Little Caesers Arena Thread II - Safety Mesh and an Ugly Roof

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
And they can't use nitrogen instead of hydrogen/methane/propane/whatever it runs on? Or, if it's a combustion-specific mechanism, to find another (less hazardous) fuel? Seems like there would be several engineers in this town that would be happy to tackle that problem.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
And they can't use nitrogen instead of hydrogen/methane/propane/whatever it runs on? Or, if it's a combustion-specific mechanism, to find another (less hazardous) fuel? Seems like there would be several engineers in this town that would be happy to tackle that problem.
The change in gas would change the pitch and thus, make everyone complain.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Hmm, never knew that little tidbit about the horn. Real shame it can't be brought in, though.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
For more info on the horn:

Very interesting read, thanks for this. If they can't get something very close to the original horn up and running, perhaps it would just be best to go for a new sound all together. It would probably be a better alternative than a very limp sounding Joe-esque horn.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The change in gas would change the pitch and thus, make everyone complain.
Fair enough, but they could always alter the chamber or flow rate or other parameters to try and compensate. I'm not saying it would be a piece of cake, but it's not like they just became aware of the situation this month. Rather than take the cop-out of a recording, it would've been much cooler to learn that a team of engineers and scientists found a way to save the old horn, and bring it up to code for the new barn in time for the first games of the season.

Maybe they still find a way. We'll see.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
How about the boards? Has anything been said if they are trying (or want) to replicate the "active" boards from the Joe? Or, for that matter, if they do want the active boards is there a reason they did or didn't just bring the old boards with them?

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
They couldn't use the old boards due to new nhl standards

Much like they couldnt use the old horn

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
They are lively boards, just not as lively.
Defenseman Mike Green said the team is starting to grow accustomed to its new home, including the many quirks and nuances that come with each rink (the team apparently rimmed a bunch of shots along the end boards as a way to test out the bounces they may encounter during live-game action).
“By now, we do,” Green said of whether the Red Wings were beginning to feel comfortable with the many seams that could prompt an unexpected carom. “The boards are pretty lively. I wouldn’t say as much as the Joe, but the puck still comes off the boards hard.”

-The Athletic

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Apparently, the crowd moved from the stands to check out the building and surrounding areas during the game LOL

Yeah the place is a bit overwhelming when you first get in there. I'm sure over time people will get used to the new digs. It's laid out like no other arena in sports. I mean they have every inch covered to keep you in game outside the stands.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Hi HFWings. I was wondering how everyone around here is liking the new arena. Rumor has it that our new one is going to be modeled after LCA, so I wanted to get some feedback. Thanks!

jz78817

Nov 25, 2017
Fair enough, but they could always alter the chamber or flow rate or other parameters to try and compensate. I'm not saying it would be a piece of cake, but it's not like they just became aware of the situation this month. Rather than take the cop-out of a recording, it would've been much cooler to learn that a team of engineers and scientists found a way to save the old horn, and bring it up to code for the new barn in time for the first games of the season.

Maybe they still find a way. We'll see.

I think it's a BS story, and the real reason is they only have three sets of horns at the Joe and can't get any more. They're seriously old Buell ship horns which I think haven't been made for decades. I have a set myself and they sound no different on compressed air than they do nitrogen (given air is 78% nitrogen anyway) or whatever they were supplying them with at the Joe. and the way they were designed means they need a lot of gas flow.

TL;DR: they don't have enough and can't get any more, so they wouldn't be very loud at LCA.

done.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Hi HFWings. I was wondering how everyone around here is liking the new arena. Rumor has it that our new one is going to be modeled after LCA, so I wanted to get some feedback. Thanks!

I like it. I liked the Joe better and I don't think the LCA will ever capture that atmosphere, but that goes with any new arena.

If you're someone who cares about the concourses and stuff you'll be happy. The seating is pretty awesome too. Haven't checked out the gandolas yet. Nothing much to complain about.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I like it. I liked the Joe better and I don't think the LCA will ever capture that atmosphere, but that goes with any new arena.

If you're someone who cares about the concourses and stuff you'll be happy. The seating is pretty awesome too. Haven't checked out the gandolas yet. Nothing much to complain about.
I care about atmosphere a lot, but we went from one of the best to the absolute worst. Barclays is a morgue, so anything will be better than that. Thanks for the feedback.

Reactions: mantha39

jz78817

Nov 25, 2017
Well, compared to the Joe:

• you're not packed like sardines trying to get through the concourse after the game. and yes, I've been there for games when the place was nearly full.
  • The main arena lighting is all LED so they can turn them off, up, down, on at will. no more waiting 10 minutes for metal halide lights to cool off enough to re-start
  • the facility PA/sound system and acoustics are very well designed.
  • there's **** to do and see in the concourses; 3 or 4 sit-down restaurants and a big team store
  • the outside concourse is open to the public, so you can watch stuff on the big screen in the Chevrolet plaza w/o needing a ticket
  • if you're in the mezzanine or upper level, the 2nd floor concourse is a dupe of the first so you don't need to go up and down stairs/escalators if you don't want to
  • much more appropriate number of restroom facilities
  • the new organ is pretty neat, and during the intermissions the organist on duty will give a brief performance on the scoreboard. Stuff like the Phantom of the Opera theme, or the Cantina song from Star Wars.
On the down side:
  • concession prices are insane. eat somewhere else before the game and take their shuttle if they have one
  • the "portal" system for getting from the concourse to the seats might have seemed like a good idea at the time, but they're "choke points" during a game. you have to wait at the portal to get back to your seat while the puck is in play, so if you're trying to get back right after the start of the period good luck.
  • the escalators between the 1st and 2nd level concourses only go up until the start of the 3rd period, so if you do need to get back down to the first floor you need to find the elevators or stairwells.
worth noting that the place isn't finished yet. as of two weeks ago the offices which are going to occupy the outer brick building portions were still mostly framing with some drywall hung. Olympia is still using the Joe for its corporate offices which is why it's still standing. they're supposed to move over after the first of the year, but we'll see.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Hey guys, coming in later in the week for the game Friday night. Quick question, are there any restrictions in terms of where you can go down by the glass for warmups? Wasn't sure what the protocol was with the new arena for that.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Hey guys, coming in later in the week for the game Friday night. Quick question, are there any restrictions in terms of where you can go down by the glass for warmups? Wasn't sure what the protocol was with the new arena for that.
If you don't have a ticket they are likely going to bar you from going to the front row to watch warmups, at least on the Wings side. Not sure if they are more lenient for the away side. If they aren't, that would be a dick move on LCA's part.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad