Lines shifted again (12/30) Richards up, Stoll down

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
No GDT so...anyway, the lines shifted slightly in practice today, RIchie is back on the 2nd.

Jon Rosen ‏@lakingsinsider 3m Richards centering Brown/Williams, and Stoll centering Lewis/Toffoli during line rushes.

I actually like Richards with JW and I think for tonight, where this team has to get 2, it's a good move.

and

Jon Rosen ‏@lakingsinsider 11m Sutter acknowledged the team is leaning towards using seven defensemen tonight.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
No GDT so...anyway, the lines shifted slightly in practice today, RIchie is back on the 2nd.

Jon Rosen ‏@lakingsinsider 3m Richards centering Brown/Williams, and Stoll centering Lewis/Toffoli during line rushes.

I actually like Richards with JW and I think for tonight, where this team has to get 2, it's a good move.

I like it. Poor Toffoli though :laugh:

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It'll toughen up his mettle. Sort of like what grunts go thru in boot camp. Someday he'll appreciate these rought times....LOL

Bahaha.

I will say though he's fully a King now. Watching the guy play away from the puck the last few games, and making safe plays out of the zone...he's been fantastic in learning that stuff on the job. He's not flawless, but soooo much hockey IQ. But I can't see him putting up many points on that line. He really needs a playmaker who can carry the puck (Kopi, Richards, Vey).

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Bahaha.

I will say though he's fully a King now. Watching the guy play away from the puck the last few games, and making safe plays out of the zone...he's been fantastic in learning that stuff on the job. He's not flawless, but soooo much hockey IQ. But I can't see him putting up many points on that line. He really needs a playmaker who can carry the puck (Kopi, Richards, Vey).

Agree, he's really going to be a good 2 way player. But adjusting to the NHL takes time, understandbly, which is why most players 'breakout' year is the 3rd year. There are so many parts of the game to learn, to adjust to the NHL level and the speed, and it's such that fast pace that one mistake can cost the team. That's why usually they get sheltered minutes the first year and gradually move up. It's funny how some players make the transition easier than others and some never live up to their Junior billing.
TT has a very bright future but with all young players, it takes time and a lot of patience.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
****ing Lewis. That line is garbage. Fully expecting a loss tonight.

Happy Monday to you too, Rec ;)

I'm not expecting much out of it but it's a problem I alluded to in the other thread--almost any configuration of those 7 players is fantastic (Kopi, Carter, Williams, Brown, Richards, Toffoli, and this year King), but whoever gets the "other" players on the third line it usually makes that line ineffective. We have 2.5 solid lines. If we can ever solve that, either via LW/other trade/callup, I think we're sitting pretty.

In the meantime, whoever those "other" 3rd liners are are going to get trashed a la Derek Armstrong playing on the 2nd line.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
****ing Lewis. That line is garbage. Fully expecting a loss tonight.

I had the opposite reaction. I think in a game that the Kings need to win, esp coming off 2 losses with Dallas tomorrow night, this is a good move. Richards is better and much smarter player than Stoll and always plays well with Williams. Having him there should increase their scoring ops. His lack of production is tied to the fact he's playing sheltered minutes with a rookie and nothing on LW. This will at least give him 2 top 6 veteran players to feed off of.
TT will survive fine, he's young and adjusting to game situations is part of his growth process.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I wonder how far away we are from

Brown/Kopitar/Williams

King/Richie/Carter

again. I mean at least we are seeing our true top 6 (for this season) somewhat back together. Now all we need is for Lewis to go back to the 4rth line and we are set.

By the end of the season we will need to address one way or the other our legit need for a truly capable LW. Clifford or Lewis or whoever either has to be given the time to lock the spot down or we need to get (or call up) someone who can and give them the time to do so.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Y'know what's puzzling to me? The Kings were doing just fine with Lewis out of the lineup. Now that he's back, it's like having another anchor to reduce the offense and the amount of chances his line generates when they are on the ice.

They seriously need to get Vey back as well. Watched highlights of last night and he is just too damn good to be in the minors.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Y'know what's puzzling to me? The Kings were doing just fine with Lewis out of the lineup. Now that he's back, it's like having another anchor to reduce the offense and the amount of chances his line generates when they are on the ice.

They seriously need to get Vey back as well. Watched highlights of last night and he is just too damn good to be in the minors.

This just seems so obvious that I can't understand why we haven't done something about it other than that we are trying to give Lewis time to prove himself or get his game back or something along those lines because we have proven that we are team that plays much better when we have our best payers out there.

Vey back in and we at the very least have a talented/solid C for our 4rth line for Nolan and Clifford to work with.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

I miss Vey, I thought he got better with every shift and he was used in some tricky game situations. Maybe if they are trying to work a trade and Clifford is one o fthe pieces going, Vey will be brought back. I hope so, he really was confident on both sides of the puck in all 3 zones and had good hockey sense.

And nobody but Sutter who has some kind of built in bat vision, can see Lewis as productive.
He's a good fit on the 4th line, no higher.

Nefarious

Classless Doty
Jun 27, 2006
King's Landing

:nod: Totally agree.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
I miss Vey, I thought he got better with every shift and he was used in some tricky game situations. Maybe if they are trying to work a trade and Clifford is one o fthe pieces going, Vey will be brought back. I hope so, he really was confident on both sides of the puck in all 3 zones and had good hockey sense.

And nobody but Sutter who has some kind of built in bat vision, can see Lewis as productive.
He's a good fit on the 4th line, no higher.

Come on now, you've followed hockey for awhile, you know it's just matter of moving couple of pieces. We just need to be patient is all.

A lot easier said than done sometimes, but you know it's true.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This just seems so obvious that I can't understand why we haven't done something about it other than that we are trying to give Lewis time to prove himself or get his game back or something along those lines because we have proven that we are team that plays much better when we have our best payers out there.

Vey back in and we at the very least have a talented/solid C for our 4rth line for Nolan and Clifford to work with.

It's gotta just be a number game, imo. Vey doesn't need to pass through waivers and that's about it. We'll see him by the trade deadline at the latest.

That being said, as much as I want him in the lineup, Vey still has quite a bit to learn, and he's the first Kings forward in a long time that I thought looked absolutely lost on the PK more than once (not because he's dumb, but rather learning curve/chemistry etc.).

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Not impressed.... really not impressed.... Oh wait just remembered my friend hooked me up with some Tito's Vodka!!! I no longer have to deal with DL running half the season without a LW I can fix the problem by just getting drunk so it's just funny when the Kings keep dropping in the standings!!!

New drinking game!!! Shots every time Lewis misses the net!!! Double if it's on a breakaway!

I'd throw in flubs a pass too, but that may result in a trip to the hospital.

Edit: Can't Carcillo play LW? Where's that guy at?

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I wonder how far away we are from

Brown/Kopitar/Williams

King/Richie/Carter

again. I mean at least we are seeing our true top 6 (for this season) somewhat back together. Now all we need is for Lewis to go back to the 4rth line and we are set.

By the end of the season we will need to address one way or the other our legit need for a truly capable LW. Clifford or Lewis or whoever either has to be given the time to lock the spot down or we need to get (or call up) someone who can and give them the time to do so.

Yes, Lewis back to the 4th line! I like your first 2 lines.

Brown/Kopitar/Williams
King/Richie/Carter

3rd and 4th:

Pearson Stoll Toffoli
Clifford Lewis Nolan

santiclaws

May 19, 2005
It's gotta just be a number game, imo. Vey doesn't need to pass through waivers and that's about it. We'll see him by the trade deadline at the latest.

That being said, as much as I want him in the lineup, Vey still has quite a bit to learn, and he's the first Kings forward in a long time that I thought looked absolutely lost on the PK more than once (not because he's dumb, but rather learning curve/chemistry etc.).

He's looked lost quite a bit in his own zone in general. And we all know how much Sutter loves that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad