Confirmed with Link: Lindholm + Hanifin to CAL for Hamilton, Fox and Ferland

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
I did not know that's how that phrase originated. Now I do. I just went along with it.

When I first joined here, there was some joke about Brandon Dubinsky and a 2nd. Does anyone remember that?
if it wouldn't be so lame it would be nice to have a thread or wiki explaining some of the myriad of inside jokes and references on 26 that so few people truly remember anymore

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Sorry to be a nitpick, but the technical term is "Noah want return a Boston."

I'm sure most of us remember the story, but long ago in deepest darkest hfboards, a Canadiens fan suggested that Tom Kostopoulos may want to be traded from Carolina to Montreal. He had no source, but merely said "Kostopoulos want return a Habs". I think that was the thread title. Several Canadiens fans went with it and said "yeah that makes sense let's get him" and offered us a salary dump in return for our $917K player.

I wish that had happened, so that I wouldn't have felt embarassment witnessing Kostopolus allowing his face to be used as a speed bag by opposing players again and again without offering much resistance.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Should have Drafted Karlsson instead of Boychuk

Erik Karlsson at eliteprospects.com

6rZ8g8R.jpg

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Here is Ferland's 2015-16 and 2016-17 highlights. In the 2015-16 he was the single most snakebitten player in the NHL, getting robbed by goalies left and right, but you can already see the backchecking, takeaway ability, vision, passing, speed, dynamicism, and how dangerous the shot was going to become. My favorite plays are that little assist to Bennett in Arizona as well as him getting robbed by Jonathan Quick in what is a goal in every other timeline:

[snip]

The bounces stated to go his way the next season, but he was buried on the fourth line for most of it with non-NHLers like Freddie Hamilton and Lance Bouma. He carried that line however, and it was the best fourth line in the NHL IMO while he was stuck on it.

[snip]

Finally, in a game in Nashville with the team's playoff hopes desperately hanging in the balance, the seeds of his 2017-18 season were planted:
[snip]
Enjoy.

And yes, Oliver Ekman-Larsson must be the happiest person in the world about this trade.

Well, here's his 2017-18 video, which is just chock fulla'mazin'.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
every time i watch ferland play, the more shocked i am that calgary let him go. there's so much about his offensive game that's more than the greasy goals. he has really understated skill and his feel for offense is advanced. it wouldn't surprise me at all if he scores 30 goals if he can stay with aho. it isn't that he's having better luck than his career average, he's just creating more shots per game than he did with calgary in the early stages of the season by a substantial amount. he's a perfect compliment for aho and teuvo and it's not entirely surprising considering how he played with gaudreau. aho and gaudreau have some similarities. he's writing himself a blank check.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Not really complicated. If he doesn't sign by the time he finishes his 4 years, he's a UFA 8/15 of that year and can sign with anyone.
Alright, thanks. I don't think clearly. Must be the hangover.
Team is confident they'll sign him (from the summer):

Could defensive prospect Adam Fox give the Hurricanes the edge in the Calgary trade?

Team thinks he can step right into the NHL (from this week, small quote from Waddell about Fox):

New Owner Tom Dundon Brings Happy Days To NHL's Carolina Hurricanes
This is great news. There is some talk on the mains that Fox isn't going to sign with the Canes. Glad to hear there is some progression.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Yeah, I wouldn’t take anything people on the main boards have to say about Carolina seriously.

The Business board, for example, had people tracking private flights between Raleigh and QC, and people were convinced that this meant relocation was imminent. When called on this bullshit, the response was ‘where there is smoke there is fire!!!’

Another guy had a great ‘source’. He claimed he knew a cable guy who worked at some schmuks House, and that schmuk told him Hurricanes to Quebec was for sure happening. That guy was allowed to keep posting, for some reason.

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Yeah, I wouldn’t take anything people on the main boards have to say about Carolina seriously.

The Business board, for example, had people tracking private flights between Raleigh and QC, and people were convinced that this meant relocation was imminent. When called on this bull****, the response was ‘where there is smoke there is fire!!!’

Another guy had a great ‘source’. He claimed he knew a cable guy who worked at some schmuks House, and that schmuk told him Hurricanes to Quebec was for sure happening. That guy was allowed to keep posting, for some reason.
This is pure insanity. The lengths people go... I love it for its absurdness.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Thinking Fox is going to jump right into the NHL is ........ a little strong.

Maybe. He’s probably right around the same reputation as a prospect as Wil Butcher was coming out (maybe even slightly higher).

Now, what Butcher did last year was out of the ordinary (spectacular in fact), but I don’t think it’s completely crazy for Fox to do the same thing. There’s certainly precedent.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think there’s precedent, I’d refer back to Liles as well. Very similar to Butcher. There’s also a list of late bloomer Hobey Baker candidates and winners that were hyped and never did much at all. On defense Matt Gilroy comes to mind.

I’m not saying Fox isn’t a great prospect I’m just saying undersized defenseman who aren’t considered that fleet of foot at the very least usually need some seasoning and very rarely just walk in. Fox is a guy who’s on the path to be a possibility of that but to say it right now smacks of pumping the guy to justify the trade a little more. We gave up two young top 5 picks....that’s something Milbury would do and we did it for one guy who’s ufa in a few months and a prospect no one knows where he wants to play.

I’m not surprised he wants to pump Fox’s tires. I really hope he’s right.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I think there’s precedent, I’d refer back to Liles as well. Very similar to Butcher. There’s also a list of late bloomer Hobey Baker candidates and winners that were hyped and never did much at all. On defense Matt Gilroy comes to mind.

I’m not saying Fox isn’t a great prospect I’m just saying undersized defenseman who aren’t considered that fleet of foot at the very least usually need some seasoning and very rarely just walk in. Fox is a guy who’s on the path to be a possibility of that but to say it right now smacks of pumping the guy to justify the trade a little more. We gave up two young top 5 picks....that’s something Milbury would do and we did it for one guy who’s ufa in a few months and a prospect no one knows where he wants to play.

I’m not surprised he wants to pump Fox’s tires. I really hope he’s right.

the concern is understandable, but this does feel like a special player in my opinion. im not even entirely confident the term late bloomer would fit with fox considering he played for his country in the u20 twice and came right into the ncaa as a freshman and lit it up right away. it just seems like he was one of those players the process didn't accurately value in his draft season because he wasn't as physically imposing as other talents and his small stature turning a lot of clubs off of him. his skating being only decent instead of transcendent was another demerit, but i caution against believing he's not a good skater. it didn't seem to stand out much to me against his peers as a negative. i think he moves well enough to play up.

the thing that separates him from the matt gilroy class is that usually the players that you have to worry about are the defensemen that are rovers and won't get that same amount of rope at the nhl level for a variety of reasons. it's a different context but it's part of why i believe that jack johnson didn't have the anticipated impact offensively that was expected. as you mentioned about fox earlier, a lot of his points in the season debut came from running the powerplay and identifying the correct pass. that's usually a trait that will travel. will butcher and liles seem like better comparables. liles in particular because of the fact that he's a really thoughtful player and the offense usually stems from making poised plays on the point as opposed to fake slap shot, spinarama, top shelf snipe. he's an impeccable decision maker. as is generally the case with guys who produce numbers, defensive zone coverage is going to ultimately determine his slotting. there are reasons for optimism there, but it would be careless to suggest he has that zone solved.

as far as stepping in right away, it's not that absurd in my estimation. considering he'll be 21 by the time we see him in the league at the earliest projection is part of what makes people comfortable with that idea. the ncaa is serving as sort of an alternate development route to the ahl at times. players that sign as juniors or seniors are expected to have solved a lot of their own issues by that point.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don’t disagree with any of that. I was using Gilroy as an example of a college guy who got some hype and couldn’t deliver like many other dominant ncaa guys. I used Liles as an example because I agree with you there in that Fox falls into the Liles/Butcher category. I’m not convinced Fox has the skating that allowed Liles to do what he did, and that will be something we watch as hopefully he comes around.

He could step in. There’s a precedent and he could be that guy, I just think it’s too strong to project that expectation to us.

As for the late bloomer tag I gave him, there’s a ton of guys playing every year for both Canada and US that play big roles but were lower picks. He’s grown into someone that despite putting up stats before, has gone from being seen as a deserving lower pick to someone a lot of people have high hopes for. Maybe he bloomed more than late bloomed but I put those guys in that same area in my head. They have increased the expectations of their future by their play after the draft.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
This is pure insanity. The lengths people go... I love it for its absurdness.

And yet that's par for the course with BoH. Believe me it's been a battle at times but as I like to say if they didn't let the loonies spout their absolute bullshit they might actually have a borderline complete lack of activity on that board.

I will say some of the guys on the Winnipeg side of things when that went down DID in fact have good information. But the flip side of that is that they weren't absolutely adamant about it, knew that the situation was as always fluid, and weren't claiming a source as random as someone's f***ing cable guy. The comparison I made to Fugu and another admin that finally got them to crack down on that tool is that it's like one of us claiming our HVAC guy is an expert on all things Arizona Coyotes because who knows more about AC than people living in a desert?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I don’t disagree with any of that. I was using Gilroy as an example of a college guy who got some hype and couldn’t deliver like many other dominant ncaa guys. I used Liles as an example because I agree with you there in that Fox falls into the Liles/Butcher category. I’m not convinced Fox has the skating that allowed Liles to do what he did, and that will be something we watch as hopefully he comes around.

He could step in. There’s a precedent and he could be that guy, I just think it’s too strong to project that expectation to us.

As for the late bloomer tag I gave him, there’s a ton of guys playing every year for both Canada and US that play big roles but were lower picks. He’s grown into someone that despite putting up stats before, has gone from being seen as a deserving lower pick to someone a lot of people have high hopes for. Maybe he bloomed more than late bloomed but I put those guys in that same area in my head. They have increased the expectations of their future by their play after the draft.

This is the one spot that there is room for concern with Fox, but I'd argue (at least at prospects camp and the WJC level) he looked better than holding his own in that regard. But yeah, it's definitely not a Liles type case where the guy was stepping in from day 1 with a plus level skillset as a skater. It's always going to have to be more about positioning and smarts than pure skill for him in that regard. Not that Liles didn't have that going for him as well, he just also had legitimately plus level skating to go with it in a much slower skating era because of all the clutch and grab that was allowed to occur.

robbie111

Nov 10, 2013
very time i watch ferland play, the more shocked i am that calgary let him go. there's so much about his offensive game that's more than the greasy goals. he has really understated skill and his feel for offense is advanced. it wouldn't surprise me at all if he scores 30 goals if he can stay with aho. it isn't that he's having better luck than his career average, he's just creating more shots per game than he did with calgary in the early stages of the season by a substantial amount. he's a perfect compliment for aho and teuvo and it's not entirely surprising considering how he played with gaudreau. aho and gaudreau have some similarities. he's writing himself a blank check.

Glad to see Ferland working out so well for you guys. I think the reason he didn't score 30 last year was the injury (injuries) to Monahan half way through the season. Monahan needed wrist surgery but played through it and then also needed hernia surgery and played through that as well. He ended up getting 4 off season for various issues. Also Ferland suffered a concussion and that really slowed the line down. Up to that point they had been one of the most effective lines in the league.

Ferland has great skill and an awesome shot and hits like a tank and opens up lots of space for his linemates. You won't see a lot of guys taking runs at Aho with him on the team. Treliving didn't think he could sign Ferland for his next contract and keep the Flames under the cap with Tkachuk and other contracts coming up. Hope you guys can sign him long term.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Glad to see Ferland working out so well for you guys. I think the reason he didn't score 30 last year was the injury (injuries) to Monahan half way through the season. Monahan needed wrist surgery but played through it and then also needed hernia surgery and played through that as well. He ended up getting 4 off season for various issues. Also Ferland suffered a concussion and that really slowed the line down. Up to that point they had been one of the most effective lines in the league.

Ferland has great skill and an awesome shot and hits like a tank and opens up lots of space for his linemates. You won't see a lot of guys taking runs at Aho with him on the team. Treliving didn't think he could sign Ferland for his next contract and keep the Flames under the cap with Tkachuk and other contracts coming up. Hope you guys can sign him long term.

awesome, thanks for the information. as a flames fan, what would you say about ferland's trajectory as a late blooming player? it's pretty unusual for a player of his profile to be able to show progress as late in his career as he has. what kept him on the lower lines for most of his flames tenure?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad