Linden gets trashed by Hirsch's wife

Status
Not open for further replies.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
You are missing the point!!!

If Hirsche didnt take the Import spot...another minor-leaguer would have.

What fans are pissed about is that NHL Players flocked to Europe by the bus load to take part-time jobs while their "union" is trying to make sure they still make 1.8 million a year.

I think it is you who is mising the point. We are not talking about taking the import spot, we are talking about taking the roster spot. Hirsch did take somebody elses job, there is no way around it, because somebody must've been doing that job before he came. And while we are arguing about it, Hirsch has gone to German league. Taking somebody's job, I am sure.

The thing is, the total number of hockey jobs in the world has gone down by 720, because the NHL has closed its shop. That naturally has increased the competition for the jobs that are out there. Global economy, eh?

Onion Boy

Jan 29, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
La-La-Laprise said:
1 MAJOR difference is, Hirsch wasnt locked out of his job.

That is one thing a lot of people are missing. If players want to go to Europe to better their carrers people have no problem with it, but when you have been locked out you dont go and take someone elses job overseas. You stick with the "union" brothers until the matter is solved.

I think the Swiss goalie that got booted for Hirsch had a problem with it. Now Hirsch has gone to Germany to take someone elses job. If this isn't a clear cut case of hypocrisy, I haven't seen one.

The issue would be less important had Hirsch stayed in the U.S. to play in the AHL, ECHL, or wherever.

The hockey business is a dog eat dog world and Hirsch should've known that. If he wants a career with better job security, he should go out and get himself an education.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
HYPOCRISY.

That word defines the NHLPA in these negotiations. All I can say is that, when/if replacement players are implemented by the owners, I don't wanna hear a word from the NHLPA.

Hypocrisy: These players playing for a fraction of their respective salaries in europe, but won't negotiate a significant system that would cutback their salaries here in North America. :dunno:

Onion Boy

Jan 29, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
I'll bite.

Hypocrisy: Owners crying about lack of revenue while refusing a soft cap system that by its very nature generates revenue for the league. Furthermore, they promote a system that does nothing to help the weaker clubs that couldn't break the 31mil threshold anyway.

The players play on the cheap because their livelihood does not depend on this income. If they were to remain in Europe forever, I think they would want more money. I fail to see the hypocrisy in their actions.

braincramp

Mar 10, 2004
The distinction between strike and lockout is a poor basis for assigning blame in anything. Does anyone seriously suggest that the NHLPA/players have not played a significant role in causing the cancellation of the season? We're not playing because there are two parties who will not relent, and each because they want a better economic return.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Hirsch hasn't taken anyone's roster spot.

Germany has 12 licences for foreigners, only 11 of them are allowed to play in a game. Once a licence is given to a player it can't be used again, even if the player leaves, unlike in other European leagues. No team has "bought" more than 11 foreigners until now, because there is no need for it. They are too expensive to have one of them being a healthy scratch.

Hirsch now went to Germany as the 12th foreigner, because the starting goalie of Kassel is injured and their backup wasn't playing well. The team dropped to the last place in the league and they have to make sure that they will get away from the bottom, because if they don't, they are in danger of being relegated to the second division.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
Sanderson said:
Hirsch now went to Germany as the 12th foreigner, because the starting goalie of Kassel is injured and their backup wasn't playing well. The team dropped to the last place in the league and they have to make sure that they will get away from the bottom, because if they don't, they are in danger of being relegated to the second division.

It is good to hear that Hirsch is not as hypocritical as he seemed for a moment there.

He still took the backup's job :p:

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
It's irrelevant if Hirsch took someone else's job. Because the fact is that Hirsch was genuinely competing for it. There were X amount of guys who wanted the job, and Hirsch got it.

That's not the case with these NHL'ers. We point out again - They don't want his job. The moment the NHL lockout is over, they'll be on the next plane out of there.

*That's* the hypocrisy. Taking a job you don't want or need solely to keep busy until your "real" job opens up again. If you genuinely compete for it, want it, and will stay with it, fine. Nobody has a problem with that.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
PecaFan said:
It's irrelevant if Hirsch took someone else's job. Because the fact is that Hirsch was genuinely competing for it. There were X amount of guys who wanted the job, and Hirsch got it.

That's not the case with these NHL'ers. We point out again - They don't want his job. The moment the NHL lockout is over, they'll be on the next plane out of there.

*That's* the hypocrisy. Taking a job you don't want or need solely to keep busy until your "real" job opens up again. If you genuinely compete for it, want it, and will stay with it, fine. Nobody has a problem with that.

Exactly. I really don`t see why people find this so hard to grasp.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
it's like if you were telling me that because I work at my job, I take someone else's job. Because if I wouldn't have the job, it would be to someone else.

Linden's arguments really suck.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
shveik said:
He still took the backup's job :p:

He actually didn't do that either ;)

I didn't express it well.
22 players are on the gamesheet, 11 of them can be foreigners. The backup goalie would count towards the eleven foreigners, if he is a foreigner.

As there are already 11 foreigners playing, either a foreign forward or defensemen has to sit (which is unlikely) or the second foreign goalie.
It gets even more complicated, because there are further restrictions. If 11 foreigners play, only 7 Germans over the age of 23 can be on the gamesheet, for a total of 18 players. The rest has to be under 23 (25 for goalies).

As you can see, the backup won't lose his job, but there might be a battle between the two foreign goalies...

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Street Hawk said:
All of the other players in these leagues are committed to their team for the entire season. These NHLers, like you said all have outs in their contracts that allows them to return to the NHL when the CBA is signed. That's what bothers me about NHLers going to Europe.

The guys on these club teams, for whatever reason, whether they're on their way up or down in hockey, have given their commitment to the club team for the season. To have the NHLers at some point during the season say "see ya later" can't sit well with their team mates in Europe.

This argument has been going around these boards for so long, that I've waited for somebody to point the obvious flaw in it. Actually quite a few players on Euroleagues have this "NHL-clause" in their contracts, that they can leave their Euro team to pursue their career in the NHL or even with NHL farms teams. At least those players, who have been drafted, but have not played in the NHL yet. So NHL-players coming to Europe are as committed to their team as most other players who were already there.

How else NHL could sign the Europlayers after training camp, since most European teams have already started their domestic season by then or at least their rosters are set? And by the way, quite a few European teams have been quite pissed with NHL teams "stealing" usually their best players when the season has already started in Europe. And furthermore, for relative peanuts compensation (the money received as compensation cannot buy an equally good player, if there would be somebody of that standard without a contract somehow). This is one of the reasons a lot of Euroleagues were ubhappy with the expired CBA and the agreement between IIHF and NHL.

And even if a player hadn't this NHL-clause in his contract, he can always bought from his contract with money (free market in full force here). One of the latest cases being Edmonton hiring Niinimaki from Ilves in Finland, Edmonton agreed to pay Ilves 200 000 US$, if the players ever makes the NHL or signs an NHL contract, I believe. (Bytheway, Ilves used the salary saved from Niinimaki's contract to hire Patrik Stefan to replace him).

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
gary69 said:
One of the latest cases being Edmonton hiring Niinimaki from Ilves in Finland, Edmonton agreed to pay Ilves 200 000 US$, if the players ever makes the NHL or signs an NHL contract, I believe. (Bytheway, Ilves used the salary saved from Niinimaki's contract to hire Patrik Stefan to replace him).

You are way off. Stefan was signed well before Niinimaki was signed by Edmonton. The reason Niinimaki was brought over from Finland by the Oilers was because he slid down the Ilves depth chart with the signing of Stefan... and wasn't going to get the ice time the Oilers felt he needed. They signed him to a deal (actually the Roadrunners did... but whatever), in order to bring him over so that they could develop him.

bling

Jun 23, 2004
Ryderama said:
it's like if you were telling me that because I work at my job, I take someone else's job. Because if I wouldn't have the job, it would be to someone else.

Linden's arguments really suck.

After reading your comment 6 times, I finally think I see what you are trying to say.
Yes as a matter fact you are correct, because you have a job another person who wants that job can not have it.

You are obviously a scab and no better than the person who has taken poor Mrs. Hirsch's husbands job. :shakehead

In a free market system the best qualified applicant is usually the one who gets the job. How does that argument suck?

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
dawgbone said:
You are way off. Stefan was signed well before Niinimaki was signed by Edmonton. The reason Niinimaki was brought over from Finland by the Oilers was because he slid down the Ilves depth chart with the signing of Stefan... and wasn't going to get the ice time the Oilers felt he needed. They signed him to a deal (actually the Roadrunners did... but whatever), in order to bring him over so that they could develop him.

I'm only quoting what the Ilves GM said on the local Finnish paper (Aamulehti) interview, I believe last friday, he even said that since Niinimaki was one of the best paid players in the team and not produding (slid down the depth chart like you said), they might even have money to pay for another NHL player (but not more than one though). And the negotiations had being going on for a while, hence ability to bring on Stefan. I don't know if he was telling the truth or not, I only mentioned this as an example.

Since I don't really care of neither team at the moment, I'm sure you can discuss this with your more knowledgeable finnish pals on the Edmonton board, who might have better access to the team or that local paper.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
forbesy said:
Interesting enough, Gerber has moved on to SEL.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/news.php?news=1133

So much for Gerber heading home to Switzerland to play for/help a homeland team, a player following his heart. He's stuffed up one goalie's season in the Swiss league and now he's dumping his homeland team and bailing out for Sweden. WTF. If he doesn't care about Swiss hockey why go there in the first place, why not go straight to Sweden, why dump them after signing? Hope there is more to it than meets the eye. :shakehead

Last edited:

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
bling said:
In a free market system the best qualified applicant is usually the one who gets the job. How does that argument suck?

Typically in a free market, the best qualified applicant wouldn't get the job if he said he was just killing time for a few months, maybe longer, until he could return to a better job...

bling

Jun 23, 2004
djhn579 said:
Typically in a free market, the best qualified applicant wouldn't get the job if he said he was just killing time for a few months, maybe longer, until he could return to a better job...

Quite the contrary, do you think the employers of Martin Gerber were not totally aware of the situation he is in? Yet they still chose to hire the best qualified applicant even for the short term with full knowledge of his agenda.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
Corey Hirsch, and his wife have been dead on with their comments. NHL'ers whom are taking up roster spots not because they need to, but just to stay in shape is just pathetic. Its obvious these NHL'ers have no intentions of staying in europe, and thats why these european leaguers are upset, because to NHL'ers the euro leagues are there to bide time until the lockout ends, but for the actual european leaguers, these leagues are their NHL, and the way they support their families.

I don't know how some of you NHLPA pom pom wavers can't realize this simple idea. :shakehead

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
puck you said:
Corey Hirsch, and his wife have been dead on with their comments. NHL'ers whom are taking up roster spots not because they need to, but just to stay in shape is just pathetic. Its obvious these NHL'ers have no intentions of staying in europe, and thats why these european leaguers are upset, because to NHL'ers the euro leagues are there to bide time until the lockout ends, but for the actual european leaguers, these leagues are their NHL, and the way they support their families.

I don't know how some of you NHLPA pom pom wavers can't realize this simple idea. :shakehead

Maybe, just maybe, Corey Hirsch and itinerate players of his ilk should have done a bit more career planning. Scratching out a living playing minor league hockey and moving from town to town, country to country, is no way to raise a family.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
Bicycle Repairman said:
Maybe, just maybe, Corey Hirsch and itinerate players of his ilk should have done a bit more career planning. Scratching out a living playing minor league hockey and moving from town to town, country to country, is no way to raise a family.

What in the hell does that have anything to do with players unnecessarily taking other players jobs in europe?

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Skittles said:
The Hirsch's seem like a scary family, and getting his wife to stick up for him seems a little weird.

If you ever had the unfortunate opportunity to meet Cory Hirche and his wife you would understand, I met them several times at season ticket holder events, glad he is gone. Oh and by the way Trevor Linden was one of the reasons Cory Hirsche left the Canucks. Maybe just a little bit of resentment on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad