Line Combos: Lines 15/16

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Be that as it may, that's the second pairing and they still have to play defense during the hockey game. Why put two defensively weak D men together if you don't have to? I'll reserve judgement for now but those two had better get on the same page quick or I won't be the only one raising alarm bells.
You are way overreacting here.

First of all, Shattenkirk isn't "defensively weak". He's not as good as Pietrangelo but he's fine in that area. He's also not someone who I think is really out there laying everything on the line in a preseason game.

Next, it seems to me like you're basing this pairing off of one game that you saw. You're acting like they're making mistakes left and right and "better get on the same page quick". Now the Blues brass isn't perfect, but if the front office and coaching staff both raved about Edmundson and thought that was a good pairing, then I'm certainly going to believe them over you. Not trying to be a dick but man, you're acting like the pairing is a disaster when it's clear the team thinks the exact opposite of you. That right there just tells me that you're way off base here and need to relax.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I hate saying this...but man. It was just a preseason game. I watch Keith get walked by Fabbri, I also watched Fabbri effortlessly get around hammer.....I think it was him. That **** won't happen during the real season.

thigpen

Jun 6, 2011
SF Bay Area
You are way overreacting here.

First of all, Shattenkirk isn't "defensively weak". He's not as good as Pietrangelo but he's fine in that area. He's also not someone who I think is really out there laying everything on the line in a preseason game.

Next, it seems to me like you're basing this pairing off of one game that you saw. You're acting like they're making mistakes left and right and "better get on the same page quick". Now the Blues brass isn't perfect, but if the front office and coaching staff both raved about Edmundson and thought that was a good pairing, then I'm certainly going to believe them over you. Not trying to be a dick but man, you're acting like the pairing is a disaster when it's clear the team thinks the exact opposite of you. That right there just tells me that you're way off base here and need to relax.

:eek:... Lol. I guess I came off that way a bit. Hey, I'm a scarred Blues fan who saw the Plagers and Unger play as a kid, had hopes dashed in '86 and '96-'02, la la la... but I digress.

Like I said, I'll reserve judgement and hope for the best. I can't be blamed for picking apart any potential flaws I see in the team and blowing them up to billboard scale given my cantankerous malady.

Let the kids play. If they stumble, they will learn (some will, anyway). :)

RR10*

I'll explain why i rather see Fabbri over Jaskin with Schwartz and Lehtera. Fabbri is the better offensive player and much more similar to Tarasenko play-wise than Jaskin is. And we all know "STL" was good composed. While Jaskin is a good power forward, he is not a natural scorer and lacks some smartness and passing. I don't think he would be a great fit with Schwartz and Lehtera. Sure, it wouldn't be bad but not great either. He fits a lot better on the third with Backes and Brouwer, they all play reckless and will be a heavy line. And i also think that Fabbri would not be a good fit with Backes and Brouwer. They won't be able to maintain pressure in the offensive zone and play give and go.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
3rd pairing LHD till Gunnarsson returns then he'll be the 7th. Through no fault of his own though.

****. Well thanks. I picked him up for my fantasy team thinking he'd have a regular role. Might definitely look into picking up Edmundson or Parayko to replace him.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'll explain why i rather see Fabbri over Jaskin with Schwartz and Lehtera. Fabbri is the better offensive player and much more similar to Tarasenko play-wise than Jaskin is. And we all know "STL" was good composed. While Jaskin is a good power forward, he is not a natural scorer and lacks some smartness and passing. I don't think he would be a great fit with Schwartz and Lehtera. Sure, it wouldn't be bad but not great either. He fits a lot better on the third with Backes and Brouwer, they all play reckless and will be a heavy line. And i also think that Fabbri would not be a good fit with Backes and Brouwer. They won't be able to maintain pressure in the offensive zone and play give and go.
I can't agree with that assessment of Jaskin. While in comparison to Fabbri, it may have some truth. In general though, Jaskin is a goal scorer with some good offensive instincts

Colt 55

RIP Oscar and Jose
Jan 28, 2012
Coronado
Fabbri will get his 9 game trial, then will be sent back to Juniors.

I imagine if he struggles he will get sent back but if he plays well there would be no reason to send him down. I think management would be more than willing to burn a year of his ELC if he proves he can contribute at this level.

jura

booze & blues
Mar 29, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
ST. LOUIS – The St. Louis Blues have announced their roster for Opening Night.

The roster includes offseason acquisitions Troy Brouwer and Kyle Brodziak, recent free agent signee Scottie Upshall, as well as three rookies that could make their NHL debuts on Thursday: forward Robby Fabbri and defensemen Joel Edmundson and Colton Parayko.

Captain David Backes will head the Blues’ leadership group, along with assistant captains Alex Pietrangelo and Alexander Steen.

FORWARDS
Code:
9 - Steve Ott
10 - Scottie Upshall
12 - Jori Lehtera
15 - Robby Fabbri
17 - Jaden Schwartz
20 - Alexander Steen “A”
21 - Patrik Berglund
23 - Dmitrij Jaskin
26 - Paul Stastny
28 - Kyle Brodziak
36 - Troy Brouwer
42 - David Backes “C”
75 - Ryan Reaves
91 - Vladimir Tarasen"К"o
DEFENSE
Code:
4 - Carl Gunnarsson
6 - Joel Edmundson
19 - Jay Bouwmeester
22 - Kevin Shattenkirk
27 - Alex Pietrangelo “A”
41 - Robert Bortuzzo
55 - Colton Parayko
GOALIES
Code:
1 - Brian Elliott
34 - Jake Allen

http://blues.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=781914

Last edited:

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
So I guess we're going to put Berglund on IR when the season starts and then either sign Gomez or call up someone.

PeterAngelo

Feb 26, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Cool. How many minutes will he play, and how many goals/assists? What will he eat for breakfast on the day he gets sent down?

You know it....

B4-YKUnCUAAd5Ub.jpg

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008
Because......?

Because waiting to start his ELC a year will help with the salary cap down the road.

There doesn't seem to be a question about talent for Fabbri.

But growth and muscle-wise? I don't know. I don't think another year of getting stronger would hurt.

Nothing says his nine game trial has to be the first nine games of the season. We could do with Fabbri what we did with Pietrangelo. Stretch his nine game trial out over the first two months of the season, then send him back to juniors in time for the WJC. Then he gets traded to a contender, and gets valuable playoff winning experience during a run to a Memorial Cup.

He slides into Brouwer's spot in on the roster in 2016-17, saving the Blues nearly $2.8 million which they could use to help re-sign Backes, but will more than likely use to re-sign Ott. ;)

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
If Fabbri is producing...he stays. If he's returned, it's because he's not ready. If they demote a contributing player due to money Issues....Armstrong will get get a stone cold STUNNER

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
If Fabbri is producing...he stays. If he's returned, it's because he's not ready. If they demote a contributing player due to money Issues....Armstrong will get get a stone cold STUNNER

And that's the bottom line, cause Dbrownss said so.

If Fabbri can't make it it gives Rattie a chance to come up and prove himself as a top-9 winger. And honestly, if either of them can come up and prove themselves I'll be happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad