Line Combos: Line combos for the 17\18 season

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Holy shit their "powerplay shakeup" literally makes our first unit worse. Here are the units

Maroon - Letestu - Cagguila
McDavid - Klefbom

Lucic - RNH - Strome
Draisaitl - Benning

What in the hell...

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Did they just draw names out of a hat?
The moved Lucic down which is sure fine. But then they replaced Cagguila with Draisaitl?
Our first unit most nights imo was worse than our second...so they make the 1st worse and improve the second? I just.... Woodcroft the genius.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/blog-practice-updates-1030/c-292429800

For those who were wanting Klefbom to be demoted and Nurse promoted, you got your wish:

EDMONTON, AB - The Oilers are skating at Rogers Place Community Rink Monday.
Stay tuned for news, updates, notes and more.
Lineup at practice:
Maroon - McDavid - Draisaitl
Lucic - RNH - Yamamoto
Caggiula - Strome - Slepyshev
Jokinen - Letestu - Kassian

Defence pairings:
Nurse - Larsson
Klefbom - Benning

Auvitu - Russell
(Gryba rotating in)

Todd really does not get it. Team is going nowhere as long as he's not willing to let go of the McDavid + Draisaitl security blanket.

Strome should get a look there on the RW and move Leon to play on the 2nd line with RNH. The second line is the one we need more from, Todd doesn't get this over and over and over again. And putting Yamamoto there instead ... sigh.

Reactions: Del Preston

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Maroon-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Lucic-RNH-Draisailt
Caggiula-Strome-Kassian

Make it happen!!!

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
Holy **** their "powerplay shakeup" literally makes our first unit worse. Here are the units

McDavid - Klefbom

Lucic - RNH - Strome
Draisaitl - Benning

What in the hell...

This is the classic - our skilled guys are not getting it done so lets put Toby Pederson on the top unit - thats where we are at......:(

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Holy **** their "powerplay shakeup" literally makes our first unit worse. Here are the units

McDavid - Klefbom

Lucic - RNH - Strome
Draisaitl - Benning

What in the hell...

Pretty ugly first unit. But current PP cant get much worse. I think for one thing, Draitsaitl and McDavid who have great chemistry and are great players, are guilty of overpassing to each other to make a perfect play so maybe the PP will help in that regard. I dont really understand why TM is in love with Cagguila so much.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I actually really like the look of that second unit haha.

Though if they were looking for a different look on the top unit I'd rather have Kassian or Slepyshev over Caggiula. Get two RH shoots on each unit so it's not so predictable.

Kassian/Slepyshev-McDavid-Maroon
Letestu-Klefbom

Though I do like that Caggiula often goes to the slot, a place Letestu has consistently been drifting into consistently this season (not good). This forces Letestu to stay wide on the LW.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
1st PP unit:

Lucic-Maroon-McDavid-Yamamoto
Auvitu

2nd PP unit:

RNH-Draisaitl-Slepyshev-Letestu
Nurse

Profit.

I was just thinking that yesterday IIRC, I wonder what Looch and Maroon would look like on a line together? Or in this case on the PP together. They would really create havoc in front of the opposition goal.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Honestly don't care if they put out

Pak-Letustu-Kassian
Ov2- Gryba

Our top unit with elite players isn't getting it done so mix it up.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think it was Gregor saying something about how Benning and Klef could be a not bad unit if they are used with McDavid line to get the puck up the ice quicker. You then have Nurse and Larsson playing heavy minutes.

I'd like to see if that would work, hopefully TM gives it a few game look.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
These are apparently the new lines:

Maroon McDavid Draisaitl
Lucic Nuge Yamamoto
Caggiula Strome Slepyshev
Pakarinen Letestu Kassian

There is a lot wrong with that.

Draisatl and McDavid need to be split up. Force them both to up their game by playing apart.

Strome has played his best hockey as an Oiler on the wing. So keep trying to force him into a centre role?

Does anyone think Pakarinen is playing better than Khaira?

Still gotta figure out what to do after Yamamoto is sent down.

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
Todd keeps getting dumber and dumber as each game goes by. The guy has no handle on this team, and the decisions he's making are just pathetic. I mean his lines can't get any worse can they?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Todd keeps getting dumber and dumber as each game goes by. The guy has no handle on this team, and the decisions he's making are just pathetic. I mean his lines can't get any worse can they?
It's hard to make a good poker hand when you aren't dealt enough cards. The Oilers are a few cards short of a deck and the best hand they can make is the Royal Sampler.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
These are apparently the new lines:

Maroon McDavid Draisaitl
Lucic Nuge Yamamoto
Caggiula Strome Slepyshev
Pakarinen Letestu Kassian

There is a lot wrong with that.

Draisatl and McDavid need to be split up. Force them both to up their game by playing apart.

Strome has played his best hockey as an Oiler on the wing. So keep trying to force him into a centre role?

Does anyone think Pakarinen is playing better than Khaira?

Still gotta figure out what to do after Yamamoto is sent down.
At the end of the day I don't think there is a lot of difference to total impact when you are talking about Pak and Khaira.

Pak however is a guy that TM has had a lot of trust in so I'm not surprised he's in. That and Pak has been used a lot on the PK this year. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
There isn't exactly a lot that he can do. He's keeping that top line together as they usually have success. Rather at least have one line going than none. The rest what are you honestly going to do.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
There isn't exactly a lot that he can do. He's keeping that top line together as they usually have success. Rather at least have one line going than none. The rest what are you honestly going to do.
Except when you go up early in the first period by a coupe goals they should be anchoring their own line. Tmac just rides the same hope train every game when he plays them together. Yeah great so the only way that we can win games is if our top line outscores the other teams entire line up. Look at what these clowns have down to the pp this year and look at what they think the solution is. Watch this shit will continue to fail to the point we are out of the playoff picture and finally Woodcroft will give Larsson a chance on the pp and it looks good. You know that shit is going to happen.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
For that third line to do anything, Caggiula and Slepyshev are going to have to create a hell of a lot more shots than they have all season. They're barely registering at all.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
For that third line to do anything, Caggiula and Slepyshev are going to have to create a hell of a lot more shots than they have all season. They're barely registering at all.

Yeah Chia seems to get that 3rd line veteran around the deadline but he should consider earlier as it will solidify the bottom 6. It's needed right now.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Caguila has been pretty snake bitten. He’s hit 3 posts I think now.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Maroon - McDavid - Strome
Lucic - Draisaitl - Yamamoto

This looked good in preseason and spreads out the scoring. Can he at least try these for a period to see how they do? RNH and Jokinen were fine together as well.

Jokinen - RNH - Slepyshev
Caggiula - Letestu - Kassian

Last edited:

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
Maroon - McDavid - Strome
Lucic - Draisaitl - Yamamoto

These looked good in preseason and spreads out the scoring. Can he at least try these for a period to see how they do? RNH and Jokinen were fine together as well.

Jokinen - RNH - Slepyshev
Caggiula - Letestu - Kassian

What? Draisaitl not with McD? Not happening. Trying to get Drai with RNH is hard enough, let alone splitting McD and Drai to create some secondary scoring.. we obviously don't need that. *Ahem Todd*

Reactions: Del Preston

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
What? Draisaitl not with McD? Not happening. Trying to get Drai with RNH is hard enough, let alone splitting McD and Drai to create some secondary scoring.. we obviously don't need that. *Ahem Todd*
It's insanity at this point. You can get by with shoddy RW depth when you have McDavid and Draisaitl as your top two centres (or you should at least try for longer than two periods, anyway). Maroon-McDavid and Lucic-Leon are two pairs we know work. I don't understand or haven't heard why McLellan used new, balanced lines in camp and then scrapped them after the second last preseason game.

That said, these new lines and PP will probably put up six or seven goals tomorrow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad