Line Combos: Lines you'd like to see tried out in pre season?

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
From what I've seen of them I'd love to see a line of Burakovsky-Kuzya-Wilson in pre season (I know Wilson is injured and probably won't play much pre season, if any!)

I think it's a good combination of Sniper-Playmaker-Powerforward. And yes I do think real life is just like NHL 05 and the chemistry will make them all +2 stats.

Are there any line combinations you guys think would work especially well? When people post whole lineups there seem to be one or two good lines then the rest just in as placeholders so people always pick up on the bad parts.

Chimera-Latta-Ward OR Chimera-Stephenson-Ward would also be very interesting to watch.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I also would like to see Vrana - Burakovsky - Wilson tried, as well as getting a look at Bowey and/or Carrick on the point of the PP.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Ovechkin - Backstrom - Ward
Ovechkin - Backstrom - Fehr
burakovsky-kuznetsov-wilson
:nod:

top 6 of
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Fehr
Chimera-Kuznetzov-Ward
:shakehead

If Chimera and Ward continue to play near their last year level, you can stick almost any rookie between them and he'll be fine, so I'd better use them as a good 3rd line than as a bad 2nd line.

If we just talk about trying,

Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Brouwer (ready or not, you can't say whether the player will be a real top 6, if you never try him on the 1st line).
Fehr - Backstrom - Wilson (a very hard line to play against, and Wilson needs a line where he'll be a powerforward, not an enforcer).

ChibiPooky, why did you delete your post?

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Deleted because that's what I want to see in the regular season. I'd be shocked if all 12 starting forwards dress for any preseason game.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
:shakehead

If Chimera and Ward continue to play near their last year level, you can stick almost any rookie between them and he'll be fine, so I'd better use them as a good 3rd line than as a bad 2nd line.
That's a silly gripe.

Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Brouwer (ready or not, you can't say whether the player will be a real top 6, if you never try him on the 1st line).
First off, you can certainly say a player isn't a "real top 6 player" wihtout playing him on the first line. Did we really need to stick Beagle there last season to see that he wasn't a top six player? :laugh:

Secondly, and more importantly, we've seen Brouwer with Backstrom and Ovechkin before. That's where he started during his first season in Washington. That line sucked. There's a reason that Johansson ended up with Ovie and Backstrom that season (once Backstrom return from his concussion), and that's because the line wasn't working with Brouwer there. Granted, it's been a couple years so it may be worth trying again, but saying he's never been there before is plain incorrect.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
That's a silly gripe.

First off, you can certainly say a player isn't a "real top 6 player" wihtout playing him on the first line. Did we really need to stick Beagle there last season to see that he wasn't a top six player? :laugh:

Secondly, and more importantly, we've seen Brouwer with Backstrom and Ovechkin before. That's where he started during his first season in Washington. That line sucked. There's a reason that Johansson ended up with Ovie and Backstrom that season (once Backstrom return from his concussion), and that's because the line wasn't working with Brouwer there. Granted, it's been a couple years so it may be worth trying again, but saying he's never been there before is plain incorrect.

It's taken Backstrom quite a while to really recover from his concussion in terms of on-ice play. Brouwer is also a different player than he was then. I wouldn't rule it out necessarily because of those games under a different coach. Short leash sure, but might as well give it a shot.

Halpysback*

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Fehr - give Fehr a solid chance to become our utility winger
Burakovsky-Kuznetsov-Wilson - the kid line - would be the sparkplug line of the team
Chimera Johansson-Brouwer - speed kills
Laich - Latta - Ward - shutdown line

Alzner-Carlson - self explanatory
Hillen-Green - had chemistry
Orpik-Niskanen - shelter them for now

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It's taken Backstrom quite a while to really recover from his concussion in terms of on-ice play. Brouwer is also a different player than he was then. I wouldn't rule it out necessarily because of those games under a different coach. Short leash sure, but might as well give it a shot.

I'm not ruling it out, just pointing out that the statement that Brouwer hasn't been on the top line is objectively false. He also saw some time with Nicky and Ovie before the concussion, as well. Knuble wasn't on the top line for long that season.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow

I thought it was pretty obvious I was talking about Kuznetsov, not Brouwer.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Hopefully different lines all the time...

Under Oates last year the top 6 stayed the same throughout the preseason and the only reason the bottom 6 changed at all was because of how many players were at camp.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I thought it was pretty obvious I was talking about Kuznetsov, not Brouwer.

Considering there's a contingent here who proclaim that Brouwer isn't a top six player (or is a "borderline top six" player), and nobody is saying that about Kuznetsov, how would that be obvious at all?

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Considering there's a contingent here who proclaim that Brouwer isn't a top six player (or is a "borderline top six" player), and nobody is saying that about Kuznetsov, how would that be obvious at all?

I mean you did just spend multiple posts arguing against the obviousness of the statement for Brouwer. For the record, I thought he meant Brouwer as well, but going back, the Ready or Not qualifier does make it seem like something totally new, like putting the kid up there at center.

Last edited:

Halpysback*

The only thing I want to see Hillen do is fall of the Earth.

He actually has a semblance of puck poise in his end and transition game. Orlov is injured. Only other decent LD we have is Schmidt and Hillen is better as far as being Green's partner.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Something with Ovi and Backstrom apart, if not, give Fehr another look.
A line with Ovi & Wilson, just for kicks.
Chimera-Kuz-Ward could be nice, if Kuz can fit in. Would put him in the middle of the action without instant top-6 pressure.
Anything with Grabovski! Goddamit...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad