of what's happening here.
Can’t remember, she said the hospital numbers for Ottawa, are due to Covid, not with Covid.
It sounded like it’s been that way for a while, the way she said it.
Absolutely not my fiance works for the OTH. If they have changed it literally just happened. Sounds to me like you're making things up. This has literally been an on going discussion within the Hospital.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
Characteristics and Outcomes of Hospitalized Patients in South Africa During the COVID-19 Omicron Wave

According to data from South Africa, the length of stay decreased to a median of 3 days.

You also need to factor in vaccination status. So if half of those cases are vaccinated, you have an even smaller percentage that may need hospital care.

I fear that staff shortages will cause a bigger issue than admissions on their own. (That said, if enough people get this virus in a short amount of time, it will have an impact on our healthcare)
In the boxing world, there is a famous saying "by the time you see the punch, it is too late".

Covid is similar, by the time you guys see rising bed demand, it is too late.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
OPH has been using admitted due to Covid the whole time on their dashboard. Inside TOH and likely QCH and Montfort they include all patients with Covid.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
In the boxing world, there is a famous saying "by the time you see the punch, it is too late".

Covid is similar, by the time you guys see rising bed demand, it is too late.
Only in Ontario and Quebec but not the rest of the world? k

How much has that bed demand been effected by suicide attempts due to mental health or financial ruin? How many beds are taking by alcohol abuse or drugs? How many beds are taken by domestic abuse?

You know how many ICU beds are currently taken due to covid in Ottawa? Go to your front door look at the house across the street. Yup one house hold, 4 beds. There are over 300,000 houses in Ottawa. Just for reference.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012

A quick Google search would tell a different story. Just because other countries aren't putting in place restrictions (although I'm pretty sure many states have reimplemented mask mandates) doesn't mean there isn't an impact on healthcare.

UK has had hospital capacity issues, the States currently are having issues.

Now it's a matter of do we care or do we not.

However, I'm not sure the restrictions we are placing now will prevent any problem we may see in the coming weeks. GTA hospitals are calling code oranges due to significant staffing and capacity issues

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
"Wahh, it isn't my fault I don't want to take a safe vaccine that has proven to be the most effective tool we have! I'm going to participate in screwing everyone over cause Joe Rogan said I should"

And, the classic

"I want freedom to make choices but I also don't want other people telling me I'm an idiot"
I'm confused on your stance and obvious hatred towards the anti vaxx crowd. They are essentially barred from gyms, indoor entertainment venues, restaurants etc aren't they?

I haven't seen you question your own government on why these establishments have been locked down despite adhering to the rules and regulations of vaccine passports, social distancing, masks all the while only allowing vaccinated patrons to enter.

It's as though it's the simplest thing for you to blame from afar

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Then update it... It's very interesting to me. Only on this forum do I see mass voluntary compliance and no questioning what's happening. Everywhere else its being questioned. Only place in the world with lock downs right now is Canada. Even Australia with cases going up has moved out of lock downs. Every single person I know that travels then comes back is in absolute shock of what's happening here.

Absolutely not my fiance works for the OTH. If they have changed it literally just happened. Sounds to me like you're making things up. This has literally been an on going discussion within the Hospital.
Lmao, this came from Dr. Vera Etches mouth.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020

How much has that bed demand been effected by suicide attempts due to mental health or financial ruin? How many beds are taking by alcohol abuse or drugs? How many beds are taken by domestic abuse?

You know how many ICU beds are currently taken due to covid in Ottawa? Go to your front door look at the house across the street. Yup one house hold, 4 beds. There are over 300,000 houses in Ottawa. Just for reference.
There have been 5 covid waves in Canada. Each has been met with lockdowns and restrictions. Each has been with strict masking mandates and strict protocols.

We have yet to endure a wave without the above. And so, we have no idea what that may look like.

Nations that have gone through the eye of the storm have either been mascaraed or quickly reversed course and imposed harsh lockdowns. My personal view is, nations that opted for eye of the storm approach have also lied like bastards when it comes to deaths and general mayhem created by it. And the majority of these nations are chaotic third world nations or despotic nations.

And so, how do we, a moderate, dignified 1st world nation handle an eye of the storm approach? We will have no choice but to endure one some day soon. At this moment, we do not have the stomach to do so!

I personally believe that an eye of the storm approach could in a worst case scenario mean 10-20 K deaths and 20-40 K hospital demands. If this was in a 12 month year...GO..40 K beds is 3 K a month. It is 100 a day, well within capacity. But a wave is 30-45 days. Can you imagine 200-400 deaths a day and 400-800 hospital beds!!! As of today, we do not have the stomach for that. By Jan of 2023, we may very well be there.

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021

Let's look at the first 3 waves of COVID:

In your hypothetical "no-lockdown" world, the virus runs wild, overwhelming hospitals and killing thousands more directly and indirectly.

- what are the costs to small businesses?

- what are the mental costs to the general population?

HINT: they are worse.

Reactions: Laphroaig

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
Some good data from London..let's hope it sticks as Omicrons moves throught the 60+ group. Let's also remember that today's hospitals can't handle the peaks they dealt with previously. Fingers crossed we get through this by end of month.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008

So what are you really trying to suggest here?

That the Premier and all the global health care professionals urging caution are wrong? And you, a random sens fan with 2nd hand knowledge of a hospital and the opinions of friends, is correct?

That the WHO is wrong? Fauci is wrong? That the very complex and uncertain cost-benefit analysis behind the policy mitigation is not merely wrong but painfully obvious and trivial to anyone dating a hospital employee? That Average Joes questioning things online is somehow evidence in itself (sounds like the evidence trump tried to use to investigate election fraud, by the way)?

And worse, are you suggesting that perhaps all these public officials are either blindly incompetent or for some shadowy nebulous reason working against the public interest?

Do you realize how crazy that all sounds?

Try instead exercising a modicum of humility in a highly uncertain situation. The experts know there is uncertainty and they don't shy away from that.

Question subjective policy decisions if you'd like, and it's entirely possible that perhaps the modeling and some of the stats are wrong and we are all being too cautious here. The experts don't shy away from those possibilities and neither should we. That would be really nice news if it's true.

But don't downplay the hard choices people have to make by feigning such ferocious (and frankly ridiculous) certainty.

Reactions: Laphroaig

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
No Way to Grow Up

For the past two years, Americans have accepted more harm to children in exchange for less harm to adults.

Suicide attempts have risen, slightly among adolescent boys and sharply among adolescent girls. The number of E.R. visits for suspected suicide attempts by 12- to 17-year-old girls rose by 51 percent from early 2019 to early 2021, according to the C.D.C.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm confused on your stance and obvious hatred towards the anti vaxx crowd. They are essentially barred from gyms, indoor entertainment venues, restaurants etc aren't they?

I haven't seen you question your own government on why these establishments have been locked down despite adhering to the rules and regulations of vaccine passports, social distancing, masks all the while only allowing vaccinated patrons to enter.

It's as though it's the simplest thing for you to blame from afar

The government's priority is making sure hospitals don't get overrun. Who is putting most of the stress on the hospitals? The unvaxxed.

I didn't question the need for a lockdown when there was no vaccine. Now that there is one, a lockdown shouldn't be required but governments feel they have to because the unvaxxed represent a huge risk. I've questionned the government plenty but your ilk seem to think the only way to question the government is to not get vaxxed.

The unvaxxed want to eat their cake and have it but the real issue now is that governments are letting them get away with it. I'm all in favour of allowing people to choose, I just don't agree that all choices are equal. If you choose to be a burden then you should be treated as such.

The way health care system is administered is also a mess but we aren't supposed to get political.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I cannot imagine what it's like to be a school age child right now. Socialization has basically been suspended indefinitely.

The consequences will be felt for years and years to come.

People want to listen to experts. Well the experts are starting to speak much more loudly. The policy decisions we've made, primarily closing schools, have been catastrophic for kids.

An overwhelming toll: What America’s children have lost during the pandemic

Children born during pandemic have lower IQs, US study finds

Children born during the coronavirus pandemic have significantly reduced verbal, motor and overall cognitive performance compared with children born before, a US study suggests. The first few years of a child’s life are critical to their cognitive development. But with Covid-19 triggering the closure of businesses, nurseries, schools and playgrounds, life for infants changed considerably, with parents stressed and stretched as they tried to balance work and childcare.

The concern of politicians has been protecting their own cohort (adults aged 50+), and the priority of health leaders has been protecting their own interests and colleagues. Kids have been abandoned. I think in 10 years, we'll look back on many of these decisions and realize how incredibly selfish they were.

It's a shame kids don't have unions to call up reporters every day and scream about how rough things are for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Upgrayedd

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Hell I'm 37 and I've gone insane over this despite being able to keep my job.

The damage done to kids to make sure we don't hurt the feelings of the unvaxxed is depressing.

solidaritypucks

Oct 25, 2019
The government's priority is making sure hospitals don't get overrun. Who is putting most of the stress on the hospitals? The unvaxxed.

I didn't question the need for a lockdown when there was no vaccine. Now that there is one, a lockdown shouldn't be required but governments feel they have to because the unvaxxed represent a huge risk. I've questionned the government plenty but your ilk seem to think the only way to question the government is to not get vaxxed.

The unvaxxed want to eat their cake and have it but the real issue now is that governments are letting them get away with it. I'm all in favour of allowing people to choose, I just don't agree that all choices are equal. If you choose to be a burden then you should be treated as such.

The way health care system is administered is also a mess but we aren't supposed to get political.

Your minds single-track focus on how group X should be punished and made to suffer for their sins is a choice too. Thinking that many of our senior citizens filling hospitals are a 'burden' that needs to be 'treated as such' is flat out messed up. You are not some kind of god, stop inferring people you dislike are disposable. Do better.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
The consequences will be felt for years and years to come.

People want to listen to experts. Well the experts are starting to speak much more loudly. The policy decisions we've made, primarily closing schools, have been catastrophic for kids.

In fairness, I imagine the kids whose parents didn't die because of those policy measures are still in the black though.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
In fairness, I imagine the kids whose parents didn't die because of those policy measures are still in the black though.

What's the average age of parents who have kids between the ages of 0-17? 20-45? Parents were never a high-risk group, even in a pre-vaccinated world. But of course, there were tons of unknowns, so closing schools, temporarily, in March 2020, made sense.

Today? Vaccinated parents face a microscopic risk from Omicron. And yet, kids aren't in school and extra curricular activities have been cancelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad