Line Combos: Line combos for the 17\18 season

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
I'm not sure what the advanced stats said, but I felt like the team overall looked better when McDavid and Drai were split up. Why can't Drai and RNH play together?

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
I'm not sure what the advanced stats said, but I felt like the team overall looked better when McDavid and Drai were split up. Why can't Drai and RNH play together?

I thought the same thing the first game Drai was back. But to give you your answer in short:

Because Todd Maclellan.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
The biggest issue with the top 6 is that Drai is the best winger on the team vs Lucic having shown no chemistry with any centre besides Drai. IMO Maroon-McDavid-RNH would be worth a look to free up a Lucic-Drai-unqualified line. It would be a shame to watch McDavid having to tow Maroon and an unqualified into 1st liners, so if RNH isn't meant for #1RW than Drai is currently the only real option for that spot. An actual 3C would be nice too, might get some offence out of the bottom 6 wingers... Strome doesn't appear to be the answer to that need.

Last edited:

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
The biggest issue with the top 6 is that Drai is the best winger on the team vs Lucic having shown no chemistry with any centre besides Drai. IMO Maroon-McDavid-RNH would be worth a look to free up a Lucic-Drai- line. It would be a shame to watch McDavid having to tow Maroon and into 1st liners, so if RNH isn't meant for #1RW than Drai is currently the only real option for that spot. An actual 3C would be nice too, might get some offence out of the bottom 6 wingers... Strome doesn't appear to be the answer to that need.

I think this is the best approach.

Draisaitl's worked well with both Maroon and Lucic. From what I've seen, Maroon seems to be the better one as adjusting his game to fit his linemates*, thus I think he can play with McNuge. While Lucic and Drai can form a more cohesive second line.

* What I mean by this: Lucic is a better player than Maroon, their careers prove this (they're the same age, and Maroon has never outscored him, and has only once topped him in goals). However I think when you get them out of their comfort zone (so linemates that don't like to cycle), Maroon's going to have the easier time adjusting. He has more history as a complementary player, while Lucic has normally been a focal point on his line.

Round it off by tossing together Caggiula-Strome-Slepyshev as another offensive line, and having Jokinen-Letestu form the bases of a defensive 4th line, and that's the forward core set.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Maroon-McDavid-Pulju
Lucic-RNH-Draisailt
Caggiula-Strome-Kassian

Make it happen dammit!!!!

OILSLICK94

Mar 9, 2004
London Ontario
Yamamoto experiment needs to be OVER, send him back to junior, enough is enough. his confidence is completely shot........ Call up Puljujarvi.

New Lines: (which were used in pre-season, but for some reason never returned)

Maroon - McDavid - Strome
Lucic - Draisaitl - Caggiula or Slepyshev
Jokinen - RNH - Puljujarvi
Khaira - Letestu - Kassian
Ex. Pakarinen/Slepyshev

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Benning
Russell - Aviutu
Ex. Gryba

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
Yep, Yamamoto needs to be send to junior. Nuge needs better linemates, Lucic and Yama both lose possession A LOT.

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-Nuge-Kassian (somewhat worked when they were together)
Caggiula-Strome-Slepy
Jokinen-Khaira-Letestu

Use Jokinen in powerplay! Yea he is a bit slow, but powerplay is one place it really doens't matter. He is extremely smart player with good vision, Caggiula for example shouldn't be used over JJ in PP. 2nd unit looked much better, because there is more players with actual skill to make plays. 1st unit has McDavid and Klef (who can't one-time from Connors passes because he is LH shot), Maroon is fine for netfront presence.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Would our AHL team with McDavid even be doing much worse?

Like I don't think it matters how we set up the lineup with the players we have

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Call up Bear and Puljujarvi, get some energy in there

Maroon-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Lucic-RNH-Drasailt
Caggiula-Strome-Kassian
Jokinen-Letestu-Slepyshev

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Benning
Russel-Bear

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Call up Bear and Puljujarvi, get some energy in there

Maroon-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Lucic-RNH-Drasailt
Caggiula-Strome-Kassian
Jokinen-Letestu-Slepyshev

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Benning
Russel-Bear
RNH+Benning+Gryba for Green+Zetterberg

Detroit gets younger. Oilers gets more experience

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
At 8.5 million, Draisaitl needs to drive his own line. Give him a chance to earn his salary.
For $8.5m, he needs to score at a 70+ point pace. The 'line driving' rhetoric has got to go. If he is able to continue producing at his current rate on his own line, great. But as McDavid's winger was where he earned that contract.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
RNH+Benning+Gryba for Green+Zetterberg

Detroit gets younger. Oilers gets more experience

No thanks. We don't need war stories about the 2008 Stanley Cup. We already have Lucic sucking up cap for past accomplishments.

If RNH is traded, given his decent production this year, I want a LONG TERM part of the solution here.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
No thanks. We don't need war stories about the 2008 Stanley Cup. We already have Lucic sucking up cap for past accomplishments.

If RNH is traded, given his decent production this year, I want a LONG TERM part of the solution here.
Agreed.
I feel like if we move RNH out it'll end up sucking like the Hall trade did.

Kid has tried to do everything he can for the team. Was a high flying offensive guy cause thats what his body was built for. He got tired of being scored on cause the defense sucked so he started being a defense first guy. For his size and weight he has done pretty well all things considered. Now he finally gets told he can start playing his hockey again and even with plugs he is tied for team lead in goals. On pace for 37 goals.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Agreed.
I feel like if we move RNH out it'll end up sucking like the Hall trade did.

Kid has tried to do everything he can for the team. Was a high flying offensive guy cause thats what his body was built for. He got tired of being scored on cause the defense sucked so he started being a defense first guy. For his size and weight he has done pretty well all things considered. Now he finally gets told he can start playing his hockey again and even with plugs he is tied for team lead in goals. On pace for 37 goals.

I'm not happy with RNH and he shouldn't be absolved of being a very mediocre no.1 overall, but he is playing better this year and I'm not going to swap that player for anything less that someone in their 20s who is contract controlled for several years for starters.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Benning is average at everything. Not exactly long term solution either.

If we could re-sign Green which is very likely since he's Alberta. Both could help the Oilers for the next 3-4 years until our prospects work their way up. Zetterberg contract expires the same time RNH contract expires. I don't see us extending RNH either
Trade Russell after next year.

Next year
Klef-Larsson
Sekera-Green
Nurse-Russell
Bear

Edit: Just realized this is not the trade board

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
For $8.5m, he needs to score at a 70+ point pace. The 'line driving' rhetoric has got to go. If he is able to continue producing at his current rate on his own line, great. But as McDavid's winger was where he earned that contract.
Draisaitl has the 10s highest salary cap in the league. He gets paid more than anyone in most teams. He should technically be the best player in more teams than not.

70+ points playing with the best playmaker in the world isn't enough in the long run, IF he isn't able to produce that much without Connor.

The same goes with McDavid. He needs to be a 100 point player without Drai to earn that contract.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
70+ points playing with the best playmaker in the world isn't enough in the long run, IF he isn't able to produce that much without Connor.

The same goes with McDavid. He needs to be a 100 point player without Drai to earn that contract.

I see this pretty much the same way. They are paying Drai the kind of salary for which he should be running his own line extremely well. He's still fairly young so that may take some time, but until that happens he'll be overpaid unless him and McDavid form a duo that carries the Oilers very far. With McDavid there's also the marketing aspect, which brings extra value to the Oilers.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I see this pretty much the same way. They are paying Drai the kind of salary for which he should be running his own line extremely well. He's still fairly young so that may take some time, but until that happens he'll be overpaid unless him and McDavid form a duo that carries the Oilers very far. With McDavid there's also the marketing aspect, which brings extra value to the Oilers.
He is 2 million overpaid because he wasn't going to take more than 4 million less than McDavid.

He is a 6.5 mill player being paid more due to the apparent "budget friendly" contract McDavid signed. If McDavid wanted to be here there is no reason we couldn't of signed him for 10-11 mill. Period. Instead we overpaid him so we had to overpay Drai too.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
BLOG: Practice updates 12/05

"Lines at practice appear to be:
Lucic - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Caggiula - Draisaitl - Strome
Maroon - Nugent-Hopkins - Cammalleri

Defence:
Nurse - Russell
Klefbom - Benning
Auvitu - Gryba
Sekera - Davidson"

Looks like no Walker or Davidson for tomorrow for their Oilers debuts.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
He is 2 million overpaid because he wasn't going to take more than 4 million less than McDavid.

He is a 6.5 mill player being paid more due to the apparent "budget friendly" contract McDavid signed. If McDavid wanted to be here there is no reason we couldn't of signed him for 10-11 mill. Period. Instead we overpaid him so we had to overpay Drai too.

I can’t believe you think McD is overpaid signed to an 8 year deal at that price. Within 3 years there will be 4-5 players making more than him.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
BLOG: Practice updates 12/05

"Lines at practice appear to be:
Lucic - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Caggiula - Draisaitl - Strome
Maroon - Nugent-Hopkins - Cammalleri

Defence:
Nurse - Russell
Klefbom - Benning
Auvitu - Gryba
Sekera - Davidson"

Looks like no Walker or Davidson for tomorrow for their Oilers debuts.

I did not expect Walker, but I would dress Davidsson as 7th D. Gryba is not out of course, not after the game he had. That would send bad signals imho. But to have Davidsson out there for a couple of shifts and/or step in if someone struggles would be good.

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
Stauffer tweeted that Drai is back on the first pp unit.
I'm happy to hear that, let's get back to the units that were working last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad