Line Combos: Line Combo Thread II: The Quest For Secondary Scoring

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
Don't mind it. I'd have Pakarinen in over Hendo on the 4th, but other than that it's not bad.

No mention of D pairings, I see Russell didn't skate. I'm assuming it's a maintenance day. I wouldn't mind these D pairings:

Klef-Larsson
Sekera-Benning
Nurse-Russell

I'd rather Nurse and Benning have a veteran D partner. Plus, in the very limited time Nurse-Russell were together I liked it. I want Nurse to have a good skating D partner. He's been anchored with guys who can't skate (i.e. Gryba) most of the time.

I think Nurse-Russell could be a nice bottom pairing. I'm comfortable with Benning getting 2nd pairing minutes with Sekera, he's really played well so far. Way beyond expectations it's crazy. He's fine in 2nd pairing duties, top pairing he's over his head but 2nd pairing he's shown to be fine.

if Russel doesn't get any crazy offers this summer, I could see him resigning at 3 mill. your lineup might be our defence for the next couple of years.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
No one thinks Fontaine should make the lineup or what? Thought that was a bottom 6 depth move meant to increase our offense. Or was it just an AHL move?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
if Russel doesn't get any crazy offers this summer, I could see him resigning at 3 mill. your lineup might be our defence for the next couple of years.

Possibly. But I think we go hard for Faulk. Carolina might finally be ready to make a move on him.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
No one thinks Fontaine should make the lineup or what? Thought that was a bottom 6 depth move meant to increase our offense. Or was it just an AHL move?

I'd personally have him in the mix on the roster because he has exhibited good numbers in the past. He's had a positive relative GF/GA ratio compared to his teammates each year he's been on the Wild... while playing in a defensive role.

Chia has stated though that this acquisition was a depth/AHL move... but certainly he would be a solid and safe callup if/when injuries hit.

Depth like this is very good to have.

Last edited:

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Its so gross Mclellan is going to have good players sitting out games for ****ing Hendricks. How have they not looked at their pk numbers and realize Hendricks doesn't even help you in that department anymore. He's a negative player through and through now.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Its so gross Mclellan is going to have good players sitting out games for ****ing Hendricks. How have they not looked at their pk numbers and realize Hendricks doesn't even help you in that department anymore. He's a negative player through and through now.

getting grossed out by things that havent even happened. hfoil!!

As if McLellan hasnt scratched Hendricks before.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

Maybe last year Oilers..

you just dont have Khaira, Caggiula, Slepychev sit out and dress a Fontaine. Even Desharnais might not be suiting up for the Oilers all the games.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
getting grossed out by things that havent even happened. hfoil!!

As if McLellan hasnt scratched Hendricks before.

Hendricks has been playing in back to backs yeah he's definitely gonna get scratched after a 3 day break.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

Just based on his interview I don't think he has any illusions about stepping into the big club right away, I assume we already told him our plans for him are and that he'll be starting in the AHL, making him a depth guy.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Hendricks has been playing well as of late.

4th liner, not much cause for concern here.

Hendricks is a staple on the pk and the pk has been getting destroyed. Hendricks has far greater negative effect on the game than some are willing to admit.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
When Pouliot comes off the IR who gets sent down? Who's waiver exempt out of Caggiula/Khaira/Slepyshev/Pakarinen? It's really a tough call for me. I think this would be my ideal lineup with everyone healthy.

Maroon McD Drai
Lucic RNH Ebs
Pouliot DD Kassian
Khaira Letestu Caggiula

Wouldn't be surprised to see Khaira sent down though as he was put on the Condors playoff roster. We finally have some serious depth up front.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
When Pouliot comes off the IR who gets sent down? Who's waiver exempt out of Caggiula/Khaira/Slepyshev/Pakarinen? It's really a tough call for me. I think this would be my ideal lineup with everyone healthy.

Maroon McD Drai
Lucic RNH Ebs
Pouliot DD Kassian
Khaira Letestu Caggiula

Wouldn't be surprised to see Khaira sent down though as he was put on the Condors playoff roster. We finally have some serious depth up front.

Pakarinen is the only player who isn't waiver exempt out of those 4 you named.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Maroon McD Drai
Lucic RNH Ebs
Pouliot DD Kassian
Khaira Letestu Caggiula

I agree. JJ probably gets sent down.

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
I'd send Khaira down, try this out:

Maroon - McDavid - Draisatl
Lucic - RNH - Eberle
Pouliot - Desharnais - Slepyshev
Caggiula - Letestu - Kassian
Hendricks Pakarinen

I think we'll likely see any 2 of Cags/Slepy/Hendo/Pak in on any night.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
There is no roster limit after trade deadline so we dont have to send anyone down as long as we can fit them under cap.

JJ has nothing to prove in AHL

He is likely going to be the odd man out though when Pouliot comes back.
JJ is a big body that can skate but he has zero finish at the NHL level..

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
My favy would be

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-RNH-Eberle
Pouliot-Desharnais-Kassian
Khaira-Letestu-Slepychev
Hendricks, Pakarinen

Send Caggs down.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Or we could send Pouliot down instead:laugh:

Ha...actually I am curious to see if Poulliot and Desharnais have some chemistry together. When Poulliot is on he is a solid player.
Rumor has it that he may have been fighting this injury most of the season. If he is now healed he could be a difference maker.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
He is likely going to be the odd man out though when Pouliot comes back.
JJ is a big body that can skate but he has zero finish at the NHL level..

IMHO, you don't look for "finish" from a fourth-liner. You look for exactly what we got last night, pressure, zone time, simple plays. I agree that his hands are below-average but that's why he's on the 4th line. I don't think they should send him down.

Though I'm not always into analytics, with only 39% O-zone starts this year Khaira's Corsi is 59.6% and he's getting a shot on goal and two hits per game. Hendo's Corsi is 39.6 and Slepychev's is 46.0, with similar shot and hit numbers. So maybe the underlying numbers say that the puck is moving in the right direction when Jooj is on the ice?

Oil Dude

Jan 10, 2010
Alberta
Ha...actually I am curious to see if Poulliot and Desharnais have some chemistry together. When Poulliot is on he is a solid player.
Rumor has it that he may have been fighting this injury most of the season. If he is now healed he could be a difference maker.

If there was an injury it would explain his drop off this year , it has been surreal.
I am not the biggest Pouliot backer to be honest but he is usually good for 30+ points a year....way off pace this year.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
IMHO, you don't look for "finish" from a fourth-liner. You look for exactly what we got last night, pressure, zone time, simple plays. I agree that his hands are below-average but that's why he's on the 4th line. I don't think they should send him down.

Though I'm not always into analytics, with only 39% O-zone starts this year Khaira's Corsi is 59.6% and he's getting a shot on goal and two hits per game. Hendo's Corsi is 39.6 and Slepychev's is 46.0, with similar shot and hit numbers. So maybe the underlying numbers say that the puck is moving in the right direction when Jooj is on the ice?

Virtually any player they replace JJ with has more finish. Its a no brainer to try and get as much offence from the bottom 6 as you can as long as other aspect arent being compromised too much..

If there was an injury it would explain his drop off this year , it has been surreal.
I am not the biggest Pouliot backer to be honest but he is usually good for 30+ points a year....way off pace this year.

Yeah...he has been awful this season. I am really hoping that he has recovered and can elevate his game to what we have seen in the past.
If so then this team really has some impressive depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad