Line Combos: Lines 15/16

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
So now that the 7 are set what is the consensus for pairings?

19-27
6-22
4-55

?

Or is Bortuzzo gonna start over one of the rookies? I'm sure Bortuzzo will get some games but I would think the two rookies should get more regular playing time

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
So now that the 7 are set what is the consensus for pairings?

19-27
6-22
4-55

?

Or is Bortuzzo gonna start over one of the rookies? I'm sure Bortuzzo will get some games but I would think the two rookies should get more regular playing time
Yeah the Blues aren't gonna be sitting the rookies. If there's one thing the Blues have been good about, it's making sure the young guys are playing wherever they are. Lindbohm and Rattie being prime recent examples. If they're not gonna play here, they just get sent down.

The pairings seem pretty fluid. What you listed is what I would start with, but really anything could work. Bouwmeester could see some time with Parayko and hell, even the rookies could potentially play together some games. I think you can match any of the righties with any of the lefites and have good pairings.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I think Parayko could be a pretty big boost to the 2nd PP unit. Shattenkirk-Steen has worked very well, but Pietrangelo-whoever has been a lot less effective. With Parayko-Pietrangelo, even though they are both rightys it gives a clear shooter and lets Pietrangelo do what he's best at: create space and set up chances, while removing from him the duty that he is not so great at (shooting)

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I think Parayko could be a pretty big boost to the 2nd PP unit. Shattenkirk-Steen has worked very well, but Pietrangelo-whoever has been a lot less effective. With Parayko-Pietrangelo, even though they are both rightys it gives a clear shooter and lets Pietrangelo do what he's best at: create space and set up chances, while removing from him the duty that he is not so great at (shooting)
I'm just worried that Parayko's 100+ mph bomb just won't match the effectiveness of Bouwmeester's slap pass. I mean that's a serious downgrade and it just won't put the fear into our opponents anymore. Hopefully Parayko learns quickly that you can't score goals by firing rockets, you need to aim passes 20 feet wide of the net.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I'm just worried that Parayko's 100+ mph bomb just won't match the effectiveness of Bouwmeester's slap pass. I mean that's a serious downgrade and it just won't put the fear into our opponents anymore. Hopefully Parayko learns quickly that you can't score goals by firing rockets, you need to aim passes 20 feet wide of the net.

wait that's actually a good point. I mean when has a Parayko clap-bomb singlehandedly defeated the greatest country ever? Never, that's when.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
wait that's actually a good point. I mean when has a Parayko clap-bomb singlehandedly defeated the greatest country ever? Never, that's when.
And it's not a coincidence that Bouwmeester took last year off to spend time teaching Tarasenko how to score. And look what happened. Tarasenko is lucky someone on this team knows what they're doing.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
Absolutely :yo:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Parako and Petro play the point on the pp this season.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
I'll explain why i rather see Fabbri over Jaskin with Schwartz and Lehtera. Fabbri is the better offensive player and much more similar to Tarasenko play-wise than Jaskin is. And we all know "STL" was good composed. While Jaskin is a good power forward, he is not a natural scorer and lacks some smartness and passing. I don't think he would be a great fit with Schwartz and Lehtera. Sure, it wouldn't be bad but not great either. He fits a lot better on the third with Backes and Brouwer, they all play reckless and will be a heavy line. And i also think that Fabbri would not be a good fit with Backes and Brouwer. They won't be able to maintain pressure in the offensive zone and play give and go.

I don't agree with idea of moving Jaskin up but I also do not like the lines being posted.
IMO the best lines to run with are Schwartz-Backes-Fabbri; Jaskin-Lehtera-Brouwer.

1- IMO people assume that there was real chemistry between Lehtera and Schwartz. I know the STL line worked as a whole, but I have serious questions about how much of that was because of Lehtera/Tarasenko and how much was Schwartz. Given how easily Steen transitioned to that line, I question if there is any real chemistry between Schwartz and Lehtera at all.

2- Fabbri is more of a Tarasenko type, but at the same time he is still undersized for the NHL game. My natural leaning right now is to give him some kind of protection in the form of Backes or Brouwer on his line(not both, he still needs somebody to feed him passes).

The BFS line is one we rolled with in camp before Lehtera came back, and IMO it's the best #2 line we can roll with. I honestly don't know why Hitch got it in his head to split them up. It is a classic playmaker/sniper/power forward setup, Schwartz/Backes give you a great defensive base for the line and Backes' physical play should give both his linemates some measure of protection(which they could both use given that they are under-sized by NHL standards).

3- Jaskin IS a goal scorer. He was pacing for a 20 goal season last year, and that was before putting massive work in to upgrade his skating. IMO Jaskin is capable of putting up Simmonds/Saad type numbers, but he needs somebody to get him the puck.

Brouwer is essentially the same deal. He is a garbage goal collector and needs somebody to get the puck to the garbage area's.

I love Backes, but that is not even remotely his game. He is essentially just a better version of the same mold.
IMO if you use JBB as a line you aren't going to get any meaningful offensive production. Just a lot of physical play with nothing real to show for it.

4- Lehtera needs some finishers to work with and he's not exactly a "gritty" player. Putting him with 2 huge, physical goal scorers will give him time and space to work with and he can make some brilliant passes if he has any kind of time. Jaskin is a very good possession player for Lehtera to cycle with and both Jaskin and Brouwer could capitalize of the kind of chances Lehtera can create.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I saw a good amount of chemistry between Lehterä and Schwartz last year...is it Lehteräsenko level...no.

RR10*

I saw a good amount of chemistry between Lehterä and Schwartz last year...is it Lehteräsenko level...no.
Me too. At times I thought Schwartz and Lehtera had better chemistry than Lehtera and Tarasenko. I think "kimzey59" is overthinking a bit here. Schwartz - Backes - Fabbri is meh. I think both Schwartz and Fabbri needs a smarter center/playmaker that can pass the puck and play give and go. It reminds me a lot about STL: Schwartz - Lehtera - Tarasenko (Fabbri).

RR10*

3- Jaskin IS a goal scorer.
No. Jaskin is not a goal scorer. Not yet at least. He is more of a power/two-way forward rather than a natural goal scorer. He had 4 goals in 18 AHL games. 0 goals in 6 playoff games with the Blues. That's not a goal scorer if you ask me. By watching him play you can clearly see he isn't a goal scorer type. He could be in a couple of years if he develops his game. But right now he is more of a hard worker that puts up some goals here and there.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
No. Jaskin is not a goal scorer. Not yet at least. He is more of a power/two-way forward rather than a natural goal scorer. He had 4 goals in 18 AHL games. 0 goals in 6 playoff games with the Blues. That's not a goal scorer if you ask me. By watching him play you can clearly see he isn't a goal scorer type. He could be in a couple of years if he develops his game. But right now he is more of a hard worker that puts up some goals here and there.

I find your lack of sample size disturbing

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I don't agree with idea of moving Jaskin up but I also do not like the lines being posted.
IMO the best lines to run with are Schwartz-Backes-Fabbri; Jaskin-Lehtera-Brouwer.

1- IMO people assume that there was real chemistry between Lehtera and Schwartz. I know the STL line worked as a whole, but I have serious questions about how much of that was because of Lehtera/Tarasenko and how much was Schwartz. Given how easily Steen transitioned to that line, I question if there is any real chemistry between Schwartz and Lehtera at all.

2- Fabbri is more of a Tarasenko type, but at the same time he is still undersized for the NHL game. My natural leaning right now is to give him some kind of protection in the form of Backes or Brouwer on his line(not both, he still needs somebody to feed him passes).

The BFS line is one we rolled with in camp before Lehtera came back, and IMO it's the best #2 line we can roll with. I honestly don't know why Hitch got it in his head to split them up. It is a classic playmaker/sniper/power forward setup, Schwartz/Backes give you a great defensive base for the line and Backes' physical play should give both his linemates some measure of protection(which they could both use given that they are under-sized by NHL standards).

3- Jaskin IS a goal scorer. He was pacing for a 20 goal season last year, and that was before putting massive work in to upgrade his skating. IMO Jaskin is capable of putting up Simmonds/Saad type numbers, but he needs somebody to get him the puck.

Brouwer is essentially the same deal. He is a garbage goal collector and needs somebody to get the puck to the garbage area's.

I love Backes, but that is not even remotely his game. He is essentially just a better version of the same mold.
IMO if you use JBB as a line you aren't going to get any meaningful offensive production. Just a lot of physical play with nothing real to show for it.

4- Lehtera needs some finishers to work with and he's not exactly a "gritty" player. Putting him with 2 huge, physical goal scorers will give him time and space to work with and he can make some brilliant passes if he has any kind of time. Jaskin is a very good possession player for Lehtera to cycle with and both Jaskin and Brouwer could capitalize of the kind of chances Lehtera can create.

I disagree about Jaskin needing someone feeding him the puck. He creates a lot of his own chances. His shot isn't anything special. It's not powerful, he doesn't have a quick release. Sniper isn't a characteristic I would associate with him. He does however finish most of his chances. If there is a hole in goaltender positioning he can often see it. The question is if he can get a shot off quick enough. He also doesn't miss wide open nets often.

He probably would benefit from a guy that can make things happen offensively, but he can do more than need to be fed pucks.

RR10*

I find your lack of sample size disturbing
That's why i added "not yet", smartass. What about his sample size calling Jaskin already a goal scorer? Anyone who watches him play can see he is more of a hard working power forward than a sniper.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
That's why i added "not yet", smartass. What about his sample size calling Jaskin already a goal scorer? Anyone who watches him play can see he is more of a hard working power forward than a sniper.

well if you look at his regular season stats, my polite fellow, you could definitely be encouraged by his goal per game rate. He scored at a 20 goal pace last season. He's no Mike Bossy but he has some definite ability to put the puck in the net. It's not like he's laying people out left and right Lucic type of power forward, my good friend. He certainly isn't a playmaker. And you don't have to be a "sniper" to be a goal scorer. David Backes twice scored 30 goals or something like that.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I think we're making a mistake not having three of our big d-men in.

Hopefully this gets rectified by the end of the the season.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
well if you look at his regular season stats, my polite fellow, you could definitely be encouraged by his goal per game rate. He scored at a 20 goal pace last season. He's no Mike Bossy but he has some definite ability to put the puck in the net. It's not like he's laying people out left and right Lucic type of power forward, my good friend. He certainly isn't a playmaker. And you don't have to be a "sniper" to be a goal scorer. David Backes twice scored 30 goals or something like that.

Backes is a good shooter though. He's got a wicked Lil wrister and a damn good snap shot for a 1 timer. I've seen other posters reference Hossa for Jaskin. I can see the style similarities. The puck is just compelled to go to the back of the net

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Backes is a good shooter though. He's got a wicked Lil wrister and a damn good snap shot for a 1 timer. I've seen other posters reference Hossa for Jaskin. I can see the style similarities. The puck is just compelled to go to the back of the net

I wouldn't say Backes has anything more than an NHL average shot. Same with Jaskin. I guess my point is you don't have to have a Tarasenko-esque shooting ability to be a goal scorer. Jaskin is good at cleaning up the garbage and driving to the net, and he scores his goals in those situations.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Tomas Holmstrom couldn't pass, couldn't shoot and couldn't skate. Hell he couldn't really do anything but park in front of the net and take a beating. Oddly enough I'd still call him a goal scorer because he put up 20 on a consistent basis. Point being, not every goal scorer is flashy or a sniper as we like to imagine.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
God I hated him....I don't remember too much about the mid late 90s...but I remember hating him

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I wouldn't say Backes has anything more than an NHL average shot. Same with Jaskin. I guess my point is you don't have to have a Tarasenko-esque shooting ability to be a goal scorer. Jaskin is good at cleaning up the garbage and driving to the net, and he scores his goals in those situations.

Backes has an above-average shot. He's not Tarasenko, but it's not average. He scores plenty of them by picking corners instead of just jamming in garbage.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Backes has an above-average shot. He's not Tarasenko, but it's not average. He scores plenty of them by picking corners instead of just jamming in garbage.

Agreed. Backes has a pretty decent shot. It's hard and fairly accurate when he is on his game. His shooting slips when he is pissed off or aggravated. Both Jaskin and Backes have plus shots. They are not anything special, but they allow both to be goal scorers... just not snipers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad