LIV Golf: the line that pro sports has crossed that will be its demise?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The fantasy is thinking that LIV's business model is anywhere close to being sustainable.
This current model to establish a new Tour is one that will almost certainly change if they can establish a solid Tour structure.

not sure that this is any different in concept to any entity trying to break into a certain industry or business vertical, where massive investment is needed initially.

Reactions: J T Money

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
This current model to establish a new Tour is one that will almost certainly change if they can establish a solid Tour structure.

not sure that this is any different in concept to any entity trying to break into a certain industry or business vertical, where massive investment is needed initially.

The current model is to throw as much money as needed to meet a political agenda.

Reactions: PBandJ

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You think throwing ten times (a conservative estimate) the amount of money into tournaments that the PGA Tour throws into theirs is normal "business" practice, I don't know what to tell you.
And yet….look the PGA Tour just massively boosted prize money….partial mission accomplished….

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
And yet….look the PGA Tour just massively boosted prize money….partial mission accomplished….

Whose mission are you referring to?

And what the PGA Tour did was give more money to the top players likely at the cost of the lower tier players. I don't give a shit about what the PGA Tour does business-wise. That, in a vacuum, is a separate discussion.

What golf fans (and all sports fans) should care about is the top players playing in glorified exhibitions vs. the top competitive league the sport can offer.

Reactions: KapG

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
The fantasy is thinking that LIV's business model is anywhere close to being sustainable.

Their business model is more sustainable than the PGA’s. The dividends alone from the Public Investment Fund covers the entire LIV costs and some.

PGA relying on ad revenue and ticket sales while their league dwindles into obscurity is a bad business model.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Their business model is more sustainable than the PGA’s. The dividends alone from the Public Investment Fund covers the entire LIV costs and some.

PGA relying on ad revenue and ticket sales while their league dwindles into obscurity is a bad business model.

Obviously referring to LIV's business model on it's own standing.

You could run a burping competition as a "sustainable" pro sport if it's expenses were covered by an independent investment fund.

Reactions: PBandJ and KapG

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Obviously referring to LIV's business model on it's own standing.

You could run a burping competition as a "sustainable" pro sport if it's expenses were covered by an independent investment fund.
It’s no different than starting a restaurant. It’s an investment and you hope the ROI pays off. With LIV, they will be a loss leader for a decent amount of time but the PIF won’t lose a dime.

They recognized this prior to starting it and still went through with it as a means of diversifying the holdings (no different than people buying professional sports teams etc).

Whether it becomes successful and turns a healthy profit or it continues to be a money pit and they cancel is a much different story.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
It’s no different than starting a restaurant. It’s an investment and you hope the ROI pays off. With LIV, they will be a loss leader for a decent amount of time but the PIF won’t lose a dime.

They recognized this prior to starting it and still went through with it as a means of diversifying the holdings (no different than people buying professional sports teams etc).

Whether it becomes successful and turns a healthy profit or it continues to be a money pit and they cancel is a much different story.

Restaurants aren't usually launched by undercutting their competition by selling the same food for 50% less.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Restaurants aren't usually launched by undercutting their competition by selling the same food for 50% less.

You’ve stated dozens of times that it isn’t the same product of the PGA Tour…and how exactly are they selling the same thing at a 50% discount?

The restaurant comparison is one where you start the business knowing full well you wont be profitable immediately (unless you get extremely lucky), so you eat the losses as a means to grow popularity and become profitable in the future.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
little late on this was at the cottage all weekend. but PGA ever going to stop these guys from going over?

Winning in the PGA soon wont even be that impressive since it's not the worlds best vs the worlds best anymore
Im looking forward to the upcoming LIV vs PGA matchups that eventually will happen because LIV isn't going anywhere. strap your self in PGA fans it's prob only going to get worse from here.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
little late on this was at the cottage all weekend. but PGA ever going to stop these guys from going over?

Winning in the PGA soon wont even be that impressive since it's not the worlds best vs the worlds best anymore
Im looking forward to the upcoming LIV vs PGA matchups that eventually will happen because LIV isn't going anywhere. strap your self in PGA fans it's prob only going to get worse from here.

Maybe they could align with one of Saudi Arabia's neighbors. Obviously putting out a popular pro sport product that operates under normal market conditions is a terrible strategy.

Fingers crossed that all other North American sports will follow LIV's model and poach the world's best athletes to play in glorified exhibitions.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Maybe they could align with one of Saudi Arabia's neighbors. Obviously putting out a popular pro sport product that operates under normal market conditions is a terrible strategy.

Fingers crossed that all other North American sports will follow LIV's model and poach the world's best athletes to play in glorified exhibitions.
alot of money to build a new league and populate it with enough teams to even spark players interest. thats also alot of players to pay. Maybe one day but I highly doubt it.

Relax dude the bigger LIV gets just means they will at some point make a deal, merge or something, Im sure there would have to be a restructure of LIV. either way the more it grows will just mean more Golf.

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015
Watered down events like the Ryder Cup, the Players and possibly the majors is horrendous for golf. LIV had the opportunity to be intriguing by playing international courses with a team aspect, but the 54 hole shotgun format is a non starter for almost every single golf fan. I don’t know a single person who intends on watching LIV, and losing significant star power on the PGA will hurt as well. LIV has potential as a rival tour if done properly but if they don’t adjust I can’t see golf fans embracing it whatsoever

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
alot of money to build a new league and populate it with enough teams to even spark players interest. thats also alot of players to pay. Maybe one day but I highly doubt it.

Relax dude the bigger LIV gets just means they will at some point make a deal, merge or something, Im sure there would have to be a restructure of LIV. either way the more it grows will just mean more Golf.

You aren’t paying attention if you think a “merger” is happening. There can only be one King. Saudi’s aren’t giving away all this money to end up with the PGA logo anywhere.

And in no way is this growing golf, if anything it’s turning golf into boxing with so many titles and belts and tournaments nobody can track and everyone ends up a loser. (Well except all the guys that got paid in advance by LIV)

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
You aren’t paying attention if you think a “merger” is happening. There can only be one King. Saudi’s aren’t giving away all this money to end up with the PGA logo anywhere.

And in no way is this growing golf, if anything it’s turning golf into boxing with so many titles and belts and tournaments nobody can track and everyone ends up a loser. (Well except all the guys that got paid in advance by LIV)
only time will tell my friend.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
With all the top talent bailing from the PGA, it’ll soon be a minor league feeder system for LIV.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Watered down events like the Ryder Cup, the Players and possibly the majors is horrendous for golf. LIV had the opportunity to be intriguing by playing international courses with a team aspect, but the 54 hole shotgun format is a non starter for almost every single golf fan. I don’t know a single person who intends on watching LIV, and losing significant star power on the PGA will hurt as well. LIV has potential as a rival tour if done properly but if they don’t adjust I can’t see golf fans embracing it whatsoever

A lot of folks won't be embracing it given the source of funding to say nothing of the actual LIV format.

For the sake of pro sports keeping some semblance of "true competition" and not selling out 100% commercially, I hope LIV falls flat on its face.

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015
A lot of folks won't be embracing it given the source of funding to say nothing of the actual LIV format.

For the sake of pro sports keeping some semblance of "true competition" and not selling out 100% commercially, I hope LIV falls flat on its face.
I 100% agree. I personally stay away from the funding from Saudi argument, because half these guys are sponsored by Nike who’ve had human rights issues themselves, and the tour does business in China, plus Saudi Arabia is large trading partner for the USA, therefore I don’t find that argument overly strong as an opposition to LIV. But I’m with you, I’m hope LIV fails spectacularly

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB

The US PGA, which is the one really leading the drive here, is trying to play for time. They're hoping that the small "changes" will somehow allow them the time in order for LIVs backers to get tired and pull stakes.

The problem lies with the other PGA Tours deciding if they can hold out. They've already lost a lot to the US PGA and they can easily make deals with LIV that are to its benefit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad