Linden gets trashed by Hirsch's wife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/2004/11/07/704742.html

Shelagh Hirsch, in an e-mail to the Sun, said Linden distorted the facts of Hirsch's arrival in Europe.

Linden conveniently ignored the fact most leagues allow for a couple of imports on each team and Hirsch was recruited to use one of those import cards, she said.

"Those are uneducated comments about Corey taking someone's job in Europe," wrote Shelagh Hirsch.

"He's on an import card and there are two per team. He signed in the summer only a year ago, not three years ago.

"(Linden) should look himself in the mirror and see if he's leading the players down the wrong path. The fans need to know that this guy doesn't research before he speaks ... (Linden)'s just pulling at straws."

Now that's a major ouch for Linden and she makes a good point, it will make some players think if Linden's the right person to lead their fight.

jpsharkfan

Jun 10, 2004
Linden is still 100% consistant. Every time that man speaks he puts his foot right in his mouth. He should be charging the NHL for all the PR work he is doing for them! :lol

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
BLONG7 said:
Trevor really looks like a "Knob" goodenow on this one... way to go Trevor, being trashed talked to by a goalie's wife!!! :lol :yo: :banana:
A baaaad Goalie's Wife at that... :lol

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
The Hirsch's seem like a scary family, and getting his wife to stick up for him seems a little weird.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
Her theory has one major flaw:
Hirsch, who lost his job in Switzerland to Martin Gerber of the Carolina Hurricances, has now gone to Germany to play for Kassell.

Gerber is Swiss. He's taking up a roster spot, but he isn't taking up an import spot.

bling

Jun 23, 2004
Douggy said:
Her theory has one major flaw:

Gerber is Swiss. He's taking up a roster spot, but he isn't taking up an import spot.

It sounds like the Swiss team's management made a very smart move. They brought in a far superior, native son, goalie plus freed up an import spot on their roster.

All you management suck ups ought be giving props to these wise team managers....or do you only support NHL team owners?

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
I'm a Canuck fan, and usually Trevor Linden is very well spoken, and is a player that a lot of fans can relate to, although right now in the midst of these negotiations, or lack there of, he's making an even bigger fool of himself every time he opens his mouth.

It's disgusting to see one of the players I highly respect promoting Bob Goodenow's nonsensical crap. For Trevor's sake, I just hope he comes to his senses soon, and realizes that the PA is fighting a losing battle.

nswingsfan

Dec 18, 2002
Visit site
There is no problem with competition for jobs in the NHL, AHL,or any European league. In the case of Hirsch, he left the NHL and decided to pursue a career in another league and like any other player, he had to earn his way in. Why he left the NHL is irrelevant, his goal to pursue a career in another league is relevant.

I see nothing wrong with the owners in the AHL and in Europe signing these NHL players. They'd be crazy not to.

The problem I'm having is with the NHL players. They are signing on in Europe and in the AHL as stop gap measures only and everyone of them has an option in their contract to return to the NHL when the issues in the NHL are resolved. Not one of them is looking at this as a career with the possible exception of Forsberg. So there is a major difference between Hirsch and the NHL players. They are in fact a form of Scabs and you can bet that the NHL players will refer to Europeans as Scabs if and when an impasse is declared and some of those European players that lost their jobs come in as replacements.

I can just see Linden now taking the podium and telling his union bretheren that these are not scabs and that competing for jobs is part of the business. :shakehead

They should take a lesson from the refs and have some dignity.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Agree...

nswingsfan said:
There is no problem with competition for jobs in the NHL, AHL,or any European league. In the case of Hirsch, he left the NHL and decided to pursue a career in another league and like any other player, he had to earn his way in. Why he left the NHL is irrelevant, his goal to pursue a career in another league is relevant.

I see nothing wrong with the owners in the AHL and in Europe signing these NHL players. They'd be crazy not to.

The problem I'm having is with the NHL players. They are signing on in Europe and in the AHL as stop gap measures only and everyone of them has an option in their contract to return to the NHL when the issues in the NHL are resolved. Not one of them is looking at this as a career with the possible exception of Forsberg. So there is a major difference between Hirsch and the NHL players. They are in fact a form of Scabs and you can bet that the NHL players will refer to Europeans as Scabs if and when an impasse is declared and some of those European players that lost their jobs come in as replacements.

I can just see Linden now taking the podium and telling his union bretheren that these are not scabs and that competing for jobs is part of the business. :shakehead

They should take a lesson from the refs and have some dignity.

All of the other players in these leagues are committed to their team for the entire season. These NHLers, like you said all have outs in their contracts that allows them to return to the NHL when the CBA is signed. That's what bothers me about NHLers going to Europe.

The guys on these club teams, for whatever reason, whether they're on their way up or down in hockey, have given their commitment to the club team for the season. To have the NHLers at some point during the season say "see ya later" can't sit well with their team mates in Europe.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Benton Fraser said:
Didn't Hirsch take someone's spot in the Swiss League though. Linden is 100% correct here. Hirsch took a players spot in that league, then someone has taken Hirsch's spot later.

1 MAJOR difference is, Hirsch wasnt locked out of his job.

That is one thing a lot of people are missing. If players want to go to Europe to better their carrers people have no problem with it, but when you have been locked out you dont go and take someone elses job overseas. You stick with the "union" brothers until the matter is solved.

bling

Jun 23, 2004
La-La-Laprise said:
1 MAJOR difference is, Hirsch wasnt locked out of his job.

That is one thing a lot of people are missing. If players want to go to Europe to better their carrers people have no problem with it, but when you have been locked out you dont go and take someone elses job overseas. You stick with the "union" brothers until the matter is solved.

Why not?
If my job refused to let me work I would seek similar work elsewhere.
This is the difference between a strike and a lockout. If the players had made the decision not to work then it would behoove them to stick together with their union brethern, demonstrate solidarity by picketing and and all that. This however is the owners decision to not allow them to work, therefore it is perfectly acceptable for them to seek other employment.

Trevor Londen said nothing to be dragged through the mud over...he stated that Hirsch took someone elses job when he went to Europe to play, obviously someone who was considered not as good as he. What is the untruth in that?

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
bling said:
Why not?
This is the difference between a strike and a lockout. If the players had made the decision not to work then it would behoove them to stick together with their union brethern, demonstrate solidarity by picketing and and all that. This however is the owners decision to not allow them to work, therefore it is perfectly acceptable for them to seek other employment.

Trevor Londen said nothing to be dragged through the mud over...he stated that Hirsch took someone elses job when he went to Europe to play, obviously someone who was considered not as good as he. What is the untruth in that?

I know but its the principle around the whole thing. The "union" talks of solidaridy when 1/3 of their players are half way across the world.

OK fine, they can seek other employment, but do you think they will sit tight and think bringing replacement players is perfectly accpetable?

Hirsch DIDNT take someone elses job. He was an IMPORT player. He didnt take a job from a local guy over there.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
bling said:
Why not?

It boggles my mind how people continue to defend NHLers playing in Europe, hell even other players are saying its not right. If an NHLer signs to play a whole season in europe, great, fine, too bad for the player that loses his job, thats the life of a professional athlete. But when hundreds of players sign to play only while the lockout sorts itself out, putting other hockey players out of work just to keep in shape, that is not right. It just isn`t. That is the problem for me. Linden can say what he wants about Hirsch taking someones job, but the fact is that Hirsch committed to the team for an entire season, and not just until he wants to go back to the NHL. That is the difference, why can`t you people see that?

bling

Jun 23, 2004
La-La-Laprise said:
Hirsch DIDNT take someone elses job. He was an IMPORT player. He didnt take a job from a local guy over there.

I'll bet that team was pretty ****** without a goalie....
Yes he was an import player, what of it? An import player is still counted against a teams roster. The team still is allowed only x amount of players regardless of where they come from. Import or not he still replaced a player that was there before he came.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
bling said:
I'll bet that team was pretty ****** without a goalie....
Yes he was an import player, what of it? An import player is still counted against a teams roster. The team still is allowed only x amount of players regardless of where they come from. Import or not he still replaced a player that was there before he came.

Yes but its not like Hirsch was an established NHL player. He went to Europe to further his carrer, not to get some "game action" while the lockout is going on.

By Hirsch going to Europe it freed up a spot in the AHL.

bling

Jun 23, 2004
La-La-Laprise said:
Yes but its not like Hirsch was an established NHL player. He went to Europe to further his carrer, not to get some "game action" while the lockout is going on.

By Hirsch going to Europe it freed up a spot in the AHL.

Regardless of Hirsh's skill or lack of it, whether he played for AHL, CHL or NHL, or whatever reason he went to Europe..he took another players job and he, nor his wife, has absolutely any right to whine and snivel about a locked out NHL player beating him out for a job.

That is what this discussion is about...

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
bling said:
Regardless of Hirsh's skill or lack of it, whether he played for AHL, CHL or NHL, or whatever reason he went to Europe..he took another players job and he, nor his wife, has absolutely any right to whine and snivel about a locked out NHL player beating him out for a job.

That is what this discussion is about...

You are missing the point!!!

If Hirsche didnt take the Import spot...another minor-leaguer would have.

What fans are pissed about is that NHL Players flocked to Europe by the bus load to take part-time jobs while their "union" is trying to make sure they still make 1.8 million a year.

bling

Jun 23, 2004
La-La-Laprise said:
You are missing the point!!!

If Hirsche didnt take the Import spot...another minor-leaguer would have.

What fans are pissed about is that NHL Players flocked to Europe by the bus load to take part-time jobs while their "union" is trying to make sure they still make 1.8 million a year.

No, this discussion is about Hirsch's wife trying to make Trevor Linden look bad by claiming he took an import spot and for some reason both you and she thought that meant Hirsch didn't take another players job. Both you and she are wrong.

Some fans may be pissed about NHLers going to Europe to play. I am a fan and I am not pissed about it. I think it is wonderful that the people of Europe get to see their home grown talent playing in their home town rinks.

If you look at the majority of NHLers going to Europe you will see that most are Europeans going home..I did say most as I am very aware that some North Americans are over there too, but I also think that is a nice treat for the European leagues to get a chance to have the best of the best playing for their entertainment.

How selfish of you and your fellow player haters to not want the people of Sweden, Czech Republic, Russia, Finland and all the other European countries to have the opportunity to see the best players in the world competing against each other.

I.am.ca

I am alright with it if these locked out players signed a full year contract.

See now if these locked out players sign for a full year, then ok they aren't taking a job they are just finding a new league. But if these jackasses just sign till the NHL season resumes, then i have a major problem with that. If your on "Strike" you dont go and join some other work force because yours is on strike and then leave and leave that company short handed and have the people that take over take a low cut in pay to fix up the mess they leave behind and expect to survive with the cpl thousand they would get.

There are things called car payments, mortage, and if you have kids you have to feed them, clothe them, and buy them toys at least.

NHL players are stealing jobs from the guys that went over to europe to resume their career cuz they couldnt get a full time roster spot in the NHL.

bling

Jun 23, 2004
I.am.ca said:
I am alright with it if these locked out players signed a full year contract.

See now if these locked out players sign for a full year, then ok they aren't taking a job they are just finding a new league. But if these jackasses just sign till the NHL season resumes, then i have a major problem with that. If your on "Strike" you dont go and join some other work force because yours is on strike and then leave and leave that company short handed and have the people that take over take a low cut in pay to fix up the mess they leave behind and expect to survive with the cpl thousand they would get.

There are things called car payments, mortage, and if you have kids you have to feed them, clothe them, and buy them toys at least.

NHL players are stealing jobs from the guys that went over to europe to resume their career cuz they couldnt get a full time roster spot in the NHL.

Once again this is not a strike it is a lockout, the NHL players have not choice about going to work at their regular jobs...the doors are locked, thay can't get in. They did not chose this. Therefore they are free to join any other workforce that will have them.

The Euro leagues are begging and pleading to get these guys to play for them, if you are looking for a villian here look at the owners of the European teams who are kicking there non-NHLers to the curb so they can sign the NHL players. The owners and the fans over there want the best available and who amongst us can blame them. It is all about supply and demand....the dreaded free markey system...LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad