Load Management

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I think it is an extremely bad idea until they lock in their playoff seeding. The schedule isn't even that crazy. They don't have a single back to back for the rest of the year. Most teams have a very similar remaining schedule since the season has 30 days left and every team has between 13 and 17 games remaining.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Next five ending with the Avs are a gauntlet. Last nine are easy street. They can manage their loads after Colorado.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
There should always be games to work in the 7D / 13F even without injury prompting it.

Late in the season, I would scale back 5v5 ice time for the top players to keep them fresh without scratching them. Really test the depth and still have PP1 always ready for a long shift.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

Priorae

Apr 21, 2017
New Jersey
I don’t understand load management. If Fox takes off 3 games does that super recharge him and make a mid20s guy become Superman? If that’s the case I know a bunch of lazy dudes that can probably stop a car with their bare hands.

If someone has an ailment or nagging injury they should 100% be over conservative, but otherwise I’ve never subscribed to the idea that a day off improved performance over the long term.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
If our top players actually deserved load management, sure. The only guy who deserves it is Panarin. Zibanejad, Kreider and Fox have load managed themselves for the whole season, at least it has looked like it.
I would add Trocheck to the list of guys that could use a game but these guys are pros and would never want them especially with a week off before the playoffs start . Kreider paces himself almost every shift. Zibs actually looks a bit braver and more engaged since he put on the bubble . Oh well...keep winning and hopefully these same guys can find an extra cog for the playoffs .

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I don’t understand load management. If Fox takes off 3 games does that super recharge him and make a mid20s guy become Superman? If that’s the case I know a bunch of lazy dudes that can probably stop a car with their bare hands.

If someone has an ailment or nagging injury they should 100% be over conservative, but otherwise I’ve never subscribed to the idea that a day off improved performance over the long term.
Yes. It would help the player recharge. You don't think additional rest helps a players performance? For the millionth time these players aren't robots. Rest matters. This team looked a lot better after the 5 days off than before and that helped them get through the 6 in 9 days shitshow. An 82 game marathon season is an absolute grind and those minutes played add up. Being smart about a players minutes and giving some rest when appropriate may help players and teams when the battles become even more intense in the playoffs.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I have never bought into this and never will.

Unless the player has a legitimate injury I ride everyone as normal.

Stay sharp and ready to play.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Their April is relatively easy on travel. That's the biggest thing. Homestand and and road games in UBS and Newark. A full week off from the end of their schedule and game 1.

Not saying you can't give someone a game or two after things are settled, but you don't need someone off for 2 weeks.

I'd rock their game 1 lineup the last game of the season and give the 3rd and 4th lines more time than normal.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Meh. The real question we should be asking is why we’ve got such a shitty schedule

We don't. We have 9 home games and 5 road games. Zero back to backs. Minimal travel except for one trip to Colorado/Arizona. Seems like one of the better remaining schedules to me. Our main competition, Carolina, also has 14 games left except they have two sets of back to backs, 8 games on the road, and finish up the season on a four game road trip.

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
Tro led forward ice time with 18 minutes. We were down a defender and Fox only played 21. In game load management until we are locked in to our spot.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Of course load management can help. Like everyone says, not like the nba which is a joke, but a judicious day off here and there would obviously help.

I am middle aged now and not an athlete anymore but I still lift, and periodically you need a “de-load” period. The specific program I follow, reverse pyramid training, requires more frequent de-loads than other programs, but in all cases what happens is that people who just keep going to the gym and banging iron hit a wall and cannot progress further. If you try to push through you start to go backwards. The body simply needs time to recuperate and reset.

(A de-load is a week where you intentionally dial back your workouts and take it easy.)

In lifting, this is because your muscles can keep growing forever, but your connective tissues and central nervous system become overloaded and need a break.

The CNS point holds across all athletic activity. Cross country running, lifting, baseball, tennis, etc. All athletes benefit from a periodic rest and reset of the CNS.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Hard to think about doing that when one point can be the difference between a first-round matchup against Detroit or against Tampa
I don’t want to play either of these teams. Tampa because they’re Tampa, and Detroit because I’ve been making fun of them all year.

• Haha
Reactions: Hunter Gathers

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I would like the President's Trophy because its a team accomplish this core hasn't gotten yet but its obviously not the primary goal. Home ice isnt going to make a difference in a series against Florida or Carolina because our fans will fill their buildings. I think the top guys should play limited minutes down the stretch. Call up Edstrom and Berard with 2 weeks left and rotate guys out if you want. I dont want Fox/Panarin/Trocheck/etc. killing themselves right before playoffs start.

Also hoping Lindgren's injury is not season ending. As long he has all his ligaments intact, I dont expect he will miss much time. Has been playing his best hockey of the season. Fingers crossed

Reactions: HolyHagelin

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
We don't. We have 9 home games and 5 road games. Zero back to backs. Minimal travel except for one trip to Colorado/Arizona. Seems like one of the better remaining schedules to me. Our main competition, Carolina, also has 14 games left except they have two sets of back to backs, 8 games on the road, and finish up the season on a four game road trip.
Oh, I was less than clear - the run home is great, up to now it's been shitty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad